BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

12-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #45
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
Have you been a waiter/waitress? Do you know exactly what takeout/curbside entails? If not you can shut your mouth. Do you not tip your bartender a couple bucks for that bottle of bud that took them 2 secs to open?

Grocery store's a little different there bud.....They don't get paid $2.50/hr.
Did you miss the part where I said that I have worked EVERY position in a restaurant and that my family owns 5 fine dining locations?!?!

PFt, I think its laughable that your are calling me a cheap ass. If you knew me, I tip large where its due. I always take care of people, because like you, I have waited, bussed, bar tended, etc, but I only tip when I think its necessary.

Get over yourself.

Oh and I don't tip large to the bar tender because it takes X amount of effort to pop a bud light, I tip him large because I want service whenever I look his way and the bar is packed. Thats what its about. I take care of the tender cause he takes care of me, not because there is some dollar amount associated with the amount of work he did for me. They also throw me drinks most of the time.

FYI, to clear up. I always TIP 20% when I sit down in a restaurant.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #46
angrybaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: black 135i 2009

i never tip on take out
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #47
angrybaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
what about smokin hot strippers vs skanky ho strippers. do you tip them the same amount of money for a lap dance or do you tip the skanky ho less? OR do you tip the skanky ho more since she let you stick your finger in her vag?
i tip hot strippers more than skanky ones.

i dont get lap dances from skanky ones tho (full disclosure)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #48
angrybaker
Private First Class
Rep

actually i barely tip at all anymore when i eat out in SF...there is not a "tipped wage" in SF anymore. So all servers are making decent hourly wage. I do tip the cooks however.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #49
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybaker View Post
actually i barely tip at all anymore when i eat out in SF...there is not a "tipped wage" in SF anymore. So all servers are making decent hourly wage. I do tip the cooks however.
Really? Wow, I imagine most people don't know that - so those servers are probably making decent money...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #50
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
Did you miss the part where I said that I have worked EVERY position in a restaurant and that my family owns 5 fine dining locations?!?!

PFt, I think its laughable that your are calling me a cheap ass. If you knew me, I tip large where its due. I always take care of people, because like you, I have waited, bussed, bar tended, etc, but I only tip when I think its necessary.

Get over yourself.

Oh and I don't tip large to the bar tender because it takes X amount of effort to pop a bud light, I tip him large because I want service whenever I look his way and the bar is packed. Thats what its about. I take care of the tender cause he takes care of me, not because there is some dollar amount associated with the amount of work he did for me. They also throw me drinks most of the time.

FYI, to clear up. I always TIP 20% when I sit down in a restaurant.

Great man, Happy Holidays....

You have your view I have mine. We both have lived on that side of the world. As I said to Spec, to me it's just common decency, but by no means a requirement. I don't mind throwing a few bucks for curbside/takeout if the waiter/waitress has a good attitude and is polite. After all we're not talking 20% of the bill. I don't mind helping people once in awhile, and there's nothing about being a "big shot" about it.

Hell, I don't even get takeout/curbside that often. If I'm going to Outback, PF Changs, etc... I'd rather just go inside.

Certainly when you waited you wouldn't have minded a couple bucks your way no?

I apologize if my calling you a "cheap ass" offended you, it seems pretty hilarious to me here's a guy driving a $65-70K car that is nitpicking over $2 for curbside. To each their own.

Anyways we've all made our points, this argument's pretty much over.

EDIT: Btw if you're still selling that M3 steering wheel, I might take it off your hands.

Last edited by Noc57; 12-25-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #51
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Take Out : No Tip

Curbside Pick up : 10%

Sit down/ full waiter's service : 15-20%
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #52
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

If it's a place I go to only once, I usually don't tip. I might tip if it's pouring rain or something and the runners are getting killed.

If it's a place I go to regularly I tip so the staff remembers me. Usually $5 for a take out order of $20 or more.
      12-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #53
newlayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jeep w/ BMW emblems. W.I.P.

It annoys the shit out of me when I encounter someone who has to actually stop and debate if they should tip a few bucks on a meal.

Yes, tip something.

Even if it's a fucking dollar. If you have to stop and debate to tip a fucking dollar (to-go, curbside, etc)...you shouldn't be going out to eat/order food in the first place and you're a cheap fuck.

Who fucking cares if you didn't sit down and get waited on hand and knee. People still tip at little hole in the wall mexican restaurants and chinese buffets where they are lucky to see the server once to take a drink order. Why shouldn't you tip the person handling your order at curbside/to-go? It's not fucking jack in the box.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #54
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

^ I guess you tip at starbucks, mcdonald's, carl's jr. and all the other fast food places you go to huh?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #55
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
Great man, Happy Holidays....

You have your view I have mine. We both have lived on that side of the world. As I said to Spec, to me it's just common decency, but by no means a requirement. I don't mind throwing a few bucks for curbside/takeout if the waiter/waitress has a good attitude and is polite. After all we're not talking 20% of the bill. I don't mind helping people once in awhile, and there's nothing about being a "big shot" about it.

Hell, I don't even get takeout/curbside that often. If I'm going to Outback, PF Changs, etc... I'd rather just go inside.

Certainly when you waited you wouldn't have minded a couple bucks your way no?

I apologize if my calling you a "cheap ass" offended you, it seems pretty hilarious to me here's a guy driving a $65-70K car that is nitpicking over $2 for curbside. To each their own.

Anyways we've all made our points, this argument's pretty much over.

EDIT: Btw if you're still selling that M3 steering wheel, I might take it off your hands.

Cool bro, I feel you.

Still undecided on the wheel. May keep it. But, I'm open to offers.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #56
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlayer View Post
It annoys the shit out of me when I encounter someone who has to actually stop and debate if they should tip a few bucks on a meal.

Yes, tip something.

Even if it's a fucking dollar. If you have to stop and debate to tip a fucking dollar (to-go, curbside, etc)...you shouldn't be going out to eat/order food in the first place and you're a cheap fuck.

Who fucking cares if you didn't sit down and get waited on hand and knee. People still tip at little hole in the wall mexican restaurants and chinese buffets where they are lucky to see the server once to take a drink order. Why shouldn't you tip the person handling your order at curbside/to-go? It's not fucking jack in the box.
What makes jack in the box less than chinese buffet/to-go/curbside/mexican hole-in-the-wall? What about Carls Jr. where the employees BRING YOUR FOOD TO THE TABLE? Please tell me you tip at fast food, or admit you're a hypocrite. kthx.

For the record, based on your strong opinion on the matter I believe you DO tip at least a dollar everytime you go out to eat. Because if you don't, by your own rational
Quote:
you shouldn't be going out to eat/order food in the first place and you're a cheap fuck.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #57
newlayer
Private First Class
Rep

does jack in the box have a spot on the receipt for a tip? how about sonic? how about mcdonalds?

Do you pay for the food after you eat it or before you eat it?

Now, GENERALLY (being the key word) if you pay after you eat something...and the receipt has a spot for a tip...you're a cheap fuck if you don't bother tipping something. Obviously if the service sucks or whatever and you decide not to tip....well that's your business but who cares anyways.

In MY opinion, regardless of curbside or to go...if you'd tip inside/sitting down at the establishment...you should tip the server who does your order regardless of how you're getting it.

so...that being said....

eat a dick.

I tip where I feel it's appropriate.

Nothing in this thread will ever matter because it's all a matter of opinion.

/end
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #58
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
does jack in the box have a spot on the receipt for a tip? how about sonic? how about mcdonalds?
I'm guessing you're trying to say "does fast food have a spot on receipt for tip."

Versus takeout/curbside?

Now, GENERALLY (being the key word) if you pay after you eat something...and the receipt has a spot for a tip...you're a cheap fuck if you don't bother tipping something. Obviously if the service sucks or whatever and you decide not to tip....well that's your business but who cares anyways.
I always tip when I go to a sit down restaurant. When I say sit-down restaurant I mean a TGIF/Olive Garden/Red Robin/etc not something like a burger joint that has a seating area. Well, almost always; I wouldn't tip a horrible service(you'd have to screw up pretty bad not to meet my minimum requirements). Actually if the service was bad enough, I'd tip a penny as an insult.

In MY opinion, regardless of curbside or to go...if you'd tip inside/sitting down at the establishment...you should tip the server who does your order regardless of how you're getting it.
And that would be your opinion and as it actually makes sense, I respect your opinion; or your right to one anyways

so...that being said....

eat a dick.
Only if you promise to tip

I tip where I feel it's appropriate.
As do I.

Nothing in this thread will ever matter because it's all a matter of opinion.
You're right, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. I just don't like it when people try to justify themselves with nonsense.

/end
You'd be surprised, at lot of fast food has a spot on receipt for tip. How often do you venture out to eat? If you pay by card, a lot of fast food tier restaurants are likely have a line for tip. Bear in mind these are burger stands/chinese fast food/mexican food/etc establishments sometimes don't even have a proper seating area. I know you said generally, but using that as a defense is too much a cop out IMO. You could have just as easily came up with another example that applies to all situations.

Please answer the following question as you did not in the previous post.

Carls Jr. brings your order to the table, do you tip?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #59
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

do you tip the mariachi band when they come to your table even though you never asked them to?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #60
newlayer
Private First Class
Rep

I'm having some browser issues, excuse me if the quotes are not copied correctly.

Quote:
I'm guessing you're trying to say "does fast food have a spot on receipt for tip."
Yeah, and most (from what I've personally encountered...don't). Now to be fair...I don't usually eat a small places or places that are not chain restaurants. I can't say I've ever encountered a fast food place that had a spot for a tip. That's just me.

Quote:
Versus takeout/curbside?
I can see why you would make that argument. Curbside is usually from a restaurant where (had you been sitting inside) you'd tip your server. Since the people running curbside are the same servers and you're getting the same food at the same restaurant...I find it appropriate to tip them. They also make tipping an option on the bill so it can't be too far fetched of an idea. That's just me.

Quote:
I always tip when I go to a sit down restaurant. When I say sit-down restaurant I mean a TGIF/Olive Garden/Red Robin/etc not something like a burger joint that has a seating area. Well, almost always; I wouldn't tip a horrible service(you'd have to screw up pretty bad not to meet my minimum requirements). Actually if the service was bad enough, I'd tip a penny as an insult.
I understand what you mean when you say sit down restaurant and I thought this whole thread was about tipping at the curbside section of a sit down restaurant such as TGIF, outback, olive garden etc???

I think that people should tip at curbside at restaurants like this and it pisses me off when people don't. It's common courtesy to tip the servers who handle your food when you're in an environment where people make a living off of tips, regardless of the fact that they might be on the curbside line one day or rotating onto that shift. Whatever the case may be.

Quote:
You're right, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. I just don't like it when people try to justify themselves with nonsense.
Well, so long as all of our opinions are right, everyone else's opinions will be wrong.

I don't think tipping your server is nonsense just because it's curbside. They are still a server and you are still a customer in their section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
You'd be surprised, at lot of fast food has a spot on receipt for tip. How often do you venture out to eat? If you pay by card, a lot of fast food tier restaurants are likely have a line for tip. Bear in mind these are burger stands/chinese fast food/mexican food/etc establishments sometimes don't even have a proper seating area. I know you said generally, but using that as a defense is too much a cop out IMO. You could have just as easily came up with another example that applies to all situations.
Well, as stated above I don't eat at small places like that very often.

I said "generally" because I don't know everything. I'm not going to spend 20 minutes trying to find something to say that applies to every situation. All situations are different. Clearly.

Quote:
Please answer the following question as you did not in the previous post.

Carls Jr. brings your order to the table, do you tip?
Well I've never heard of a Carl Jr. but from the website it looks like some sister company to Hardees. A fast food place.

I can only speculate as I've never eaten there but does the person serving me food get paid an hourly wage that is at least minimum wage? Does this person check on me throughout the meal and refill my drink? Does she bring me the check when I'm finished eating? If so, yeah I'd most likely leave her a tip.

Now I'm not saying that a server has to do all that shit to get a tip out of me but I try to tip in a waitress/customer situation because most waitresses get paid like 2 dollars and hour and live on tips.

If I'm eating at Carls Jr. I can only assume that I've walked in, placed and order and paid for it at the register and some kid making 7.50 an hour walks out and plops a tray on my table whenever it's ready so that I don't clutter up the counter while people are trying to order.

But hey, it's all a judgment call or an opinion.

I'm not going to sit here and say if you or anyone else is right or wrong and if I have, I apologize. I'm just trying to express that it annoys the shit out of me because I strongly disagree with not tipping at curbside.

Last edited by newlayer; 12-30-2009 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #61
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

You people and your tipping...

I love phrases like, "It's expected" etcetera...kind of puts the cart before the horse, doesn't it?
Look, you want a tip (no matter what establishment it is)? Be a good waiter. Treat me and those in my company with respect, do your job well, and you will be taken care of. Treat me with disdain and you can expect your nickel. Even if you are a curbside, you take care of your customers. If it looks like my business is an inconvenience to your day, expect nothing (including my future business).
Tipping is for good service, not an expected payment to pad your wages. If more people would learn this, customer service would certainly be much better (and tips would be better because of it).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #62
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to sit here and say if you or anyone else is right or wrong and if I have, I apologize. I'm just trying to express that it annoys the shit out of me because I strongly disagree with not tipping at curbside.
Forgot Carls is a west coast chain. You pretty much nailed it. It's fast food but they bring your order to your table rather than call your number. But essentially isn't that the same thing as getting curbside or to-go at a nicer restaurant? I just don't get where/how you draw the line. To me, it's the level of service that defines the restaurant/tipping. I understand your opinion but it just doesn't work for me and I may have gotten carried away becuase the way you worded yourself, annoyed me. Why don't we just agree to disagree.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #63
newlayer
Private First Class
Rep

lol fair enough, i'm sure this thread could go on forever and ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #64
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #65
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani View Post
+1.

Sometimes people "in the know" about tipping get extras that cocktail servers normally wouldn't provide. Here's scenario #1:

Gambler: I'd like a venti iced mocha with an extra shot, no whip...is $5 enough?
Server: Sorry, you have to be playing in high limit to order Starbucks drinks. Would you like an iced coffee instead?

Here's scenario #2:

Gambler: I'd like a venti iced mocha with an extra shot, no whip...here's $20 and go ahead and keep the change.
Server: Thank you!
In the know? The guy just paid a $14 premium for a starbucks drink. How exactly is he "in the know? Sounds like a sucker to me.

My second job is in a nightclub, where I do the door. We have some grown men who are bouncers who make as little as $90 for a shift. I would say a fight occurs at least once a night. These men have gotten punched, spit on, tackled etc etc... Meanwhile, a 21 yr old barmaid has the nerve to complain that she only made $150 because it was slow.

I just work on Friday nights, and the club has shifted focus from a dance party to a hip hop party. In all the years doing the job, I never took a tip at the door. I figured I was getting paid enough, and I never wanted to feel obligated to bend the rules or be lenient for an extra $20. (Although, the hip hop clientele we cater to probably wouldn't be able to spell TIP let alone offer one)
      03-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #66
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I'll tip whenever I get sushi or pizza from my favorite local joint. I like to keep the people serving me raw fish happy. Also, I've gotten free pizzas & extras from the pizza place on occassion so I consider it a give/take relationship.