BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

01-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #23
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
the zaino works really well and it actually does reduce the dust pretty well. thats what im going to live with for now
      02-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #24
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

JB and same problem. Will try recommendations above.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #25
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
JB and same problem. Will try recommendations above.
the zaino works but not 100%. i think it's the closest solution though especially since i dont dd my car i dont mind spraying it down once in awhile
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #26
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
i searched around for an answer to this but i couldnt find a solid one. my garage puts out a good amount of dust and settles onto my car. when i had my 5 series it was much easier to maintain since it was space gray and the dust really had no effect on the look of the car. now with jerez black after my detail a layer settled on and looks not as great anymore. anyone else have a solution to this or at least have suggestions has what to use to wipe down the car? thanks for the help!
Don't do anything, live with the dust between washing or deal with scratching induced by removing the dust/using a car cover. No matter what you use for a QD you are going to use their will be scratching as a result of dusting the car down without washing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohouou View Post
It's pretty bad, noticeable after two or three days, a real good coating of dust. I really don't know where it comes from but it drives me nuts. Like I said I am glad I covered my bike for the winter otherwise it would be brown by spring.

I've found the California duster works well, I haven't noticed any major scratching from it, but it is dry and I am sure it does some micro scratching.. but for me I can live with that vs the dust. Simple waxing fixes all those scratches and you can barely see them unless you get up close. The dust on the other hand you can see from 10-15 feet away. So its a trade off.
Don't kid yourself, the micro scratching you induce in the paint will not be removed by waxing, only hidden by the wax. This is a bad practice and bad advice. If you keep doing this you will soon be creating a thread asking how to remove your swirls.

Point Blank: Never touch your paint with a cloth or duster except just after a wash. In fact, I use a QD for a lubricant when I dry my car after a wash to prevent swirls.
      02-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

you guys are all crazy.
Once I wash my car I don't touch it.

I have Jet Black, and am VERY paint conscious.
Moing, or Wiping any sort of dust across a painted surface is gonna leave surface scratches. REALIZE these light scratches dont go away (they can be almost 100% less visible temporarily with a fresh coat of wax) but the accumulation of them is what seperates the boys from the men.
And a lot of people dont care.. they'd rather not see dust, and never look that deep into it - or can't see the scracthes as different colors hide them well.
Not Black.

I plan to keep the paint as close to showroom quality as possible.. The best advice I would give is,
Touch the car as little as possible!

And dont buy a black car.
signed, jet black M3

PS. In my opinion a car cover could only to be put on if the car had just been imaculately cleaned, Its a high grade cover, and it will not be moving around due to any sort of wind. And I still wouldnt bother.
Covering a car after its been drivin or has any dust on it is going to, again cause surface scratches.

Edit: BMRLVR has got it.
      02-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #28
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

BMRLVR and Rawedge2 got it right!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #29
Bully
United_States
Rep