BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-17-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

Cobb Nissan GTR takes on the Techart Porsche 997 GT Street

sorry not M related but worth a click. sorry if this is a repost

go to ON AIR and click on Head 2 Head: Cobb vs TechArt

http://player27.narrowstep.tv/nsp.as...#ns_dummy_link

i quess the war paints didnt help

Cobb GTR
3.8 V-6tt AWD
600hp
580lb-ft
3800lb
$99K

TechArt GT Street
3.6 F-6tt AWD
630hp
604lb-ft
3400lb
$260k
      10-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

The Biggest thing that I miss about living in Utah is hanging out with Trey and Christian at Cobb... What a great bunch, I just wish they would develop for the M...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

It sounds like the tires on the 997 were gone...& the GTR looked like it had R888 or NT01's....so thats not really fair
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius View Post

Did you ever wonder why the Techart Porsche would come to a contest "unprepared"? I mean, it's not likely they just asked the Techart Porsche to participate in the contest 5min before the test began! Sounds like a "good excuse" IMHO!
Celsius is exactly right... the "tire issue" is just an excuse. I can't think of 1 respectable performance engineering company who would participate in an event like this without being throughly prepared and that includes the PROPER Rubber. If by chance Techart just missed that little detail then shame on them. These things are planned out months ahead and the companies go to great lengths to perform above expectations. Hell, its their name on the line.

I know exactly what Cobb does to prepare as I have been with them on several such occasions. They go to great lengths and expense to make sure that they give it their all.

Maybe Techart felt a bit cocky or over confident in their car and figured not to fully prepare properly. In the end though, their $200K Porsche FAILED hardcore to a $99K car that on paper has less power/torque and more weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumphoto View Post
Celsius is exactly right... the "tire issue" is just an excuse. I can't think of 1 respectable performance engineering company who would participate in an event like this without being throughly prepared and that includes the PROPER Rubber. If by chance Techart just missed that little detail then shame on them. These things are planned out months ahead and the companies go to great lengths to perform above expectations. Hell, its their name on the line.

I know exactly what Cobb does to prepare as I have been with them on several such occasions. They go to great lengths and expense to make sure that they give it their all.

Maybe Techart felt a bit cocky or over confident in their car and figured not to fully prepare properly. In the end though, their $200K Porsche FAILED hardcore to a $99K car that on paper has less power/torque and more weight.
Techart isn't some high end porsche motor tuner, they make most of their money from their body kits and rims not their engine tunes.

You take a car with the AWE kit on the 997 turbo and it will destroy that GTR.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Techart isn't some high end porsche motor tuner, they make most of their money from their body kits and rims not their engine tunes.

I am not into tuning cars, like you lot in the States, so to comment on one tuning house being better than another is something I couldn't do.

What I saw in this video chip was a less powerful (HP & torque) GTR which also happened to weigh a lot more (400lbs) destroy a 630hp 997Turbo in acceleration. Now unless neither of these cars had their power figures tested that shows that the rest of the GTR's transmission must be pretty special.

Also, look at the difference in lap times. I understand Techart are making excuses but based on this evidence the GTR is in another league to the Porsche, listen to the comments from the driver, the GTR was incredible in the corners compared to the understeery Porsche, which is just the way a stock 997 behaves when pushed.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I am not into tuning cars, like you lot in the States, so to comment on one tuning house being better than another is something I couldn't do.

What I saw in this video chip was a less powerful (HP & torque) GTR which also happened to weigh a lot more (400lbs) destroy a 630hp 997Turbo in acceleration. Now unless neither of these cars had their power figures tested that shows that the rest of the GTR's transmission must be pretty special.

Also, look at the difference in lap times. I understand Techart are making excuses but based on this evidence the GTR is in another league to the Porsche, listen to the comments from the driver, the GTR was incredible in the corners compared to the understeery Porsche, which is just the way a stock 997 behaves when pushed.
Once tuning crank figures don't mean anything, all that matters is what the cars put down to the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
eclivia
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 coupe

Quote:

U are talking out of your Ass, if you dont know it, dont post it. techart won the 2008 tuner grand prix event.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
2high2aim
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan 240SX

Hey this is incredible, but can some one tell me the science behind this...how can a underpowered (powerful but less then the 997 GT) car in hp and trq & heavier car be faster. This is not a dis I love the GTR but i just dont understand can some1 please explain this to me....

I'm guessing the GTR has a better tranny, AWD system, and is more aerodynamic...oh yea and the better tires

Are these the factors that helped it beat the Porsche..plz do explain if you really know.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #10
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclivia View Post
U are talking out of your Ass, if you dont know it, dont post it. techart won the 2008 tuner grand prix event.
Whoa, Tuner Grand Prix, heavy stuff. The Techart car has basic 997tt power mods, nothing special for the ridiculous 250k sticker. Check out awe-tuning, evoms, or protomotive sometime and educate yourself on serious 911 turbos. Something like the AWE 750 kit would blow that GTR away for only 15k: http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...etrain&IL=700s

The AWE car is putting out more at the wheels (on a mustang, but I am sure you are familiar with this, right?) than the Techart car is at the crank.

I wish people knew what the hell they were talking about.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2high2aim View Post
Hey this is incredible, but can some one tell me the science behind this...how can a underpowered (powerful but less then the 997 GT) car in hp and trq & heavier car be faster. This is not a dis I love the GTR but i just dont understand can some1 please explain this to me....

I'm guessing the GTR has a better tranny, AWD system, and is more aerodynamic...oh yea and the better tires

Are these the factors that helped it beat the Porsche..plz do explain if you really know.
The Cobb car was lightened by 300 pounds. The Cobb car also could be underrated, without dyno numbers they can make whatever crank claim they want.

That joke of a Techart car has most of the tuning budget in the body kit, wheels, and paint. All show, little go.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
The Cobb car was lightened by 300 pounds. The Cobb car also could be underrated, without dyno numbers they can make whatever crank claim they want.

That joke of a Techart car has most of the tuning budget in the body kit, wheels, and paint. All show, little go.
I agree. I would put my money on the GT Street RS faring much better.
      11-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

The latest from Road & Track

"This is not the same test. The R&T article had a Mines GTR vs this same Techart Porsche. Unlike this test the R&T test had two stocker on hand to see base line tests vs the laps between the two respective tuner cars. Also the R&T test ran the Streets of Willow which is the smaller track than the one run in this Video. The Streets of Willow is only 1.3 miles long so much smaller than Big Willow aka Big Willow which is 2.5 miles long.

Anyway heres a break down of the R&T test which will give you a better view of how dominant the GTR is over any current Porsche even modded. GTR is the Porsches Daddy period.

R&T Test at Streets of Willow[small track]

Techart GT Street [630hp/605tq/3400lbs]

Lap time - 1:29.06 [Bonestocker 911 TT on hand - 1:30.6]
0-60 - 3.2 secs [Bonestocker 911 TT - 3.3]
0-100 - 7.2 secs [Bonestocker 911 TT - 8.2]
1/4 mile - 11.4 @ 125.2mph [Bonestocker 911 TT - 11.6 @ 120.3]

Mines GTR [550hp/3600lbs]

Lap time - 1:25.79 [Bonestocker GTR on hand - 1:26.8]
0-60 - 3.0 [Bonestocker GTR - 3.1]
0-100 - 6.9 [Bonestocker GTR - 7.7]
1/4 mile - 11.1 @ 127.4 [Bonestocker GTR 11.4 @ 121.6]

Notice that even the stock GTR raped the Techart GT Street on the small track at Willow Springs Intl. Also notice that in the R&T test the Mines GTR is making 50hp less than the Cobb Tuning GTR in the Video posted in this thread and still absolutely raped the Techart in lap times and acceleration. Leads me to believe the Cobb tuning GTR is a 10sec car at over 130mph.

I still cant get over the stock GTR raping the Techart even though it gave up 150hp and 400lbs. the article didnt mention bad tires on the Techart like in this video and the R&T test was done before this one I believe so doesnt look good for Techart. That Porsche cant be making 630hp and 605tq at 3400lbs and only have a trap speed of 125mph. Techart needs to go back to the drawing board."

Last edited by luckistryke; 11-05-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0