BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #67
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

thats ok the price was rediculous for the performance. ill stick with my M3 sedan .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #68
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why? A Porsche 911 GT3 costs as much and is not faster. Yet it is boring, there are so many of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #69
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Why? A Porsche 911 GT3 costs as much and is not faster. Yet it is boring, there are so many of them.
wow, can't speak for the GTS as haven't driven one…yet :-)
but I wouldn't call a GT3 boring by any means.

anyways, has anyone seen this youtube vid. kinda sappy but has an nice slow-motion of the GTS. love the orange….still liked it more on the GT3 RS though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmPt5...layer_embedded

p.s. i swear there is a bmw in that video. its right behind the blue bikini. lol

Last edited by karussell; 02-07-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #70
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah it was a nice vid. Love the M3 GTS even more now. And will love it even more when we will have official time on the Ring. M3 GTS, at last a car that does not need to be modded (unfortunatly already sold out, and I havn't yet got the €€€€).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #71
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Did anybody notice that the front driver's wheel is bent in the video? You can definitely see some side-to-side motion in the wheel.
I just watched it and I too noticed it but reckon it's the tyre that is flexing, otherwise the shake on the steering wheel would be plain awful.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #72
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Did anybody notice that the front driver's wheel is bent in the video? You can definitely see some side-to-side motion in the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I just watched it and I too noticed it but reckon it's the tyre that is flexing, otherwise the shake on the steering wheel would be plain awful.
That's not a bent rim, or an out of balance tire guys...

The side to side motion in the video is caused by the rumble strips on the track.

Modern track operators do this on purpose to discourage track rats from 'riding' the curbs to shave a few tenths off their lap times.

The GTS is riding on these rough 'grooved' rumble strips, and it's upsetting the handling of the car. (just like the track designer/owner wants)
      02-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #73
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
That's not a bent rim, or an out of balance tire guys...

The side to side motion in the video is caused by the rumble strips on the track.

Modern track operators do this on purpose to discourage track rats from 'riding' the curbs to shave a few tenths off their lap times.

The GTS is riding on these rough 'grooved' rumble strips, and it's upsetting the handling of the car. (just like the track designer/owner wants)
Didn't say it was the rim or an out of balance tyre, only that it was the tyre flexing, the rumble strip is the logical reason for this.

P.S.
If I had a pound ($1.58 ) for every time I bent a axle cog on my kart going over these rumble strips I would have been a richer man, if not completely a millionaire.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #74
BZTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, M4

Competition package wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
There's an interesting detail about the GTS wheels, that I'm sure no one else on this board is aware of yet...

BBS did not end up getting the production contract to make the GTS wheels after all...

Several GTS wheel prototypes were built by a few different BMW OE wheel suppliers (this is BMW's standard operating procedure), and I know for a fact that BBS did not get the contract to build these GTS wheels. (their OE wheel factories are running at max capacity right now)

BBS has had to delay their own wheel models (like the 19" CH-R) to this Feburary, because their factories have been so busy in the past six months.

So another OE wheel manufacturer was awarded the contract to build the GTS Style 359M wheel...
Is it possible to get more information regarding Competition (359M style) wheels? Based on Competition package price I don’t think that they will be forged, so it will be nice to know how heavy they will be? Also, during the interview with M Brand Manager Larry Koch he pointed that Competition wheels “are quiet similar to GTS wheels but in silver”. I was wondering if BMW will supply GTS cars with the forged wheels and Competition package will get the same style wheel but in cast?
Any information will be appreciated
Appreciate 0