BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #133
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

eh
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #134
hawkeye-se
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 JB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Right, that means you get two ornamental tips on the exhaust.

The scenario that you described actually happened to the Bastuck exhaust.
Man, that was a shitty looking exhaust. Didn't bastuck scrap it all together?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #135
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Quote:
Right, that means you get two ornamental tips on the exhaust.

The scenario that you described actually happened to the Bastuck exhaust.
This is why I was so curious as to why Steve not mentioning it in the video was such a big deal. Thanks for pointing out the info in the whitesheet.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #136
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
This is why I was so curious as to why Steve not mentioning it in the video was such a big deal. Thanks for pointing out the info in the whitesheet.
It's more of an insider joke for people here coz people perceive that, with Dinan, you pay twice the price and gets half the product.
      03-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #137
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

I can see why that is said. I do think dinan prices are too high. But the comfort of knowing that they work closely with BMW and warranty their products so well, for some, is worth it. I think there is also a huge "prestige" factor that plays into that price. Everyone, even non bimmer fanatics know Dinan. I am looking for a good exhaust, have heard the Dinan in person and it sounds good. Want to hear more options in person, but may just pull the trigger on the Dinan soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #138
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
It's more of an insider joke for people here coz people perceive that, with Dinan, you pay twice the price and gets half the product.
Maybe you're right. But I see it as twice better warranty.
I know Dinan doesn't get the most performance out of their parts so does actual factory OEM parts. I see it as more conservative/reliable parts since they are "actually" responsible for the all parts/labor/shipping warranty for 4 yrs/50k miles while others only have to cover (generally speaking) 1 year for the parts.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #139
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Exclamation

I have & had Dinan products on almost all my BMWs. I am very happy with the quality, RELIABILITY and performance increases seen on each of the vehicles. Would I purchase Dinan again, yes & no...it all depends on your situation & what you are truely looking for.

As for the exhaust, Dinan did similar with the E46 M3 exhaust, though they had one whole side a blank instead of the outside tips on the E9x M3. Dinan's exhaust system is exactly what they advertise...the exhaust is a "Free Flow" system that is designed to maximize exhaust flow and anyone with any common sense will know that is in a single line, without adding "forks" in the system like everyone else. So those who bitch because the outer tips aren't used are just Dinan haters. The exhaust on BOTH E46 M3s I had sounded incredible & performed!

As for the OP's inquiries of the new Dinan S3-R system...here are my opinions:

1. When looking for an exhaust, don't listen to anyone's biases & choose for yourself. You know what you are looking for, eg. Warranty issue, HP gains (if that's very important), sound, etc. For myself, I went with the Eisenmann Sport exhaust on my E90 M3...why, because I wasn't caring about added weight it has over stock, or minimal gains it has. My biggest reason was for the exhaust sound & noise level (lower sound level than most exhausts) since my 20 month old daughter rides in it all the time & it's my family car.

Personally, if I was to get an exhaust for the E9x M3 truely based on performance and weight savings, I would have gone RPI Race Exhaust...but it is VERY loud!

2. I actually take exception to Dinan calling the new E9x Dinan system the S3-R! I had the E46 Dinan S3-R system & it to me noted the "Stage 3" Dinan system which is going Forced Induction & the "R" was for the "Intercooled" version. If I was Dinan I would have called the system something like the S3S for it being a "Stroked Engine" & keeping the S3 because it would still be the "Stage 3" system when it came to suspension & other upgrades typical to all the other Dinan kits.

3. Sorry, forgot to add, that NONE of the Dinan products I ave or had has had any reliability issues & has never had to be fixed or replaced other than very minor "install" leaks that were corrected.
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs

Last edited by mrtm2008; 03-20-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #140
L-Altos
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

When I bought my used E90 M3, I knew it had a Dinan exhaust, but didnt know much about it. It sounded good while idling, and sounded even better under acceleration. After two months I still had no idea that it had fake exhausts for cosmetic purposes. In fact, after i read about it I had to get down on the ground and really look hard to notice it. To this day I still forget about it until i read posts like this. I have no problem with the fake tips, don't really notice them.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #141
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbanoname View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
Yes this is a Re-post... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360192
The S3-R is something like 20k!!! You guys can find more details in the thread posted above!
Threads merged!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #142
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

sounds like he kept running outta breath
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #143
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

lmao at all the people who bitch about the fake tips. they are there for a reason not just bc Dinan wants to piss people off. i will take the fake tips and no drone and a amazing sounding muffler any day over a droning sounding one with real tips

i don't stand outside and care if smoke comes out of all my tips, and i def don't care if some fast and furious kid is saying man he has smoke only coming out of 2 tips. but i guess that is important to some people. lmao
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #144
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Those numbers will be released soon...

A detailed feature story on the Dinan S3-R package is coming out in Car & Driver magazine in a few months.
Here is that story if anybody is interested....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty_file

I know this engine is pricey but given the right circumstances, it could work out for the owners favor... case and point, my car was in a very minor accident with only 7k on the clock, somehow metal shavings got into my engine and now it has to be replaced. So, I am in the process of replacing my stock S65 with the Dinan 4.6L S65. The Dinan motor (minus the core) actually comes out to be 1k cheaper then then putting a brand new stock S65 in the car. The insurance company is paying for the new engine, installation, labor, everything!