BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

06-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #45
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Cheers Nick
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #46
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Maybe I'm going blind but I can't see a whole lot of difference for the cost!! Might need to see it in the flesh to see the real difference...

E46 M3 GTR Race Car
1988 E30 320i track car with 2.7L stroker engine and all the trimmings.
E36 M3 Race Car
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #47
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Gilbo - probably not really worth it. But I feel the look is just a little more agressive (because there is no white from the indicator).

Anyway If you like something.... sometimes you just have to make the investment!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #48
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3E92Junkie View Post
Andrew - we met at the BMWCCV event some time back.

I'm interested in the group order and since I'm in Melbourne would like to get them installed (by your team) as well.

PM me with details and next steps.
I need to do a read of one of the modules, and then i will know where we are at.

seems every one is hanging out for someone else to do it, lol,

If you want to be the first, pop past and i'll have a look while you wait, that would be the first step.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #49
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i

Boys - any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #50
CRT3
i eat disco for breakfast
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

im interested! please pm me if the group buy is going ahead.

SAPHIRE BLACK 07 E92 335I /// M-SPORT
// H&R SPRINGS // CF SPLITTERS // MATTE BLK GRILL // 19" // SUNROOF // GP THURDERS // JB+// BLACKOUT ROUNDELS
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #51
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Guys, we can organize a GB for you and might be able to assist you with coding of FRM2 which CAN NOT be codded with Autologic tool.

We codded a few cars over the past few days with FRM2 modules and Euro LCI lights and everything works great !

You can find some info here

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406753

Here is Euro light vs US ... It is hard to capture it but you can still see the difference

We just sold all of the Euro tail lights kits but more are coming very soon.

Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #52
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Autologic will have this working very soon within their tooling, i know they are working on this now. Remote coding is dangerous in many respects in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #53
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
Autologic will have this working very soon within their tooling, i know they are working on this now. Remote coding is dangerous in many respects in my opinion.
Very much so, as you would most likely end up with differing levels of intergration between the FRM module and the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #54
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
It's very risky as there are many variables that can lead to a bricked FRM module. Most common would be the use of a non-regulated power supply as a voltage spike can cause coding failures. We use a Autologic-approved Fronius Activa Power supply ($1500), SnapOn offers a lower featured unit in the ~$800 range.

Other possibilities:

- Voltage spike from power source
- Wifi Connection drops on host computer
- Computer/Laptop crashes during updating

The list goes on. If a mistake is made (whether or not is is one's fault) the module can be "bricked" - it will likely not be saved or brought back to life via remote coding, making for an interesting conversation with your SA as to why BMW should be covering the bill.

Bringing your vehicle to a qualified programmer to autologic approved facility that has received proper training ensures that the technician knows how to account if any of these things should occur, making sure your BMW is in safe hands.

Tools are only as good as the person (with proper training/experience) using them.

I'm working on FRM2 coding at this time, Andrew - as discussed on the phone yesterday, I'll keep you updated.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #55
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Just to clarify, am I correct in saying that the alternative to re-coding the FRM2 module is to simply buy and install an FRM3?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #56
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Just to clarify, am I correct in saying that the alternative to re-coding the FRM2 module is to simply buy and install an FRM3?
That's right mate. FRM3 will support the new codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #57
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
That's right mate. FRM3 will support the new codes.
Thanks zender....

So with this now confirmed, can the vendors (EAS and Alekshop) please quote us on a set of Euro spec E92 M3 LCI taillights with the FRM3 module delivered to Australia? Or PM if preferred.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #58
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It's very risky as there are many variables that can lead to a bricked FRM module. Most common would be the use of a non-regulated power supply as a voltage spike can cause coding failures. We use a Autologic-approved Fronius Activa Power supply ($1500), SnapOn offers a lower featured unit in the ~$800 range.

Other possibilities:

- Voltage spike from power source
- Wifi Connection drops on host computer
- Computer/Laptop crashes during updating

The list goes on. If a mistake is made (whether or not is is one's fault) the module can be "bricked" - it will likely not be saved or brought back to life via remote coding, making for an interesting conversation with your SA as to why BMW should be covering the bill.

Bringing your vehicle to a qualified programmer to autologic approved facility that has received proper training ensures that the technician knows how to account if any of these things should occur, making sure your BMW is in safe hands.

Tools are only as good as the person (with proper training/experience) using them.

I'm working on FRM2 coding at this time, Andrew - as discussed on the phone yesterday, I'll keep you updated.

It was made clear by Autologic team that they don't have a proper coding for FRM2 modules at this time and they never promised to come up with the solution. I hope they will come out with something so all other Autologic shops can offer this option to their customers instead of making them purchase a new $369 FRM3 module.

In response to the statement below, there is NO such thing as an Autologic approved facility. Autologic can sell their products to a business or individual as long as they are willing to pay the price.
Autologic does not provide any special training except for the once a year training class.

Quote:
Also, I would really appreciate if you keep this conversation free of any assumptions since you have no knowledge in what we do. I can assure people reading this thread that their cars are safe when we do the coding.

Aleks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #59
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks zender....

So with this now confirmed, can the vendors (EAS and Alekshop) please quote us on a set of Euro spec E92 M3 LCI taillights with the FRM3 module delivered to Australia? Or PM if preferred.
The last price of the Euro LCI complete kit was $698. The price might change due to exchange rate. The FRM3 module is $369.

Shipping determined based on address.

Thank you,
Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #60
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop View Post
It was made clear by Autologic team that they don't have a proper coding for FRM2 modules at this time and they never promised to come up with the solution. I hope they will come out with something so all other Autologic shops can offer this option to their customers instead of making them purchase a new $369 FRM3 module.

In response to the statement below, there is NO such thing as an Autologic approved facility. Autologic can sell their products to a business or individual as long as they are willing to pay the price.
Autologic does not provide any special training except for the once a year training class.

Also, I would really appreciate if you keep this conversation free of any assumptions since you have no knowledge in what we do. I can assure people reading this thread that their cars are safe when we do the coding.

Aleks
Aleks,

All BMW owners have a right to know who is working on their vehicles - whether remotely or on-site.

I'm really surprised you are challenging this - do you remember your PM to me back in May asking how to use your newly acquired autologic and how to perform these types of retrofits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop
Hey Tom,

Thank you for replying on Autologic forums.

We just got this tool a week ago, so I am still getting to know it ...

Any tips on how to do the programing process?

What needs to be done first, second and third ?

Also, are the PnP harnesses that you guys offer made by BMW or it is some aftermarket part ?

If you have any of your customers here in Norcal interested in programing, you can send them my way and I'll do the same in return.

I would really appreciate your help!

Aleks.
And my response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Aleks,

Please understand that I have a lot of time and R&D invested in making this happen. I cannot give a step-by-step list on how to duplicate the kit for a competitor (I'm using the term loosely, no offense) to offer on their own - which will hurt our business.

If you are fully capable of CIP programming, I will send customers your way - but cannot train how to use the autologic. This is not something that is learned overnight - I have over 10+ years experience in integration and BMW control units.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
You have less than 2 months of experience with the autologic system, nor are you the actual one performing remote or any type of coding. You even took a cheap shot at us in your thread here, creating the impression the FRM2 was coded via the autologic - with no mention of how the coding was performed (remotely via NCS): http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406753

I'm still waiting for answers to my questions within that thread on what you are specifically coding within the system, an experienced technician would be able to answer these rather easily.

Note: When we do complete FRM2 coding, we will be releasing our notes to autologic, which means you (as well as the rest all other autologic subscribers) will have this coding on your next update as an option.

Please don't take credit for this also.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #61
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Correct - Andrew @ SouthernBM should be able to perform the coding.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #62
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Aleks, that's quite low-class on your part. Why on Earth would you ask Tom to teach you how to be his competitor? Saying that "the other vendor" hadn't figured out how to code for FRM2 was completely unnecessary as well. I also had no idea you had such little knowledge in regards to programming, otherwise I would have never wanted you to work on my FRM2 to begin with. I'll wait for Tom to figure out the FRM2 issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Aleks,

All BMW owners have a right to know who is working on their vehicles - whether remotely or on-site.

I'm really surprised you are challenging this - do you remember your PM to me back in May asking how to use your newly acquired autologic and how to perform these types of retrofits?

And my response:

You have less than 2 months of experience with the autologic system, nor are you the actual one performing remote or any type of coding. You even took a cheap shot at us in your thread here, creating the impression the FRM2 was coded via the autologic - with no mention of how the coding was performed (remotely via NCS): http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406753

I'm still waiting for answers to my questions within that thread on what you are specifically coding within the system, an experienced technician would be able to answer these rather easily.

Note: When we do complete FRM2 coding, we will be releasing our notes to autologic, which means you (as well as the rest all other autologic subscribers) will have this coding on your next update as an option.

Please don't take credit for this also.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #63
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Eric,

I was open with Tom that i acquired autologic tool and was asking for some tips. I also posted some questions on Autologic forum and Tom was the first one to reply. This is the reason why I decided to ask him some question. I probably shouldn't have done that.

I did not say that other vendor didn't figured out how to code FRM2, what I said was that according to the other vendor working on the same project can NOT be coded.

This is what Tom posted:

Quote:
we found a coding index of 9, (FRM2), not compatible for coding and must be replaced with a FRM3.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=107

And to be clear, Andrew@Autologic is figuring out how to code FRM2. Andrew collects data from cars that come through shop's and then releasing some kind of update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
Aleks, that's quite low-class on your part. Why on Earth would you ask Tom to teach you how to be his competitor? Saying that "the other vendor" hadn't figured out how to code for FRM2 was completely unnecessary as well. I also had no idea you had such little knowledge in regards to programming, otherwise I would have never wanted you to work on my FRM2 to begin with. I'll wait for Tom to figure out the FRM2 issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #64
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Tom,

Nobody is challenging you. I appreciate what you guys do and I said long time ago that you guys did a good job remember ?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=148

I didn't create any impression nor I mentioned anywhere in that thread that coding was done by Autologic. Autologic was used just to show that the vehicle had FRM2 module.

As the matter of fact, I was the one who mentioned in your Q&A that FRM2 may needs to be replaced. Being inexperienced ( as you say ) I was able to figured that out before you mentioned anything about it.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=79

I did purchase autologic not too long ago, but with the help from guys at autologic (Andrew, Keith, Brian) I was able to learn quite a bit within this period of time. For those who don't know how autologic works, it is pretty simple, it has step by step instructions and it tells you what to do step after step. Before anything was done on my customer's cars, I did use my 80k car as a guinea pig to make sure no harm will be done.

The reason why I didn't answer your questions should be obvious to you - you are working on the same project.

And to be clear again, I never took credit for what you guys did ... if you can prove that I did , you should post that. Otherwise you should take it back.

BR,
Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #65
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop View Post
Tom,

Nobody is challenging you. I appreciate what you guys do and I said long time ago that you guys did a good job remember ?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=148

I didn't create any impression nor I mentioned anywhere in that thread that coding was done by Autologic. Autologic was used just to show that the vehicle had FRM2 module.

As the matter of fact, I was the one who mentioned in your Q&A that FRM2 may needs to be replaced. Being inexperienced ( as you say ) I was able to figured that out before you mentioned anything about it.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=79

I did purchase autologic not too long ago, but with the help from guys at autologic (Andrew, Keith, Brian) I was able to learn quite a bit within this period of time. For those who don't know how autologic works, it is pretty simple, it has step by step instructions and it tells you what to do step after step. Before anything was done on my customer's cars, I did use my 80k car as a guinea pig to make sure no harm will be done.

The reason why I didn't answer your questions should be obvious to you - you are working on the same project.

And to be clear again, I never took credit for what you guys did ... if you can prove that I did , you should post that. Otherwise you should take it back.

BR,
Aleks.
Aleks,

The FRM2 issue was known when I was performing coding when this started, nothing you posted was beneficial to our cause as I don't typically report issues until a resolution is known or close. I personally worked with autologic to utilize the FRM detection window - the very same one you show in your video.

Afterthought: Original post has been edited as we're taking the high road on this one - it's simply not worth arguing about. There is enough info in this thread for those to base their decisions upon.

I highly urge forum members to ask plenty of questions before choosing a coding facility for their M3 (whether it be brick and mortar or remote). This is a field where experience matters.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 07-20-2010 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #66
zyfan2
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

wow, im in melbourne and really wanna have this to install on my car...
Appreciate 0