BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
SecretSaver
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe, 2006 SLK 55

I am going to be hated for this...

So, after looking at the latest lease residuals and money factors, coupled with the great deals some of the dealers who frequent these forums, I made the decision to part ways with my 2009 335i Coupe Sport Pack car and order a Euro Delivery M3 convertible. I figured that the payment for this car would be in the low $600s, which is amazing considering the price of the car. Then I drove and M3 Convertible for the first time like I would drive the car 75% of the time, and that is driving it in traffic, running errands and generally using it for what most normal people use a car for, not for its true intent which is to have as much fun behind the wheel as you possibly can. Now, it accomplishes this last feat incredibly well, so it makes a great toy. Then again my 06 SLK 55 with 14,000 miles on the clock is even more fun as a toy. However, my goal was to get one car and sell the SLK and the 335. Unfortunately, as a day to day car, I found the M3 to just flat out suck. Sorry to all the fan boys, but with the top up it is loud, the ride on the crappy Charlotte roads is stiff and the DCT is not as good as those found in the VW/Audi products. Oh yeah, the gas mileage is 2/3rds that of a 335 and the car (although I know on a track is faster) does not feel any quicker in real world driving.

Now, the car dynamically is brilliant, even in the overweight convertible version. If it were not for the dual clutch transmissions in VW/Audi, I would have nothing but praise for the DCT in the MC. The leather is sublime, the engine makes incredible noises and revs unlike anything outside of those prancing horses from Maranello. A retractable hard top on a four place car is a great thing for both security and foul weather. Individually, these parts are simply awesome. Put into one package, and on the track... WOW! On the road, BOO!

Thus, it looks like I am going to keep the 335i (lease is $550 a month) and the SLK 55 for at least a little while longer. Would have loved to simplified my life and gotten one car for everything, but the 335 is just a better all around daily car in my opinion, and the SLK (at least in 55 form) is very rare, and with that fat 5403cc mill under the hood, is still a blast to drive (even if the 7 speed auto leaves something to be desired.

Hate me if you must, but for anyone out there considering an M3 over a 335 for daily use, think twice before you make the final decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

No hate here. You get the car(s) that suit you. The M3 isn't for everyone. I find the M3 a great car on the road. But I don't drive in traffic all the time and I have a coupe, not a vert. I'm happy with my decision.

The 335 is a great car too. Good luck.

Cheers.
      01-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Chuck.Ruiz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 xDrive - M Package

It sounds like you just need a better commute. Mine is 20 miles of twisty backroads where an open road is pretty common. *sigh* Spring can't come quickly enough!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

I had the same negative impressions of the M3 vert, but it turns out that all the problems with the DCT and the noise and comfort can be easily solved.

Simply put the noise and comfort issue are fixed by adding more sound deadening material to the car and swapping tires, and the DCT problem is solved by changing the setting on the transmission. Plus to an extent you'll get used to all these problems.

The M3 is a little rough around the edges but with a little DIY it's as good as the 335i.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

dont worry what other people say, everyone is different. At the end of the day you have to do what is best for you! stick to your guns and enjoy knowing you made the right choice for you.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
UA
///M User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
No hate here. You get the car(s) that suit you. The M3 isn't for everyone. I find the M3 a great car on the road. But I don't drive in traffic all the time and I have a coupe, not a vert. I'm happy with my decision.

The 335 is a great car too. Good luck.

Cheers.
+1

If you are happy with the 335 as a daily driver and you're happy with the SLK55 as a toy then there's no need to look further. My M3 is my only car, my daily driver that I use for everything. I couldn't be happier with it, it does everything so well. I can't speak for DCT. However, seems that you have done your research and driven the car and if you don't like it then it's not for you, not everyone will like the M3. If everyone did then it would be a boring world. However, IMO I would assume that the majority of people with 335's would jump into an M3 if the price difference was ~$100/mo. I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
This is why BMW makes all different type of cars. Buy the one fits your preference the best.

Enjoy the 335i, its still a great daily driver.
      01-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
SecretSaver
Rep

I do have to wonder though, could part of the noise issue be because it is a convertible, even one with a hard top? I had drive M3 verts before, and a sedan and was flogging them and really enjoyed them. Today's drive was about using it as a daily driver and for me it just was not there. Mostly because of the noise, not so much about the ride. I honestly did not think it road any worse than my 335 did before I got rid of the run craps and went to Conti DW tires. On a side note these tires are truly quiet, have great wet traction, great ride (compared to the run craps at least) and don't lose too much turn in response.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

You don't deserve an M3 and I hate you because I must hate you. You have insulted my car, and for that you must be driven from the land and hounded like the dog you are. C'mon, I could care less what you decide. Go forth and prosper in lesser vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

I use my m3 as a DD, and I love it , can't really understand why u hate it.
      01-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
SecretSaver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
I use my m3 as a DD, and I love it , can't really understand why u hate it.
I don't hate the car, I just don't love it, and I really wanted to. So I guess I am just disappointed. I imagine if I was coming out of my old E46 M3 Convertible, that I would probably have absolutely loved it, but now that I have had my 335 for a little while, I just don't. Maybe my tastes are just changing. Perhaps it is just that an M3 convertible is kind of a compromise, and compromises never seem to work out all that well. That may be why a 12k a year 36 month lease has a 63% residual with a base money factor of .0009, where as the coupe is 60% I believe with a .0017 money factor. They can't move the convertibles because they just don't make that much sense. I imagine I would probably really have a different opinion of the M3 coupe. Oh well, the M3 is still an awesome car, I just don't love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSaver View Post
I don't hate the car, I just don't love it, and I really wanted to. So I guess I am just disappointed. I imagine if I was coming out of my old E46 M3 Convertible, that I would probably have absolutely loved it, but now that I have had my 335 for a little while, I just don't. Maybe my tastes are just changing. Perhaps it is just that an M3 convertible is kind of a compromise, and compromises never seem to work out all that well. That may be why a 12k a year 36 month lease has a 63% residual with a base money factor of .0009, where as the coupe is 60% I believe with a .0017 money factor. They can't move the convertibles because they just don't make that much sense. I imagine I would probably really have a different opinion of the M3 coupe. Oh well, the M3 is still an awesome car, I just don't love it.
it is ok.. find the car that suit you best.. you are the one buying the car don't care about others.. there are a lot of dbags on the forum.

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I felt the same when i test drove an M3 at the dealer, i wasnt a huge fan. It wasnt until a friend let me take his M3 and drive it more spirited where i felt the true nature of the M3. Of course i went and ordered one the next day.

Never driven the vert though and that could be the reason for all the noise. BTW, had a 335i also before.

Stick to what you enjoy.
      01-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 X5 M/05 F430/12 CTS-V Coupe

I had no issues with the DCT and I thought it worked really well. It was a lot of fun when you set the M settings in the most agressive mode. Otherwise, I thought the M3 was a great DD. But to each his/her own......Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue Metallic - DCT (Traded)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

I test drove both 335i and M3 as well and there is absolutely no comparison between them, M3 is way more fun. Although I test drove/bought a coupe and use it for everyday driving, so I don't know about the e93. Honestly I think the M3 convertible is for girls mostly, but that's my opinion. Also I got 6MT so I don't know about the the DCT. IMO keep the ones that make you happy, so if you like the 335i more, keep that one.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

I was born and raised in Charlotte, and have since lived all over the US and world including Germany. If you think Charlotte roads are bad, you need to travel more. Charlotte re-paves roads faster than any place I've ever been. They don't fill holes, they re-pave the whole thing. They're fast and good at it. Germany fills pot holes and an old road in Germany is pretty damn bad. Some old sections of the Autobahns will rattle your teeth out.

I agree Charlotte traffic can suck as it's mainly 4 lane roads everywhere and more cops than you shake a stick at. Stoplights too. And commute times in certain directions are hell.

I think you prove my point to myself in that today's BMW driver wants a quiet, comfy car. Gone are the Ultimate Driving Machine days. Everyone wants a little grunt so they can peel off effortlessly to the speed limit, and maybe a little more. But rarely do BMW drivers in the States know what the car is really made for, and where it excels.

I would enjoy a M3 far more than 335 as Charlotte does have a lot of twisty roads and the mountains aren't that far away. Both cars are freakin' smooth as to be in a BMW these days, is to be cocooned away in comfort.

Come out to Vegas if you want to drive on crappy roads with no grip whatsoever!
      01-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #17
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Never driven the vert though and that could be the reason for all the noise. BTW, had a 335i also before.
I did. In my view it is not comparable to Coupe. You can feel the weight and you can feel that the chasis is not as rigid. I never like 4 seater convertebles anyways... E92 feels much more solid.
      01-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #18
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSaver View Post
I do have to wonder though, could part of the noise issue be because it is a convertible, even one with a hard top? I had drive M3 verts before, and a sedan and was flogging them and really enjoyed them. Today's drive was about using it as a daily driver and for me it just was not there. Mostly because of the noise, not so much about the ride. I honestly did not think it road any worse than my 335 did before I got rid of the run craps and went to Conti DW tires. On a side note these tires are truly quiet, have great wet traction, great ride (compared to the run craps at least) and don't lose too much turn in response.
The convertible is much louder than the coupe because of reduced sound deadening. Likewise the coupe with the carbon roof is much louder than the coupe with the moonroof, which is hard to explain.

The coupe with the moonroof will be about as loud as a 335i. Like I said though, you can add additional sound deadening to any car, with only a modest weight increase. This isn't really something to worry about, it's rather easy to do.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #19
emthreeboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

Its nice to see people share different likings, enjoy your 335i.

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #20
pmccut
Fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Likewise the coupe with the carbon roof is much louder than the coupe with the moonroof, which is hard to explain.

The coupe with the moonroof will be about as loud as a 335i.
Really? I haven't heard this theory before - but I haven't driven one with CF roof. Maybe I'll get one as a loaner on my next service
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #21
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I only use my E93 during the summer, so perhaps I am bit jaded, but for those blissful warm months my thoughts tend to run....

I could care less about MPG. You gotta pay to play.

I could care less about noise, although I don't it particularly bad in most situations. At 120 MPH on the Autobahn with the roof down, there is more to focus on, but the noise is intense in a good way.

I have three pedals.

Just my two cents.

Although why post (with a low post count) about why you dislike a car, unless you were trying to tempt a flame. In the end, its your money, get what you want. I will suffer with car for the time being.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #22
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

okay, 335i vs. M3 thread...you can come out now....
Appreciate 0