BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

06-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Overtaking/turning question

Hi guys,

I know this is a very amateurish question, and I'm quite ready for the "learn to drive, etc." remarks, but hopefully, someone will provide a meaningfull answer.

My question is this:

Car 1 is overtaking car 2. Car 1 is going at a faster speed than car 2 by say 10 mph.

How soon can car1 go back into lane 2? I mean I understand that you have to have a visible gap, but specifically, I am afraid of the rear half of the car being hit... i.e. car 1 starts turning, makes it half way, and the is T boned by car 2 - is such a thing possible? Or does the mere fact that car1 is going faster than car2 insure that no collision occurs?

Last edited by D_o_S; 06-30-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

i'd just stay behind car 3 until it opens up...

it seems really risky, I saw an accident almost happen from someone doing that once, car2 swerved though and saved themselves.
      06-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

You're probably cutting off car 2. Also, passing on the right is stupid.

Better off flashing your brights and waving hand gestures towards car 3.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Naptime
#Hashtag
Rep
Drives: around in circles

Wait for the gap.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

nice diagram, but you forgot to ID the direction of travel.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post

where'd passing on the right come into play here? am I missing something obvious?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
where'd passing on the right come into play here? am I missing something obvious?
i dont think it did...
      06-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Are we moving from left to right or right to left. I'd assume you are moving right to left and therefore in the left lane. Which would mean you're passing the guy in the left lane or cutting off the other guy for absolutely no reason. If you are just moving right, as you should, you should wait for a large gap or let the guy on the right pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2 paur 2 aford kar :(

Are you asking when to switch to leave a safe gap between you and car 2, or when to switch to make sure car 2 won't hit you?

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Slow down
cut behind car2 and get over to lane 3
?????
pass everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

If you absolutely have to pass on the right, I was always told to wait until you can see both headlights in your rear view mirror (the middle one) before you switch lanes.

Ideally, just stay behind car 3.
      06-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Why do you want to cut people off?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Thanks guys, I edited the post to indicate direction of travel - from left to right.

The problem is, in the city, you theoretically don't have to be in the right lane at all times, there are people that enter the left lane early because they want to turn left, etc. but most of them are just lane hogs. The problem I often encounter is that the person in car 3 is not concerned with the people behind him, all he wants to do is hog the left lane, driving slowly... that way, car 1 (me) has serious problems overtaking, for there is no where to go - car3 is slightly faster than car2, but because he is a left lane hog, he stays in the left lane... that way, I have to go into the right lane (hence my problem) and take car3 on the right (which is a shame, etc. I know, but the cops don's seem to fine anyone for slowing me down, and so I have to take justice into my own hands).

My question is (let's keep it on topic please): when can car 1 merge back into lane 2, after it has overtaken car 2? The problem I think is that the rear view mirrors on the Euro spec E90 (panoramatic) do not show the car behind you for some time, and so you end up leaving unnecessarily large gaps. I would like to know if there is any chance of car 1 being t-boned (rear half hit) by car 2, provided that car 1 is travelling faster than car 2.

Check this video at 0:35:

Imagine that instead of the cones there are cars travelling at a constant speed. Provided that the BMW is faster than all of them, there should be no risk of getting hit anywhere, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Confirm, visual confirmation of BOTH headlights of the other car in your center rear view mirror.

I have other little checks like this if you are interested. Especially a great one for parking most german cars.
      06-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2 paur 2 aford kar :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Thanks guys, I edited the post to indicate direction of travel - from left to right.

The problem is, in the city, you theoretically don't have to be in the right lane at all times, there are people that enter the left lane early because they want to turn left, etc. but most of them are just lane hogs. The problem I often encounter is that the person in car 3 is not concerned with the people behind him, all he wants to do is hog the left lane, driving slowly... that way, car 1 (me) has serious problems overtaking, for there is no where to go - car3 is slightly faster than car2, but because he is a left lane hog, he stays in the left lane... that way, I have to go into the right lane (hence my problem) and take car3 on the right (which is a shame, etc. I know, but the cops don's seem to fine anyone for slowing me down, and so I have to take justice into my own hands).

My question is (let's keep it on topic please): when can car 1 merge back into lane 2, after it has overtaken car 2? The problem I think is that the rear view mirrors on the Euro spec E90 (panoramatic) do not show the car behind you for some time, and so you end up leaving unnecessarily large gaps. I would like to know if there is any chance of car 1 being t-boned (rear half hit) by car 2, provided that car 1 is travelling faster than car 2.

Check this video at 0:35:

Imagine that instead of the cones there are cars travelling at a constant speed. Provided that the BMW is faster than all of them, there should be no risk of getting hit anywhere, right?
It really depends on how close you want to get to car 2.... Try setting up your mirrors by placing your head right above the center console and looking out the mirror. adjust it out so you see only a portion of the side of your car. this helps a lot, especially for cars with smaller wing mirrors.

Edit: talking about the right mirror. For the left place your head right near the window and do the same.

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Confirm, visual confirmation of BOTH headlights of the other car in your center rear view mirror.

I have other little checks like this if you are interested. Especially a great one for parking most german cars.
Thanks, more please!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

When I can see car2's both headlights in the rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

If you put your right blinker on the guy to the right will most likely slow down or speed up. Or move over one. Wait. move over again. Be a JO and rip it past everybody in the right and then swerve back over 2 lanes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. I think this is too complex a question to answer simply, but the rear view mirror rule is nice, thanks. Overall, I think it depends on how fast you're going (the faster you're going, the more distance your car will travel during the turning manouvre) and how much you turn...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
If you absolutely have to pass on the right, I was always told to wait until you can see both headlights in your rear view mirror (the middle one) before you switch lanes.

Ideally, just stay behind car 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post

Looks pretty obvious that the car is passing on the left going back into the right lane. Did I miss something?

I believe legally you are supposed to see the headlights in your rearview mirror before switching lanes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Looks pretty obvious that the car is passing on the left going back into the right lane. Did I miss something?

I believe legally you are supposed to see the headlights in your rearview mirror before switching lanes.
Yes, you did.

And no, seeing headlights in your rearview is not a law, its a "rule". You can see them and still be cited for reckless driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Is car 2 going faster than car 3? If so, not worth the risk. You never know if car 2 is gonna speed up to prevent being cut off.
More times than not, the driver in car 2 will get pissed off at driver of car 1 if they are cutting it that close. Car 1 should just slow down and switch lanes behind car 2.
Appreciate 0