BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #23
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinz View Post
Second, they are not cheap, about 3x more than I would usually pay, the whole package cost me almost $4000.
You paid too much for cheap rims. You can buy gently used OEM 18s or 19s for a fraction of that. Do not equate cost with inherent quality.

Quote:
I'm also surprised you guys don't care about aesthetics of the car, that you'd rather drive with crappy 18" wheels in a car that's not even your DD.
I would invite to head over to Europe (yes, even Regensberg where the M3 is a manufactred) as see how many high end Mercedes, BMWs (my goodness even M3s!!!), and Porsches run on flat black steel rims in the winter. I guess safety and function are more of a concern than "aesthetics".

Again just because it cost a lot and looks good, does not mean it the best or even right choice. A simple search on this board and a little less hubris would have saved you a lot of angst.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #24
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Good advice has been given, you don't want to take it. Stop wasting everyone's time by posting. I don't care if you paid $10k for your wheels, they are cheap replicas. I did a quick search online and your wheels go for $900 a set, I'm not sure how you got to $4000. The fact that you are having these issues should be evidence enough that they are sub-par. OEM wheels are a fantastic option and are in fact cheap if you buy them from one of the numerous people who take them off their car to UPGRADE. An UPGRADE from OEM is a quality wheel in an actual M3 offsets made by a quality manufacturer with a solid reputation. Examples include BBS, Volk, Advan, OZ, HRE... Those options are all very expensive which is why I recommended getting an OEM set used. In addition, I'm not sure what gave you the idea that VMR's are some sort of benchmark around here. They are a decent wheel with a decent reputation but they are still a cast replica.

You are over complicating this. Sell your wheels and move on. Don't take it personally. Live and learn, I have messed around with replica wheels in the past and they were always a complete hassle (bends, vibrations, etc). When you search the forum do you see any posts of anyone having to machine special adapters for their wheels to work? No, it's ridiculous to have to do that.

Good luck.

Edit- here's a set of OEM 19's with new snows for $1550
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940204
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 02-12-2014 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #25
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Your grand response served only to elevate the magnitude of "twit" that you embody. Sell the wheels, try to get back as much of the amazing amount you spent on them and get something the is respectfully/thoughtfully manufactured. You're in Canada, looking for snow tires, first and foremost, get a square setup--anything else is only doing part of the job. Secondly, why in the hell are you trying to run something as large as 275 for those purposes? Remember, you size down for snow tires.

If you don't want to hear the truth, don't make new threads. You're crying about not getting constructive criticism, yet you quite obviously did. You took a shortcut and will have to pay a significant amount to make it work. The wheels obviously are the problem, and considering you are part of that equation, it should be said that you too, are part of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #26
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
What brand are the rims? I must have missed that part.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #27
The Nash
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3; 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Easily missed in this encyclopedia. Found it on Chapter 8, Pg. 6, Paragraph 4 Subsection 2.1

Riva MX7s
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #28
The Nash
Banned
Rep

For the OP: obviously verbal isn't working let's try graphical.

Here is what a good quality wheel does:

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  22.4 KB

Here is what a crap quality wheel does:

Name:  B.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  C.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  7.4 KB

Take a guess which ones you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #29
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habernash
Quote:
Easily missed in this encyclopedia. Found it on Chapter 8, Pg. 6, Paragraph 4 Subsection 2.1

Riva MX7s
Thanks. I bought Avant Gardes for my winters and now I'm worried I'm going to be yelled at!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #30
The Nash
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I bought Avant Gardes for my winters and now I'm worried I'm going to be yelled at!
It just goes to show how effective marketing can be. When people stand tall with a straight face and say Riva, AG, VMR, Varstolen, Fisher Price wheels are good quality.

Hats off to those companies for pulling it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #31
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habernash
Quote:
It just goes to show how effective marketing can be. When people stand tall with a straight face and say Riva, AG, VMR, Varstolen, Fisher Price wheels are good quality.

Hats off to those companies for pulling it off.
Well at least in my defense AG is low forged cast or something like the more expensive ones and passes all the certifications.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #32
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

1) Slicer is not the wheel God, but his recommendation is one I'd strongly consider. You only need to look at all the wheels he's owned and tire sizes he's tried. If you look through any wheel discussion thread, he's usually there to answer succintly.

2) Expensive wheels (doesn't matter where they're made) can be as crappy as Chinese/Phillipine knock offs. Reference the CORR Wheel hysteria, and the Giant ADV.1 thread for this.

3) Yes. There are Mid Tier wheels that may be ok. But they're always going to be a mixed bag. Some sets are good, some are garbage. When you get products made from a company with no reputation, or one that hasn't made the investment to make sure they meet recognized quality standards (TUV/JWL) your experience will be unpredictable.

4) I would take a look at how the spacers were installed. My experience with spacers has been that you really have to install them properly. Was there any debris on the hub that wasn't cleared when the spacers were installed? Were the Spacers damaged/nicked on the mounting surface that would keep them from sitting flush? Aluminum is SOFT, it gouges quite easily) Are the wheel bolts the same length? Are they the proper Length? It seems obvious but you would be really surprised with some of the workmanship out there.

I doubt this thread was intended to dump on the OP's income or whatever direction it looks like it's turning. But it is a good lesson going forward. There's tons of aftermarket for this car, and none if it is cheap (I miss modding my S2000!) You're going to run into lots of mid Tier or bottom feeding aftermarket companies selling garbage for just barely less than the good reputable stuff. I'm beginning to understand this is why all of our cars look the same.....

I hope the OP gets it sorted out.

FWIW, This probably has been shared 100K+ times:
http://youtu.be/BJeFB6SRslk
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #33
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The wheels ARE the problem. The M3 is extremely sensitive to vibration, and unless you go back to OEM or buy quality aftermarket wheels you will not be able to solve your problem. Also, spacers will cause vibration issues unless they fit perfectly and most of the time they don't.

And yes, VMR wheels are crap. They are Chinese made junk. You might get lucky and get a set that will not cause any vibration, but with a car as sensitive as the M3 I would not take that chance.

You also mention that many guys on here run aftermarket wheels like VMR with spacers, etc... I'm telling you most of them probably have some sort of vibration and just ignore it.
Ask me how I know...I've been there done that.
      02-13-2014, 02:02 AM   #34
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I love how during our winter, it's still 82 degrees…. the coldest temps we saw this winter was last week, where it got to ~50 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #35
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I love how during our winter, it's still 82 degrees…. the coldest temps we saw this winter was last week, where it got to ~50 degrees.
i know it sucks. they get heavy Ice/snow... we get drought not that its affecting us yet.. but 82 degrees sounds better than -15...
      02-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #36
Time Lord
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

OP did you try and drive the car without the spacers to see if the vibrations were still there?

also are they balancing the wheels with stickies?
      02-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #37
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

There are a lot of wheels snobs on this board that think unless you spend a thousand dollars a wheels you are riff raff. I purchased an M3 that came with snow ties and replica 18" wheels for that are probably made in china and probably pretty cheap. At freeway speed they vibrate a tiny tiny bit, but not enough for me to both doing anything about it or enough to make me not enjoy the car. The fronts are using 12mm spacers and I haven't tried using the wheels without the spacers to see if it would change them. I'm sure these cheap wheels will suit my purposes just fine since they work well for the most part. If I damage one, I can just replace it for a few hundred dollars.

If you are getting a lot of vibration like you are describing, that shouldn't be happening even with cheep wheels. I would suggest cleaning the surfaces of the wheels and spacers and tightening them back up off the ground making sure they stay centered. Use a criss cross pattern that tightens them up just barely, them do the same thing tightening them more, and the once again until they are fairly tight, then lower the car to the ground for the final tightening to specs. If that doesn't work, remove the spacers and see if that makes any difference. Sometimes through trial and errors you can find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #38
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:

I agree with you here, the rims have the correct hub diameter and there is no problem with them according to the BMW technician. He said there is some slightly play when the wheels are on the spacers, but no play at all when they are on the hub. The problem is that I did get them professionally installed by the same shop that did the wheels/tires. If anyone knows any other shops that maybe specialize in this, maybe they could fix this little "gap"?
You just noted the problem here. Just remove the spacer and the wheel will fit fine. Simple solution to your problem. Any slight play between the wheel and the hub can cause vibration.
      02-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #39
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Epic post and replies!!!

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #40
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Epic post and replies!!!

Really amazing.
      02-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #41
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
There are a lot of wheels snobs on this board that think unless you spend a thousand dollars a wheels you are riff raff..
He spent "almost $4,000" on his set up which he equates to guaranteed quality. He could paid less for quality and not be a snob.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #42
BMW Fanatik
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow

This thread made me laugh endlessly!

You paid $4,000 for a crap set of wheels?
You won't admit that they are the problem because of the amount you spent.
You can get the OEM Winter Package USED for less than $2,000 on here EASY.
You shouldn't trust people who are taking your money, you should trust the opinion of reputable vendors who don't care if you buy from them or not and will give you the correct information.

I bought my OEM 219 18" set with 255/40/18's (70%+ tread) all around for $1,100!!! OEM = no problems.

You sir need to get your sh*t together.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #43
SUBFRAMERIPPER
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habernash View Post
For the OP: obviously verbal isn't working let's try graphical.

Here is what a good quality wheel does:

Attachment 977630

Here is what a crap quality wheel does:

Attachment 977631

Attachment 977632

Take a guess which ones you have?
Damn those Volks are fuqd up. Good thing I bought WORKs! lol.

Oh crap they are reps!!!

Last edited by SUBFRAMERIPPER; 02-13-2014 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: add text
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #44
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Yes I meant potholes, but also general manufacturing and wheel construction. There have been horror stories where these replica wheels experienced major defects form routine use, and that is because their manufacturing is of inferior quality than reputable forged brands and OEM wheels. I am speaking from experience. Just because you overpaid for your replica wheels does not mean they are good quality. You have experienced for yourself how they don't even fit correctly.

I struggle to understand your obstinance in accepting everyone's assessment of your situation. Since you don't seem to want to accept people's advice here, all I can say is Go with God and best of luck.
I am aware of the different kind of casting used to make these wheels, and what their strength is compared to the OEM wheels. I am completely fine with that, as I've been using wheels cast the same way for over 10 years without problem. And if I get a bent wheel one day, I'll glad buy a new one. I saved thousands of dollars, and my car looks better than those being afraid and sticking to OEM-only wheels. Also, I did not "overpay" for the wheels, they are cheaper than the other aftermarket wheels. We are going from "cheap" to "overpriced" now?

If you struggle to understand, think about this: I asked for help with a problem, mentioning the wheels are probably not the problem. Yet, instead of thinking about other solutions, many replied disrespectfully because I said something "bad" about their favourite car brand. Yes, BMW sucks in this compartment as I haven't had a problem doing the exact same thing with other manufacturers.

Ever consider that maybe I'm not "taking" the advice from people here because they are simply wrong? Today I tried replacing them with the OEM wheels. Exact same problem! So if it's these "crappy" wheels that are the problem, why does it happen with the OEM wheels? Now you'll tell me I need to buy special BMW wheels made to drive on the highway?