BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #23
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Even if you identify why, you still can't compare clutch bearing noise in the M3 because of the giant distance difference. Class is NOT dismissed. We don't really know how much comparative noise the Porsche's bearing gives off because it's back there with all that excessive engine noise. At least Porsche improved noise control when they went water cooled, but it's nothing to brag about.

Don't get me wrong, thanks to gobs of power and measures taken to control the weight bias, the top of the line Porsches are incredible cars, but their value below 100k escapes me. The Cayman S with a few more hp would be intriguing, but the 911-based models are not great values, IMHO.

Dave
      03-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #24
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I'm enjoying this thread.
      03-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #25
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

me too. eh. who cares. lol

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

BAD NEWS to anyone who has the noise!!
I just came back from our BMW dealer, and based upon a very knowledgable service tech - drives an M5 (not the chief who had no idea about the existance of a manual M3) the noise is NOT normal. The drop in rpm is!
I told him the "forum" opinion, that the noise is OK, then we tried another 6sp M3 on the lot. No noise over there.
He tried to explain to me what may be the source of the noise then ordered some parts and scheduled the car for service. I will tell you more after the service on Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #27
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
BAD NEWS to anyone who has the noise!!
I just came back from our BMW dealer, and based upon a very knowledgable service tech - drives an M5 (not the chief who had no idea about the existance of a manual M3) the noise is NOT normal. The drop in rpm is!
I told him the "forum" opinion, that the noise is OK, then we tried another 6sp M3 on the lot. No noise over there.
He tried to explain to me what may be the source of the noise then ordered some parts and scheduled the car for service. I will tell you more after the service on Thursday.
Noises are hard to describe in a forum. Could be yours is different than what many others have. I can hear a VERY slight rattle sometimes, but it is hardly noticeable.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
gnatty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I do get the "boiling water" sort of noise when the clutch is not engaged and I am sitting in neutral. Doesn't bother me though, sounds pretty common..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #29
attila
Captain
Rep

Well, my noise is more of a grinding, mechanical rubbing noise. It is always there but it's stronger when the car is warm.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #30
gnatty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Well, my noise is more of a grinding, mechanical rubbing noise. It is always there but it's stronger when the car is warm.
Now that does sound like something I would get checked out..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #31
attila
Captain
Rep

BMWNA has no clutch replacement parts in the US, i was told. It will take two weeks to get the parts.
Never had problems like this before! Well, my first BMW - maybe the last one too!Absolutely new car with a bad clutch. Do they have QA in Munich. The whole thing reminds me of old days back in Hungary (communist times) when you actually had to reassemble the Romanian version of Renault 7 (Dacia) almost completetely.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #32
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
BMWNA has no clutch replacement parts in the US, i was told. It will take two weeks to get the parts.
Never had problems like this before! Well, my first BMW - maybe the last one too!Absolutely new car with a bad clutch. Do they have QA in Munich. The whole thing reminds me of old days back in Hungary (communist times) when you actually had to reassemble the Romanian version of Renault 7 (Dacia) almost completetely.
Well, I have the noise as well. It's like a metal spoon with plastic cover on chirping noise. Not quite a real metal hitting (bell) noise, but a little on the mechanical side. But this is not just a BMW specific. I had my tranny replaced because of the same noise with my IS300.
I am planning on taking it to a dealer to have my tranny checked out, but the V8 sound totally covers the tranny noise. I am smiling everytime the engine fires up!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #33
attila
Captain
Rep

Yes, i think you have the same noise I got. BMW said it's the clutch and not the gearbox.
The engine is the nicest part of the whole package. i like the interior too. Was just not ready for any mechanical isssue right out of the lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #34
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, i think you have the same noise I got. BMW said it's the clutch and not the gearbox.
The engine is the nicest part of the whole package. i like the interior too. Was just not ready for any mechanical isssue right out of the lot.
I wish the noise would happen the opposite, meaning I'd hear it when cold, but once the car warms up, it'd go away. But as we know, it's more noticable once the car is warmed up. But to be honest, I like it since I feel the car is "alive".

However, do let us know with the fix, how much better it is. As a matter of fact, can you ask your mechanic to open a BMW PUMA case or fix case # so we can just refer to it to save trouble of explaining it, going to other dealers if some say the usual "oh that's normal" crap?
Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #35
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
I think thou protests too much. Every manufacturer has issues with some percentage of vehicles no matter how much you spend on it. The fact that clutch parts are not available means, I believe, that they have not been in demand (a good thing). Yours is one of the first replacements I have heard of.

Sure, it's disappointing to you, but this car in general has a good quality record so far.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #36
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

Given the number of us that hear various noises similar to yours, I doubt there is really anything wrong with your transmission. We seem to have different ways of describing the noises, but it sounds to me like you've got the same stuff the rest of us hear--regardless of what the BMW tech said. I hear mine off and on--it's not constant and can vary from gear to gear, or even in neutral. It's not that surprising to me that the tech didn't hear it in another M3. I have a strong suspicion that nothing is really wrong here.

If you can get a new transmission out of it, and that makes you feel better, then great. Maybe there is actually something wrong with yours. But I wouldn't hold my breath about getting a silent one. I'd be more leary of letting the dealership replace the transmission. I just don't like people taking my car apart. Just my $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #37
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie_perm View Post
Given the number of us that hear various noises similar to yours, I doubt there is really anything wrong with your transmission. We seem to have different ways of describing the noises, but it sounds to me like you've got the same stuff the rest of us hear--regardless of what the BMW tech said. I hear mine off and on--it's not constant and can vary from gear to gear, or even in neutral. It's not that surprising to me that the tech didn't hear it in another M3. I have a strong suspicion that nothing is really wrong here.

If you can get a new transmission out of it, and that makes you feel better, then great. Maybe there is actually something wrong with yours. But I wouldn't hold my breath about getting a silent one. I'd be more leary of letting the dealership replace the transmission. I just don't like people taking my car apart. Just my $0.02.
Mine is consistent. It's there all the time and same symptoms every time; once warmed up, you hear the chirping noise..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #38
louie_perm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
Mine is consistent. It's there all the time and same symptoms every time; once warmed up, you hear the chirping noise..
Mine is fairly consistent after it is warmed up and I sit with the clutch engaged in neutral. Although, I can affect it slightly by disengaging and then re-engaging the clutch slowly.

But, I also hear transmission noises while driving: like when accelerating lightly or holding my speed on level grade in 5th gear; sometimes when coming off the accelerator in 2nd; hardly ever in 3rd, regardless of velocity or acceleration; sometimes in 4th when slightly deccelerating, etc. It's all pretty much the same kind of noise that it makes in neutral.

The manual states that certain noises are related to torque changes, and all of what I've described generally falls into that category. But the torque changes don't have to be abrupt, evidently. In fact, IME, it's the slight torque changes that bring on the noises.

I'm hoping my 5th gear, in particular, quiets down a little as I get more wear on it. I'm at about 450 miles now.

The noise in 5th reminds me somewhat of a noise my Mustang 5.0 used to make in 5th, which was overdrive in that car--1,500 rpm at 65 mph. Had that car for 11 years and traded it in with the original clutch still working fine.
Appreciate 0