BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Replace Steering Wheel Emblem

I searched around on this forum and a couple other sources, as well as call a dealership and talk to the parts and service depts. I learned that the emblem on the steering wheel cannot be replaced without ruining the airbag, but I have not found why this is. I've already removed my emblem, and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Just three little slits where the tabs on the metal backing go through. I've even put it back. So what is the big deal? Why can't it be replaced and how/why does it ruin the airbag?
      01-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #2
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
I searched around on this forum and a couple other sources, as well as call a dealership and talk to the parts and service depts. I learned that the emblem on the steering wheel cannot be replaced without ruining the airbag, but I have not found why this is. I've already removed my emblem, and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Just three little slits where the tabs on the metal backing go through. I've even put it back. So what is the big deal? Why can't it be replaced and how/why does it ruin the airbag?
It's ruined because there's no replacement part for just the roundel. You have to get a new airbag if it's damaged. Also I thought the tabs on the emblem are hooked so that it holds onto the airbag. If you pull it off doesn't it bend the hooks straight making it hard to secure? This was the case for the e46.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

for a steering wheel roundel, if youre looking for a different look, we have black/white and also carbon fiber ones that have pre-applied 3M on the back that entirely covers the OEM roundel
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
...Also I thought the tabs on the emblem are hooked so that it holds onto the airbag. If you pull it off doesn't it bend the hooks straight making it hard to secure? This was the case for the e46.
The tabs bend back just a easily as they bend to remove. I've already removed mine and put it back. If the airbag really isn't affected, then I don't know why nobody sells just the Roundel. The replacement ones that cover them up are just too big and look out of place.
      01-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
It's ruined because there's no replacement part for just the roundel. You have to get a new airbag if it's damaged. Also I thought the tabs on the emblem are hooked so that it holds onto the airbag. If you pull it off doesn't it bend the hooks straight making it hard to secure? This was the case for the e46.
What's ruined? The emblem or the airbag? Why would anybody buy a whole new airbag just because the emblem in the center of the steering wheels gets damaged? Furhtermore, why wouldn't BMW offer a replacement? Why would they expect, or try to get, owners to buy a new airbag? Where's the greeness in that?