BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
NeueKlasse
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Reviewed: 2010 Audi R8 V10

Having had the opportunity to drive one of the only V10 R8s here in Canada, I decided to write a little review:

By launching its first exotic-flavored sports car, Audi inscribed itself among the elite of the automotive world, pushing aside values set by previous marques and putting the Italian brands to shame. This year, the four-ringed manufacturer continues its quest by offering the naturally-aspirated 5.2L V10 once promised by the very first prototype. The passionate and privileged now have something more to rejoice from and the competition, something more to be wary of.

Here's the rundown:

Audi R8
- Category: Coupe
- Price range: CAD $141,000 – $173,000 As tested: CAD $184,000
- Warranty: 4 yrs/80,000 km, 4 yrs/80,000 km
- Assembly: Neckarsulm, Germany

Tested:
5.2L V10 40 val.
525 bhp / 391 ft/lbs. tq.
R-Tronic Sequential

When I bought it, the 4.2L V8 of the first R8 surprised me by its sheer power and sonority... I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting much from an engine right out of an RS4 to which we essentially added a race-inspired lubrication system. But you quickly understand how essential this was in order to mount the engine lower in the the R8's alluminium chassis. Obviously, the people over at Audi had something a bit more powerful in mind. There truly is no replacement for displacement.

As planned the people over at Audi shoehorned a V10 into the guts of the sports coupé, and with that came the apperance of the R8 5.2 FSI quattro. As I approached the car on the dealership's lot, the 'V10' emblems on either side of this monster reminded me that this wasn't the R8 I tested last year. The differences are however very subtle. You really have to look for them. The most obvious ones are the larger intakes on either side of the car behind the doors, the chrome grille up front, the blacked out rear and the large, oval exhaust tips. The engine bay is relatively the same save for two extra cylinders and a large 'V10' badge on the carbon fiber cover within (which is an $4,500 option unto itself, btw). Immaculate, as always.

I was again this year pleasantly surprised. The car is easy in and easy out, as it was last year. You definitely will not get a hernia trying to get in and out of this thing, even if you are a bit overweight like I am (I could lose a few pounds, really). To my displeasure, the car was not a 6-speed manual like I tested last year. It instead had the much hated e-Gear gearbox, right out of a Lamborghini, renamed the R-Tronic for marketing purposes.

Again, several cues in the interior differentiate the V8 from the V10. For instance, the V10 I was in had red accent on the shifter knob and in and around the two large oval instrument clusters, which also had a 'V10' emblem in the middle. The only thing missing from the R8, really, is some extra storage space. The room in the back is comparable to that in a Porsche 911, I find, but forget about the two golf bags Audi claims can fit back there. I don't see it happening. Really, however, what really triumphs in any R8 is the motorization and the way it is impeccably presented yonder, illuminated at night by blue LEDs, a touch which reminds me of the LED daytime running lights up front.

Even if Audi and Lamborghini share the same owners, you'd be wrong to think that the R8 and the Gallardo are identical. In fact, the German is almost 90mm higher, 30mm wider and has a 90mm wider wheelbase than the Gallardo. The Audi is obviously a fine, sporty automobile but it is also a comfortable daily driver (maintenance costs aside) which can be driven safely in Quebec winters (because of the quattro system), according to the salesperson; the same can't be said for the Gallardo. Even though it is true that the R8 and the Gallardo share the same platform and were worked on my the same team, their temperment is very different. The R8's V10 produces 525 hp at 8000 rpm, whilst the Gallardo LP560-4 produces 35 more hp in the same powerband. Same goes for the torque; the German produces 391 lbs at 6500 rpm, whilst the Lambo produces a couple more ft-lbs at the same revs. However, one has to realize that a souple, noble feel is a must for an Audi, whilst the Lamborghini can be a completely enraged beast without a problem. I don't know about you, but the only people I've seen driving the R8 lately are women and geezers. Audi had to sacrifice a couple dozen horsepower to achieve that couple feel.

Chassis-wise, the differences between the V8 and the V10 are very minimal. I think the salesperson mentionned that the V10 weighed about 60 lbs. more, making the car weigh a total of about 150 lbs. more than the V8 version. The slight increase in weight can be attributed to the larger engine, larger wheels and tires, and also Audi's Magnetic Ride system, which is excellent by the way and helps to manage unnecessary tire wear on the exterior, rear wheel according to the salesperson.

Finally, turn the ignition - or rather push the button - and the massive V10 instantly comes to life with a deep, rich, throaty rumble. Put the R-Tronic transmission into gear and allow yourself to sink into the souple leather seats whilst jamming your right foot on the accelerator and hanging on for dear life. Accelerating and taking corners, however, is all that's fun about this car.

I was quick to disagree with the salesperson who said that this thing could be easily daily driveable. First things first, the car is so low that half the time, you feel like your ass is being dragged on the pavement. The R-Tronic gearbox is jerky at best in normal, city driving and so-so on the highway. Obviously, the gearbox really shines on the track but I wasn't given the opportunity to test it there. What I found to be exceptionally annoying was that when you were at a red light, the R-Tronic automatically puts itself into neutral after a certain amount of time (to save the clutches, the salesperson said) and you must manually put it back into gear in order to advance. Finally, whilse the suspension can be soft and souple it's a bit too harsh for me to be driving daily. I'd have to say that it ain't worse than my IS-F, but coupled with the crappy e-Gear, the low-slung nature of this beast and almost 20 litres per 100 km on 94 octane fuel, it'd be far-fetched to say that normal people could own this car and drive it on a daily basis. Not only that, but maintenance costs must be astronomical especially if you opt for the carbon-ceramic brakes option (which should technically last for the duration of the car's life, but honestly I wouldn't count on that).

That being said, however, the seats are quite comfortable and the materials are what you'd expect in an Audi, quality-wise (and that's superb). Fully equipped, however, with the full carbon fiber package, the nappa leather seats and the alcantara headliner, the car can soar into the CAD $200,000 price range. The R8 V10 is still an exceptional car but is far too discrete. If I had this car I'd probably want people to know it was the V10 but unfortunately, there are not much cues that will differentiate it from the V8, at least to the untrained eye. As we speak, however, it is said that Audi has developped and R8 with a V12 diesel engine and already has a V10 convertible on the way. Don't count on the aforementioned making it to the North American market, though.

To sum it all up...

The Good:
- Fabulous V10 engine
- Remarquable driveability
- Impressive comfort, despite its low-slung, sporty nature
- Fit and finish you've come to expect from an Audi
- Eye-catching lines

The Bad:
- Crappy R-Tronic transmission in normal driving situations; the R8 would benefit from a toughened up DSG tranny
- Not that the people owning this need to worry, but maintenance costs and fuel consumption is high
- Substantial price tag once fully optioned out (the base version is good enough imho)
- Limited cargo volume (fuggetabout those golf bags, bro)
- Howevermuch fabulous the V10 engine is, I find it unnecessary
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Hmmm.
      09-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
NeueKlasse
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Well, feel free to comment.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeueKlasse View Post
Having had the opportunity to drive one of the only V10 R8s here in Canada, I decided to write a little review:

By launching its first exotic-flavored sports car, Audi inscribed itself among the elite of the automotive world, pushing aside values set by previous marques and putting the Italian brands to shame. This year, the four-ringed manufacturer continues its quest by offering the naturally-aspirated 5.2L V10 once promised by the very first prototype. The passionate and privileged now have something more to rejoice from and the competition, something more to be wary of.

Here's the rundown:

Audi R8
- Category: Coupe
- Price range: CAD $141,000 – $173,000 As tested: CAD $184,000
- Warranty: 4 yrs/80,000 km, 4 yrs/80,000 km
- Assembly: Neckarsulm, Germany

Tested:
5.2L V10 40 val.
525 bhp / 391 ft/lbs. tq.
R-Tronic Sequential

When I bought it, the 4.2L V8 of the first R8 surprised me by its sheer power and sonority... I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting much from an engine right out of an RS4 to which we essentially added a race-inspired lubrication system. But you quickly understand how essential this was in order to mount the engine lower in the the R8's alluminium chassis. Obviously, the people over at Audi had something a bit more powerful in mind. There truly is no replacement for displacement.

As planned the people over at Audi shoehorned a V10 into the guts of the sports coupé, and with that came the apperance of the R8 5.2 FSI quattro. As I approached the car on the dealership's lot, the 'V10' emblems on either side of this monster reminded me that this wasn't the R8 I tested last year. The differences are however very subtle. You really have to look for them. The most obvious ones are the larger intakes on either side of the car behind the doors, the chrome grille up front, the blacked out rear and the large, oval exhaust tips. The engine bay is relatively the same save for two extra cylinders and a large 'V10' badge on the carbon fiber cover within (which is an $4,500 option unto itself, btw). Immaculate, as always.

I was again this year pleasantly surprised. The car is easy in and easy out, as it was last year. You definitely will not get a hernia trying to get in and out of this thing, even if you are a bit overweight like I am (I could lose a few pounds, really). To my displeasure, the car was not a 6-speed manual like I tested last year. It instead had the much hated e-Gear gearbox, right out of a Lamborghini, renamed the R-Tronic for marketing purposes.

Again, several cues in the interior differentiate the V8 from the V10. For instance, the V10 I was in had red accent on the shifter knob and in and around the two large oval instrument clusters, which also had a 'V10' emblem in the middle. The only thing missing from the R8, really, is some extra storage space. The room in the back is comparable to that in a Porsche 911, I find, but forget about the two golf bags Audi claims can fit back there. I don't see it happening. Really, however, what really triumphs in any R8 is the motorization and the way it is impeccably presented yonder, illuminated at night by blue LEDs, a touch which reminds me of the LED daytime running lights up front.

Even if Audi and Lamborghini share the same owners, you'd be wrong to think that the R8 and the Gallardo are identical. In fact, the German is almost 90mm higher, 30mm wider and has a 90mm wider wheelbase than the Gallardo. The Audi is obviously a fine, sporty automobile but it is also a comfortable daily driver (maintenance costs aside) which can be driven safely in Quebec winters (because of the quattro system), according to the salesperson; the same can't be said for the Gallardo. Even though it is true that the R8 and the Gallardo share the same platform and were worked on my the same team, their temperment is very different. The R8's V10 produces 525 hp at 8000 rpm, whilst the Gallardo LP560-4 produces 35 more hp in the same powerband. Same goes for the torque; the German produces 391 lbs at 6500 rpm, whilst the Lambo produces a couple more ft-lbs at the same revs. However, one has to realize that a souple, noble feel is a must for an Audi, whilst the Lamborghini can be a completely enraged beast without a problem. I don't know about you, but the only people I've seen driving the R8 lately are women and geezers. Audi had to sacrifice a couple dozen horsepower to achieve that couple feel.

Chassis-wise, the differences between the V8 and the V10 are very minimal. I think the salesperson mentionned that the V10 weighed about 60 lbs. more, making the car weigh a total of about 150 lbs. more than the V8 version. The slight increase in weight can be attributed to the larger engine, larger wheels and tires, and also Audi's Magnetic Ride system, which is excellent by the way and helps to manage unnecessary tire wear on the exterior, rear wheel according to the salesperson.

Finally, turn the ignition - or rather push the button - and the massive V10 instantly comes to life with a deep, rich, throaty rumble. Put the R-Tronic transmission into gear and allow yourself to sink into the souple leather seats whilst jamming your right foot on the accelerator and hanging on for dear life. Accelerating and taking corners, however, is all that's fun about this car.

I was quick to disagree with the salesperson who said that this thing could be easily daily driveable. First things first, the car is so low that half the time, you feel like your ass is being dragged on the pavement. The R-Tronic gearbox is jerky at best in normal, city driving and so-so on the highway. Obviously, the gearbox really shines on the track but I wasn't given the opportunity to test it there. What I found to be exceptionally annoying was that when you were at a red light, the R-Tronic automatically puts itself into neutral after a certain amount of time (to save the clutches, the salesperson said) and you must manually put it back into gear in order to advance. Finally, whilse the suspension can be soft and souple it's a bit too harsh for me to be driving daily. I'd have to say that it ain't worse than my IS-F, but coupled with the crappy e-Gear, the low-slung nature of this beast and almost 20 litres per 100 km on 94 octane fuel, it'd be far-fetched to say that normal people could own this car and drive it on a daily basis. Not only that, but maintenance costs must be astronomical especially if you opt for the carbon-ceramic brakes option (which should technically last for the duration of the car's life, but honestly I wouldn't count on that).

That being said, however, the seats are quite comfortable and the materials are what you'd expect in an Audi, quality-wise (and that's superb). Fully equipped, however, with the full carbon fiber package, the nappa leather seats and the alcantara headliner, the car can soar into the CAD $200,000 price range. The R8 V10 is still an exceptional car but is far too discrete. If I had this car I'd probably want people to know it was the V10 but unfortunately, there are not much cues that will differentiate it from the V8, at least to the untrained eye. As we speak, however, it is said that Audi has developped and R8 with a V12 diesel engine and already has a V10 convertible on the way. Don't count on the aforementioned making it to the North American market, though.

To sum it all up...

The Good:
- Fabulous V10 engine
- Remarquable driveability
- Impressive comfort, despite its low-slung, sporty nature
- Fit and finish you've come to expect from an Audi
- Eye-catching lines

The Bad:
- Crappy R-Tronic transmission in normal driving situations; the R8 would benefit from a toughened up DSG tranny
- Not that the people owning this need to worry, but maintenance costs and fuel consumption is high
- Substantial price tag once fully optioned out (the base version is good enough imho)
- Limited cargo volume (fuggetabout those golf bags, bro)
- Howevermuch fabulous the V10 engine is, I find it unnecessary
Good try fanboy, but you are pretty clueless and its laughable that you claim to have driven the R8 5.2

"The slight increase in weight can be attributed to the larger engine, larger wheels and tires, and also Audi's Magnetic Ride system"

Huh?

The only things that add weight on the V10 model are the engine, and different exterior trim pieces. Magnetic ride has been available from day one and the wheels are the same size for all R8s, even the Gallardo uses the same sizes

"Finally, turn the ignition - or rather push the button "

Are you sure you have driven an R8 at all? They all use the older style switchblade key in the ignition. No start/stop button

"but maintenance costs must be astronomical especially if you opt for the carbon-ceramic brakes option (which should technically last for the duration of the car's life, but honestly I wouldn't count on that). "

Actually not, buy Audi Care for $600.00 and all scheduled maintenance is included. Carbon ceramic discs will last the lifetime of the car, but these are an option not yet available in North America. I have had my R8 4.2 for over 7000 miles and it has cost me $0.00 in maintenance
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
Good try fanboy, but you are pretty clueless and its laughable that you claim to have driven the R8 5.2

"The slight increase in weight can be attributed to the larger engine, larger wheels and tires, and also Audi's Magnetic Ride system"

Huh?

The only things that add weight on the V10 model are the engine, and different exterior trim pieces. Magnetic ride has been available from day one and the wheels are the same size for all R8s, even the Gallardo uses the same sizes

Are you sure you have driven an R8 at all? They all use the older style switchblade key in the ignition. No start/stop button

"but maintenance costs must be astronomical especially if you opt for the carbon-ceramic brakes option (which should technically last for the duration of the car's life, but honestly I wouldn't count on that). "

Actually not, buy Audi Care for $600.00 and all scheduled maintenance is included. Carbon ceramic discs will last the lifetime of the car, but these are an option not yet available in North America. I have had my R8 4.2 for over 7000 miles and it has cost me $0.00 in maintenance
NeueTroll was in another thread trolling about owning all sorts of cars too. He just joined today and has already made 21 post.

I'm glad you exposed him for what he is, 16, and with too much time on his hands.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

tl;dr
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
NeueTroll was in another thread trolling about owning all sorts of cars too. He just joined today and has already made 21 post.

I'm glad you exposed him for what he is, 16, and with too much time on his hands.
Yea he really needs to work on his storytelling

This is funny as well

"When I bought it, the 4.2L V8 of the first R8 surprised me by its sheer power and sonority... I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting much from an engine right out of an RS4 to which we essentially added a race-inspired lubrication system. But you quickly understand how essential this was in order to mount the engine lower in the the R8's alluminium chassis. Obviously, the people over at Audi had something a bit more powerful in mind. There truly is no replacement for displacement.

As planned the people over at Audi shoehorned a V10 into the guts of the sports coupé, and with that came the apperance of the R8 5.2 FSI quattro. As I approached the car on the dealership's lot, the 'V10' emblems on either side of this monster reminded me that this wasn't the R8 I tested last year"

In the first paragraph he bought an R8, in the 2nd paragraph he just tested it

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yea he really needs to work on his storytelling

This is funny as well

"When I bought it, the 4.2L V8 of the first R8 surprised me by its sheer power and sonority... I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting much from an engine right out of an RS4 to which we essentially added a race-inspired lubrication system. But you quickly understand how essential this was in order to mount the engine lower in the the R8's alluminium chassis. Obviously, the people over at Audi had something a bit more powerful in mind. There truly is no replacement for displacement.

As planned the people over at Audi shoehorned a V10 into the guts of the sports coupé, and with that came the apperance of the R8 5.2 FSI quattro. As I approached the car on the dealership's lot, the 'V10' emblems on either side of this monster reminded me that this wasn't the R8 I tested last year"

In the first paragraph he bought an R8, in the 2nd paragraph he just tested it

Good catch.

I think NeueTroll won't be showing his face around here anymore.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

LOL!

He claimed he did a European Delivery earlier this summer for a new 2010 135i over at 1Addicts. The earliest 2010 ED isn't scheduled until mid-October. They just started building the '10s in late September. He then claimed that he "forgot" that it was an '09. When I asked him for pictures of his car and ED trip he claimed that his camera was lost when the airlines misplaced his baggage.

He also claimed in one thread to be a professional car reviewer. In another thread he claimed he was a professional driving instructor. Kid couldn't keep his story straight.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
It sounds like he stole somebody's article and tried to add a little of his own flair. Nevertheless his V10 isn't as fast as my 335i w/ an aftermarket exhaust.
      09-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Nevertheless his V10 isn't as fast as my 335i w/ an aftermarket exhaust.
LOL
      09-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Nevertheless his V10 isn't as fast as my 335i w/ an aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

this thread is full of fail
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

Lulz. Sure bud. Whatever you say.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #15
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

damn... this guy gives montrealers a bad name !!

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 05:39 AM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeueKlasse View Post
Well, feel free to comment.
You now see the value of patience young grasshopper.

My initial impression seems to have been correct and my comments were done for me.
      10-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
NewSong
United_States
Rep

This is pretty bad self-ownage.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Hilarious.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #19
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:

Huh?

LOL, I know that guy was a jobber the minute he started bragging about how "exclusive" his 1 series is in another thread.

What a clown.
      10-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

honestly i think the oem rims are hideous. the exaust tips are ugly. the shape is similar to a tt. the v8 r8 looks better thant he r8 v10 for some reasons. I would spend less money and get a 997.2 gt3 or rs in canada.

or db9, dbs, v12 vantage, the list goes on.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #21
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

I think the point is, NeueKlasse owns the record now for quickest and most brutal self-ownage on this forum's decorated history of stupidity.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #22
dexter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' space grey 335i/ E30 3er

Quote:

Huh?

Man, you are very skilled in the art of owning! glad to see a real car guy like you lives in my backyard. what color is your R8 by the way? i'm sure i've seen you around town, there are only a handful here.
Appreciate 0