BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A/W E92 M3 '08

Moving from Miami to Atlanta for 3 months from Nov-Dec. Any precautions for the car?

Im gonna be moving up to Atlanta during Nov-Dec for 3 months. Ive lived in Miami my whole life so i dont know how to deal with real winter conditions. For the guys who are in Atlanta is snow a problem up there? Should i put snow tires on the car? Right now im on aftermarket 19's on PS2 should i change back to OEM 18's on PS2? The roads are alright up there to drive the car everyday?

Im asking cause the M3 will be my daily driver and i need it to run back and forth between dekalb medical center and inner harbour hospital. Im living right in the buckhead area. I really dont wanna have any issues when im up there or have an accident so thats why im asking. Any help on what precautions or what to know during the winter months in Atlanta would be really appreciated.

Last edited by kkhurr; 09-30-2009 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

The average annual snowfall (include sleet and ice pellets) for Atlanta is 2 inches, and it's usually gone in a day or less. You don't need snow tires for that, and if you were to put them on, you'd be suffering with tires that don't handle as well on dry or wet pavement virtually all the time.
      09-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
asp17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Comp

I agree you should be fine... Just remember the roads in ATL are nothing like here in FLA. Watch for potholes.
      09-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhurr View Post
Im gonna be moving up to Atlanta during Nov-Dec for 3 months. Ive lived in Miami my whole life so i dont know how to deal with real winter conditions. For the guys who are in Atlanta is snow a problem up there? Should i put snow tires on the car? Right now im on aftermarket 19's on PS2 should i change back to OEM 18's on PS2? The roads are alright up there to drive the car everyday?

Im asking cause the M3 will be my daily driver and i need it to run back and forth between dekalb medical center and inner harbour hospital. Im living right in the buckhead area. I really dont wanna have any issues when im up there or have an accident so thats why im asking. Any help on what precautions or what to know during the winter months in Atlanta would be really appreciated.
I just moved to ATL from Toronto, Canada.
Snow is not an issue in ATL.
Might snow once a year and the city completely shuts down.
Im in Buckhead myself.

Last edited by STALKER; 09-30-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta2004m3 View Post
Being that you're from Miami and you say you've been there all your life, we do have these novel things called hills though. Enjoy them while you are here with your M, since FLA driving has got to be pretty dull, nevermind all the troopers and local coppers. You'll have a much better driving experience, plus the colder air works wonders for engine performance too.

Roads in Georgia aren't that bad in terms of potholes actually, to be honest they are almost as good as those in Florida except for the crappiest of the urban streets in Atlanta. Try going north to experience truly bad roads due to frost heave and freeze-thaw cycles. (ie Ohio, Michigan, New York, Penn, anywhere in Canada)

I've had 2 M3s now and had zero problems in ATL. Never bought a single snow tire since winter doesn't really exist in Georgia, save for the highest areas of the North Georgia mountains (ok, really big hills)

Craig
Any good driving roads near ATL?
      10-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Any good driving roads near ATL?
Road Atlanta??!!

Feff
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
kkhurr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A/W E92 M3 '08

Thanks for all the info. Glad i can rest easy and not have to change anything on the car before the trip. Ill be living in buckhead
      10-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta2004m3 View Post
Well, road course tracks are fun, but not the easiest to just pick up and go spend some time on. So, in terms of good roads to drive you can head straight up 400 to Dahlonega and there are tons of great roads to drive throughout north GA. Up through Blue Ridge and the Chattahoochee National Forest, great twists and turns for miles, with some decent places to hike and grab food too.

Beyond that, albeit a bit slower due to traffic and speed limits, you can venture up into North Carolina to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Don't go there unless you have time and don't mind sticking pretty close to the speed limits though. Great views and a very nice road mind you.

There's always the Tail of the Dragon up in Deal's Gap straddling the border betweeen NC and Tenn, but it isnt what it used to be, from what folks tell me. More sport bikes, more traffic and thusly, more law enforcement too. 11 miles and 316 turns aint too shabby, but you have to be careful.

400N to 19 to 60 is not bad. goes all the way up to the Tenn/GA border. or jump off 60 to 180 and down 348 and either over to Helen or from there head down hwy75 (NOT I-75 please note) to 129 and that hooks up with I-985 and back to ATL. 129 all the way from Nantahala National Forest in North Carolina down to Clevelend isnt bad either, busier road tho as you go further south.

Check them out on mapquest or Streets and Trips, they aren't but an hour from downtown ATL and just head north from there. You won't find much better driving anywhere in the US or Canada, save the Rockies or the West Coast and that's speaking from experience.

i forgot to add, if you are using MS Streets and Trips, zoom in tight on the roads I mentioned above and you'll see why they are decent roads to head out on. From a zoomed out perspective it doesn't become readily apparent.

Cheers!
Sweet, thanks for the info. I might do the Helen trip this Saturday or Sunday.