BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #45
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Just an FYI entry here... this statement was reported by NOLA.com. I thought I would share it. "Brennan's Restaurant in Houston burns to ground by Mark Schleifstein, The Times-Picayune Saturday September 13, 2008, 1:15 AM Brennan's Restaurant of Houston, a fixture of the downtown area of that city for almost 40 years, burned to the ground as the eye of Hurricane Ike moved into the area near midnight Friday, WHOU-TV reported.
Posted by Bayoubrad | September 13, 2008

High winds prevented the fire fighters from doing their job....
      09-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #46
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

im here

slept through most of it
My apartment complex still has power =)

It says something like 3 million people dont have power....yikes
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #47
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

damn, lost power for several hours, but it's back now. some more vid updates from last night and this morning! =/

lol my failed attempt at going outside!

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #48
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

last one!

hope all of you are ok!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #49
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Bleh..first time I have been on E90Post since last week.

My campus, Texas A&M University at Galveston closed last Wedsnesday at 5pm and was closed Thursday and Friday. I headed up to San Marcos Wedsnesday night to stay with my girlfriend at her dorm. Dunno when my campus will be open, maybe by next Tuesday or Wednesday? Our campus is on a little island connected by a bridge off of Galveston. I really am hoping that my place is not destroyed. Quite a few thousand alone in electronics, and all of my clothes, etc. Hope everyone else is okay!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #50
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

wow! i'm glad i don't live in houston anymore. my old house would have been right along the eye wall. glad you guys made it through safely. ike was pretty much a 1 in a billion type of storm to hit galveston and houston so directly. i mean, it literally just traveled straight up 45 into downtown. crazy! i have some friends in la porte that waited until the last minute because they thought they would be able to ride it out but saw the surge into galveston and that's all the convincing that they needed. to say that they're glad they got out is an understatement. this one is gonna take some time to clean up.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #51
bmw318i_95
Rep
Drives: E90

pic
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #52
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Since this is the Texas thread, everyone check in that can.

Haven't had power since 2am Saturday morning during the storm. First time I've had internet access since.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #53
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I am back. Still no power (I am in the office now) to catchup on the news because I have no clue what the heck is going on except what is happening right outside my front door.

Hey Gonzo, thanks for the hour by hour updates, but at 2-6 am on Saturday morning, I was pleading for my life

Oh, glad that all the houston members are OK, except we have not heard from DM1 and Expired.
      09-17-2008, 07:56 AM   #54
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

No prob.
My buddy has a construction/roofing company in Katy. He wants me to come down with some guys to help out. I don't know how long it will be before we can actually go. It still seems shaky regarding gas, power and getting around. Comments?
      09-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #55
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
No prob.
My buddy has a construction/roofing company in Katy. He wants me to come down with some guys to help out. I don't know how long it will be before we can actually go. It still seems shaky regarding gas, power and getting around. Comments?
Well, you have better news then I am since I have no power and no hand radio (might invest in a hand radio for future).

People are going to need roofing re-shingled (the one who are lucky to still have their houses) throughout houston so there will not be a shortage of roofing work for a while.
      09-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #56
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Do you see them (shingles) blown off? What area are you in?
      09-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #57
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
No prob.
My cousin is out in Katy. He said there's no lines or any issues with getting gas out there. Are you experiencing different?

Already said this in the Southwest thread, but anyone near the NW side of town near Jersey Village (located on Senate/290) the Chevron station had gas there and short lines.

I was in line and drove off from the pump in 10minutes. So you may want to try it out. I believe they still have gas, although they put up the caution tape as I was driving off. So maybe they were just shutting down for the night.

Oh but JV got power last night at 8pm. Man those lights in the house are freaking bright! Went by my place off 288/Yellowstone still torn up and still no power.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #58
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
My cousin is out in Katy. He said there's no lines or any issues with getting gas out there. Are you experiencing different?

Already said this in the Southwest thread, but anyone near the NW side of town near Jersey Village (located on Senate/290) the Chevron station had gas there and short lines.

I was in line and drove off from the pump in 10minutes. So you may want to try it out. I believe they still have gas, although they put up the caution tape as I was driving off. So maybe they were just shutting down for the night.

Oh but JV got power last night at 8pm. Man those lights in the house are freaking bright! Went by my place off 288/Yellowstone still torn up and still no power.
So you are next to the medical center. I can tell you driving in to work this morning, many gas stations are closed in the south east area. Not having power does not help. At this time, it is best to not travel too much unless necessary or if you want to deal with waiting in lines for this and for that.

My neighborhood has 6-7 sections and the odd things is some section suffer very little/minimal damage while other sections has major roof and water damage. Many houses lost the shingles and the tarp underneath which causes massive amount of internal water damage.

I should visit the southwest section to see what is the buzz in there. I am the kinda guy that like to post only in the OT section for non related car topics .
      09-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #59
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
last one!

hope all of you are ok!
Hey Dave, maybe you can hook us houston members up with some Shell V-power gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Bleh..first time I have been on E90Post since last week.

My campus, Texas A&M University at Galveston closed last Wedsnesday at 5pm and was closed Thursday and Friday. I headed up to San Marcos Wedsnesday night to stay with my girlfriend at her dorm. Dunno when my campus will be open, maybe by next Tuesday or Wednesday? Our campus is on a little island connected by a bridge off of Galveston. I really am hoping that my place is not destroyed. Quite a few thousand alone in electronics, and all of my clothes, etc. Hope everyone else is okay!
Does not look good for you, main thing is you got out. I was riding my bycicle and I saw a Shell gas station with it whole roof collapsed (and I am like 25 miles from Galveston).
      09-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #60
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
So you are next to the medical center. I can tell you driving in to work this morning, many gas stations are closed in the south east area. Not having power does not help. At this time, it is best to not travel too much unless necessary or if you want to deal with waiting in lines for this and for that.

My neighborhood has 6-7 sections and the odd things is some section suffer very little/minimal damage while other sections has major roof and water damage. Many houses lost the shingles and the tarp underneath which causes massive amount of internal water damage.

I should visit the southwest section to see what is the buzz in there. I am the kinda guy that like to post only in the OT section for non related car topics .
Yea, about 5 minutes from the medical center. Roommate called me today and said he stopped by and noticed he missed some meat when cleaning out he fridge and it leaked out. I didn't notice it yesterday though. Funny though, he asked if I wanted the one Budweiser I had left in the fridge. Umm...hot beer....no thanks!

As far as gas, I've driven like a grandma. Shifting at 2K, cruise control at 65mph.Coasting a lot. I seriously am going crazy.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #61
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
i finally have power after 5 days.
this is what i got.

^^^^my backyard^^^^
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #62
txusa03
Major General
Rep

BillLee glad you are Ok and hope all your family are Ok as well. Siena Plantation is that on the north side of houston?

This is the reason why I trim down my oak trees.

Here are some photos from my area.
Attached Images

09-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #63
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
i finally have power after 5 days.
this is what i got.

^^^^my backyard^^^^
Damn man, glad you didn't get hurt. Luckily just a fence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
BillLee glad you are Ok and hope all your family are Ok as well. Siena Plantation is that on the north side of houston?

This is the reason why I trim down my oak trees.

Here are some photos from my area.
Wow, that Shell station is trashed. Did you post those on chron.com? I think I saw a similar pic of that station on there.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #64
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Couch, i did not post it on chron...only here and it is 3 miles from my house.
      09-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #65
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I got a call from a friend of a friend. She lives in Spring and still can't go home. She said that West U/Bellaire/River Oaks is just torn up. That is the west side. I can only imagine what the east looks like.
      09-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #66
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I got a call from a friend of a friend. She lives in Spring and still can't go home. She said that West U/Bellaire/River Oaks is just torn up. That is the west side. I can only imagine what the east looks like.
Why can't she get home to Spring?

It is torn up. I saw my cousins pics of the house he's watching in R.O. and it's trashed. Wood floors buckled, holes in roof, ceiling on the floor.
Appreciate 0