BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
I actually enjoyed doing all my performance mods one at a time to see if the butt dyno detects anything.
That's understandable.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #24
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk720 View Post
The CEL is for catalyst deficiency. It does not put the car into limp mode.
I agree that the catalyst deficiency is what would trigger it , but if something else were to trigger it, wouldn't "limp mode" usually come on whenever the CEL comes on?

Actually waiting for Mr. Benvo to chime in. he knows his shit.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #25
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
does anyone know if this will cause a CEL?
I don't believe so.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #26
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk720 View Post
The CEL is for catalyst deficiency. It does not put the car into limp mode.
I agree that the catalyst deficiency is what would trigger it , but if something else were to trigger it, wouldn't "limp mode" usually come on whenever the CEL comes on?

Actually waiting for Mr. Benvo to chime in. he knows his shit.
In these cars the CEL or check engine light is called the SES or service engine soon light (for NA spec vehicles).

It can illuminate for cat efficiency, or a number of other issues. If not a serious issue, only the SES will illuminate in the cluster. This indicates that there are one or more emissions related faults.

Limp mode means that you'll also have engine malfunction warnings on the iDrive, as well as an outline of an engine half shaded in the center of the instrument cluster display.

You can have an SES without limp mode, but you can not have limp mode without having an SES light.

The issue with having the light on is that you will not know of other issues that would illuminate the SES light. If a more serious condition occurs, then you'll get limp mode accompanied with the half shaded engine in the cluster. The image for the SES in the center display is only an outline, and is not shaded at all. You'll see this upon starting and it will go away if there is an emissions fault. The limp mode warning with the half shaded engine will not clear from the center of the cluster.

It is definitely suggested and recommended to get a proper tune when going with a Catless setup. The reason is that the decreased back pressure calls for changes to camshaft timing which will optimize engine operation when the restrictive factory catalysts aren't present. The second benefit, of course, is suppressing the SES light and increased emissions earnings.

Hope this helps

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #27
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
In these cars the CEL or check engine light is called the SES or service engine soon light (for NA spec vehicles.

It can illuminate for cat efficiency, or a number of other issues. If not a serious issue, only the SES will illuminate in the cluster. This indicates that there are one or more emissions related faults.

Limp mode means that you'll also have engine malfunction warnings on the iDrive, as well as an outline of an engine half shaded in the center of the instrument cluster display.

You can have an SES without limp mode, but you can not have limp mode without having an SES light.

The issue with having the light on is that you will not know of other issues that would illuminate the SES light. If a more serious condition occurs, then you'll get limp mode accompanied with the half shaded engine in the cluster. The image for the SES in the center display is only an outline, and is not shaded at all. You'll see this upon starting and it will go away if there is an emissions fault. The limp mode warning with the half shaded engine will not clear from the center of the cluster.

It is definitely suggested and recommended to get a proper tune when going with a Catless setup. The reason is that the decreased back pressure calls for changes to camshaft timing which will optimize engine operation when the restrictive factory catalyst a aren't present. The second benefit, of course, is suppressing the SES light and increased emissions earnings.

Hope this helps
Thank you for the post.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #28
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't know why someone would not just get the tune and get rid of the code....
However, I used to own a 2005 Dodge SRT4 and we would simply install a defouler in the exhaust and essentially "trick" the ECU into thinking the the cat was still there. Is this an option or are these cars to high tech to trick...Lol

Here is an example:
http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...harged_exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #29
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
I don't know why someone would not just get the tune and get rid of the code....
However, I used to own a 2005 Dodge SRT4 and we would simply install a defouler in the exhaust and essentially "trick" the ECU into thinking the the cat was still there. Is this an option or are these cars to high tech to trick...Lol

Here is an example:
http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...harged_exhaust

well a tune is $1000 and if you didn't care about the small amount of extra power it will get you, you could just clear the code in 5 seconds when it comes up every few hundred miles with your phone and a $20 OBD>BT adapter.
Appreciate 0