BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #89
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Gearhead,

Maybe a bit too early but how are the tyres wearing, is it even across the tread?
They are wearing quite a bit more at the outside.The inside on the fronts looks almost untouched by over 2 hours of lapping in comparision to the outside.The rears are worn quite flat but are quite worn from 2nd gear powerslidesI used up 60% of the treaddepth in the 2 hours of lapping.

The Toyo R888's have a much stiffer sidewall than the RA 1 and require quite a bit less presure to be in the the sweet spot.They remind me a lot of the old Bridestone RE71 that we ran in the early 90's with how they are so forgiving and predictible.The R888's are not a good wet weather tire as the side grip is almost non existant.I was much quicker on the stock PS2's in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #90
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I have heard many folks that have tried them are not too impressed with the 888's

back on topic - the M3 was the top RWD car in the test!!!!!
      08-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #91
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

I wonder if the DCT not shifting issue hurt the lap times?
      08-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #92
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
depends on the street tire. you could have 2-3 sec per lap diff between just between street tires. the tests I have seen show more like 2 to 4 sec per 60 sec lap for a R -comp tire.
heck.... the new BFG tire beat the Hoosier by 1 second alone only on a 45 sec course. thats 1.3 sec per 60 sec lap just between R-comp tires alone!
OK..fine...2 to 4 seconds...BFD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
To say as a rule of thumb that R-compound is 1s or more per 60 seconds is not true
Tell me, you just like to argue? Is that it or you've personal experience with changing from r-comps to street-tires for various tracks? My personal experience has shown that on the tracks (and even autoxes) I've run, the r-compounds allow AT LEAST 2 SECONDS per minute.
I'll remind you that r-comps allow someone to break harder and put the power down on track-out earlier, not just while one is mid-turn.

By end of next spring, I'll have dataloggs on a few tracks between street-tires and r-compounds...and we'll see just what the differences can be.

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #93
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
OK..fine...2 to 4 seconds...BFD.
that would almost be a whole lap in a 45 minute race. tires are the biggest bang for the buck

Quote:
By end of next spring, I'll have dataloggs on a few tracks between street-tires and r-compounds...and we'll see just what the differences can be.

that would be cool - post it.

one mag did a test on Miata - a one minute course. full suspsnsion, springs, shock and sways got it a few tenths aof a second. the R tires got 4 seconds.
      08-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #94
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have heard many folks that have tried them are not too impressed with the 888's

back on topic - the M3 was the top RWD car in the test!!!!!
I dont think I am either.The main reason for the Toyo s was that they support grassroot motorsport big time here in Ontario and was intending on running the regional Solo 1 series,but as things happen I had very little free time with the house move and all.I just might have scored 3 more 9.5's so I think I will probally go the Hoosier R6 route as I can get good pricing through the local stock car dealer.The BF Goodrich's are not available in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #95
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I dont think I am either.The main reason for the Toyo s was that they support grassroot motorsport big time here in Ontario and was intending on running the regional Solo 1 series,but as things happen I had very little free time with the house move and all.I just might have scored 3 more 9.5's so I think I will probally go the Hoosier R6 route as I can get good pricing through the local stock car dealer.The BF Goodrich's are not available in Canada.
also heard the 888's were developed for Europe where its cooler. Not the case here in Cali.

too bad on the BFG - great tires. did you see the tire rack test where they killed the R6?
      08-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #96
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
From what my friends have said, as I havent' driven the 888s, is that the grip is not as good as the stickier tires (Hoosiers,Kumho,BFGs) but they last MUCH longer and hold onto the grip until corded. That's what I've heard...FWIW.
Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #97
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
also heard the 888's were developed for Europe where its cooler. Not the case here in Cali.

too bad on the BFG - great tires. did you see the tire rack test where they killed the R6?
I have used the R6 in the past with good results,but once again they need a lot of suspension changes to work properly,but if you are willing to flip the tires on the rim you can get some pretty good life out of them.I used to have a very good source for scrubbed Grand-Am cup tires but that source does not have the sizing that I need.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #98
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
if you are willing to flip the tires on the rim you can get some pretty good life out of them.
another reason I went with the BFG r1.
      09-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #99
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
another reason I went with the BFG r1.
I used to run the old BFG R1s back when they had an asymetric carcass licensed from Goodyear. Those could not be flipped. They were awesome on a camber challenged car, though. This has been a good thread and I think the point that your tires should match your car set-up has been hit upon several times.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #100
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I used to run the old BFG R1s back when they had an asymetric carcass licensed from Goodyear. Those could not be flipped. They were awesome on a camber challenged car, though. This has been a good thread and I think the point that your tires should match your car set-up has been hit upon several times.
ran those too in the 90's/ good tire!!!
      09-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #101
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
I never had a street based car that you could crank in too much castor,but I am sure every case is different.
At autocross speeds I have had problems. 20-40mph turns are not usually a problem on real tracks.