BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Buttonwillow on Sunday

Still slow but getting better each time out. A video i put together. Nice meeting oc3 finally. Next time i will need a ride in your car.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Looks good! And, good meeting you. No prob on riding shotgun.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Awesome! Your car sounds amazing and great job for your 2nd time out to BW. I was there on Saturday and had a blast.
      09-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

How was my commentary? I think it was spot on.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Nice lines for the most part, but try to get closer to the apexes like after the sweeper and riverside (then you get the car straightened up and mash the gas). It is important to find the right organizations/groups to run with...PCA, BMW CCA, and Speed Ventures are good about having the people give point-bys. You should come out to Chuckwalla in two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Nice lines for the most part, but try to get closer to the apexes like after the sweeper and riverside (then you get the car straightened up and mash the gas). It is important to find the right organizations/groups to run with...PCA, BMW CCA, and Speed Ventures are good about having the people give point-bys. You should come out to Chuckwalla in two weeks.
yeah on the sweeper I should be coming straight and running over the berms.

I used to slow down towards the end of riverside so that I clip the apex and go straight, but this time I went with the don't slow down to hit the right side berm, and instead carry speed and drift left before coming back to the right to take the left (not too left to avoid the dip) turn going into phils hill. This way you can WOT earlier in riverside all the way to phils hill. This was what I was trying to do all day, and wasn't able to catch a good clip to put in the vid.

BUT NEXT TIME!!!!

It was just a lot of newbies that came, and I intentionally went in a lower group so that I woudnl't have people running up on my ass. My mistake.

These weren't necessarily my best lines of the day - just the best clean clip from 40 minutes worth of recording i could get! Yeah, it sucked that bad. That Honda Fit that was causing traffic, it was really an Si, but I really thought it was a Fit since it was THAT SLOW.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Did you ask to be moved up to the next group? For example, when I went to Thunderhill over Labor Day weekend I signed up for the novice group so that I could get instruction because it was a new track for me. I was pretty much lapping cars after my 2nd session in the group. The instructor not only signed me off to go solo on the 2nd day but also approved me running in the intermediate group. By the end of the 2nd day, I was running in the top of the intermediate group (granted it, I've have a few dozen track days under my lap in the past 5 years). I would remember going to the track with BMW CCA, PCA, and Speed Ventures. All run good tight ships and will put you in the correct run group depending on your skill level and speed. What's the next event you are planning on going to?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

NCRC is very well-organized, but average speed is certainly slower in all groups than comparable Speed Ventures groups. It's mostly because NorCal drivers are just slower than SoCal drivers
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
NCRC is very well-organized, but average speed is certainly slower in all groups than comparable Speed Ventures groups. It's mostly because NorCal drivers are just slower than SoCal drivers
So if I'm in the middle of the black group with Speed Ventures, where would that put me with NCRC? I know for BMW CCA I'm probably at the top of the B group and for PCA I'm probably in the middle/top part of the intermediate group.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Intentionally went down a group so i can try some things but didnt know it was gonna be that slow.

I try to run in the middle group but sometimes go low on purpose. Its never been like this before. With CCA at ACS ive signed up for B because the C group was snails pace last time even though it was my first time there.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck
We met that day too right? Now your stirring up trouble in the only subforum that i dont lol.

But i guess its true!

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
So if I'm in the middle of the black group with Speed Ventures, where would that put me with NCRC? I know for BMW CCA I'm probably at the top of the B group and for PCA I'm probably in the middle/top part of the intermediate group.
I think we were both in the C group with CCA last time out at ACS. Im registered for B this next time because C was just too slow.

Have you run with B afterwards?

Ncrc is basically solo (point by in straights), point-by (anywhere) and open passing. Oh and race. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Good lines. You could brake a lot later for Turn 1 (closer to or just at the access road/other track config on your right just before the red and white curbing).

Your "early?" apex in cotton corners was not early and looked good.

For riverside and most of the corners there's little to no tire noise (great audible way to know where the limit is).

You probably don't need it since your line is good but I did this little track writeup a few years back:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ion-13-CW.aspx
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747
Good lines. You could brake a lot later for Turn 1 (closer to or just at the access road/other track config on your right just before the red and white curbing).

Your "early?" apex in cotton corners was not early and looked good.

For riverside and most of the corners there's little to no tire noise (great audible way to know where the limit is).

You probably don't need it since your line is good but I did this little track writeup a few years back:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ion-13-CW.aspx
Thanks!

I actually shortened my brake zone as a wise man asked me (in my last video) "is your m3 the kind with no brakes?"

It will get shorter and shorter as seat time gets up there.

Working on lines and speed will come (subsequently tires will make noise)!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Still slow but getting better each time out. A video i put together. Nice meeting oc3 finally. Next time i will need a ride in your car.

At the end of you video "next time i reserve the right to use up one of my black flags on this bullsh*T" -

the reason they were going slower is because it was end of the session cool down checkered flag lap!!

Watch the flagger stations!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think we were both in the C group with CCA last time out at ACS. Im registered for B this next time because C was just too slow.

Have you run with B afterwards?

Ncrc is basically solo (point by in straights), point-by (anywhere) and open passing. Oh and race. Lol.
I ran in B group for a few sessions when I had a 996TT (w/600hp) 5-6 years ago. My last BMW CCA with that car I got moved up to the A group in the middle of the day as I was passing everyone in B almost at will. I didn't track the E92 and got back into it when I picked up the GT3 at the beginning of the year. I started with the C/low intermediate groups until I got comfortable with the car and tracking again.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9

the reason they were going slower is because it was end of the session cool down checkered flag lap!!

Watch the flagger stations!!
True! you got me there.

But: Cool down lap ok. But 30 mph? We could have gone good until track out and i dont know how much cooling 30mph does. And i was behind them like this for 2 laps. I could have put the whole clip but chose not to

So i still reserve the right. And in the beginning of the video where i said is this the 405? Guess who was leading the pack and not pointing people by? The same dudes. So it was more of a frustration after multiple incidents. Im slow too but i let ppl by the second they come up to me and i expect the same for a safe and fun time for all.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

yeah they should still give point-byes on the cool down lap as well
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #19
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9
yeah they should still give point-byes on the cool down lap as well
I dont know about that is it? But yes pent up from a days worth of this that i didnt even bother going out on the last session.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #20
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
NorCal drivers say the same thing about SoCal drivers at Thunderhill.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Anyone thiught of making the drive to COTA?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #22
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Anyone thiught of making the drive to COTA?
There's no way I could drive that far...if I had my car trailered out there then yeah.

You should come out to BW on Sunday with Speed Ventures, not a lot of people are registered.
Appreciate 0