BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

07-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #67
BMWBias
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sport

Your trip looked amazing. Great Pics. Congratulations on obtaining a gorgeous car.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #68
Piotr74656
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 VW CC 2.0

Congratulations!!! The last picture in which you are hugging the bonnet of your M3 is epic.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #69
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Congratulations and thanks for the great write up. I am planning an August delivery and this was helpful .....

I hope the time to your PCD delivery goes quick ..... you will enjoy Spartanburg and if you take the Blue Ridge trail home that will be fun too!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #70
AZ865
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i DCT

Welome to the family.............awsome machie.
      07-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #71
TomElektro
To drift is not a crime
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis View Post
They do this per agreement with the local building and fire authorities for safety reasons.
That´s what they say... They also might just save some money for the gas...

But anyway: really cool photos and write up! Too bad the Nordschleife was closed. Since I´ve driven it a hundred times I can assure you that you´ve missed an epic experience. So come back!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #72
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis View Post
They do this per agreement with the local building and fire authorities for safety reasons.
Exactly. I was told that my car had to have a 1/4 tank or less when I returned it to E.H. Harms after ED. They said it was a safety regulation for shipping in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #73
snowboarder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

this is a great picture, your face says it all
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #74
phrogbubbaE92
Heavy Footed..
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 DCT E92 M3

great write up. congrats!
      07-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #75
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 535I

beautiful car!
      07-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #76
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Congrats and great write up! Your E90 m3 looks amazing too
      07-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #77
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Congrats on your new M3! Looks like a dream trip. Thanks for sharing with us.
      07-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #78
boboleto
Enlisted Member
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 ///M coupe

This is gonna be my first post at this forum =) ... been reading thru bimmerpost for about a year now after acquiring a z4m coupe. This is my first bmw and first euro car, had a 2004 infiniti g35 coupe and a 2003 subaru wrx before that. And can’t see myself back on anything other than a BMW!

I currently live in Panama (the country, not Panama City, FL) and have no plan of moving anywhere, anytime soon. All of my cars are USDM cars that have been exported to Panama. The Subaru wrx was the only car bought new, used for couple of years during my college career in the US and then exported to Panama once done with my studies.

I just found out about ED program through this post and spend all night last night search and soaking in as much info as I could about this program. ED is not offered at our local BMW dealership (and have no plans for having one either, they don’t care much about it down here since Panama only have ONE! bmw dealership that deals with the whole country supply and have exclusivity over the brand).

Now with that said. I have plans of acquiring a new e92 m3 in a year or so, just right before they close production on this model. Is there some how that I could be eligible to participate in this program? I hold a tourist US visa that doesn’t expire till 2019. My rough plan would be to go to Miami (the cheapest plane ticket is Pma-MIA), buy an m3 thru ED program (since I was already planning to get my m3 in the US and export it to Panama), pick up the car at Welt and spend the happiest days of my life, drop the car so they can have it shipped to MIA and once it gets there have it shipped down to Panama!!

I’m very familiar with shipping cars from US to Pma. I´ve shipped over a dozen cars from the US for personal use, friends and family.

PS. Fyi a brand new e92 m3 cost 120,000.00 USD in Pma!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #79
snowboarder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I don't think you can do it. The ED program is for the US residents only.
If it worked the way you think it does, many Canadians would use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #80
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder View Post
I don't think you can do it. The ED program is for the US residents only.
If it worked the way you think it does, many Canadians would use it.
Many Canadians do use it. Like me 6 weeks ago. I did it through a Canadian dealership though.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #81
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboleto View Post
This is gonna be my first post at this forum =) ... been reading thru bimmerpost for about a year now after acquiring a z4m coupe. This is my first bmw and first euro car, had a 2004 infiniti g35 coupe and a 2003 subaru wrx before that. And can’t see myself back on anything other than a BMW!

I currently live in Panama (the country, not Panama City, FL) and have no plan of moving anywhere, anytime soon. All of my cars are USDM cars that have been exported to Panama. The Subaru wrx was the only car bought new, used for couple of years during my college career in the US and then exported to Panama once done with my studies.

I just found out about ED program through this post and spend all night last night search and soaking in as much info as I could about this program. ED is not offered at our local BMW dealership (and have no plans for having one either, they don’t care much about it down here since Panama only have ONE! bmw dealership that deals with the whole country supply and have exclusivity over the brand).

Now with that said. I have plans of acquiring a new e92 m3 in a year or so, just right before they close production on this model. Is there some how that I could be eligible to participate in this program? I hold a tourist US visa that doesn’t expire till 2019. My rough plan would be to go to Miami (the cheapest plane ticket is Pma-MIA), buy an m3 thru ED program (since I was already planning to get my m3 in the US and export it to Panama), pick up the car at Welt and spend the happiest days of my life, drop the car so they can have it shipped to MIA and once it gets there have it shipped down to Panama!!

I’m very familiar with shipping cars from US to Pma. I´ve shipped over a dozen cars from the US for personal use, friends and family.

PS. Fyi a brand new e92 m3 cost 120,000.00 USD in Pma!!!
I would think that if you bought the car at a US dealership you could do ED. However, there are a lot of other things to consider. Does the car have the necessary equipment to title it in Panama? (As a Canadian I can buy a car in the US but there may be some changes that must be done to it before I can register it here in Canada. (I need a metric speedometer if it doesn't have one, day time running lights and other things. I don't know about Panama. Some cars are just not practical to modify for here, particularly if they don't have the 5 mph bumper. US only requires a 2.5 mph bumper I think.)

Also will the warranty be recognized in Panama? (Here in Canada some companies like Honda won't recognize the warranty on a US-purchased car.) The price you quote is nearly double the US price. Will Panama charge you duty when you import it? You may not be able to title the car when it is delivered to the US so you may need to get a broker involved in shipping the car to the dock and getting it on a ship.

I think that you have some research to do.

Last edited by goldminer; 07-05-2011 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #82
snowboarder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
Many Canadians do use it. Like me 6 weeks ago. I did it through a Canadian dealership though.
Duh, I meant Canadians buying in the US.
Can you guys do it? Your following post suggests you can, but
you have to make some mods to meet Canadian law...

US ED program says you have to be an US resident
and have the US driving license and US social security number.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #83
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Looks like a great time!

I hope to be able to do an ED during my lifetime!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #84
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

The problem is that BMW has a standing agreement across the borders the way I understand it that a US dealership cannot sell a car to a Canadian. If they could then the Canadian dealerships all would go out off business since an Canadian M3 is much more then a US M3.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #85
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

The brochure on Canada's ED program also said I had to show a Canadian Social Insurance number but nobody ever asked for it. All I did was show a passport at the Welt to prove my identity. They never even asked for a driver's license.

As for the mods, I was just talking about a conventional purchase of a car in the US for importation to Canada. Your BMWs are cheaper but there is a hassle-filled process to go through to get it here and title it.

As discussed above some dealerships won't sell to Canadian residents but that isn't law, it's just the franchise agreement for some brands. I didn't think BMW was one of those brands. I know people who have purchased in the US and brought cars up here.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #86
JugadorJR
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

great story!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #87
subyhau
Registered
Rep
Drives: subaru

Quote:
I would think that if you bought the car at a US dealership you could do ED. However, there are a lot of other things to consider. Does the car have the necessary equipment to title it in Panama? (As a Canadian I can buy a car in the US but there may be some changes that must be done to it before I can register it here in Canada. (I need a metric speedometer if it doesn't have one, day time running lights and other things. I don't know about Panama. Some cars are just not practical to modify for here, particularly if they don't have the 5 mph bumper. US only requires a 2.5 mph bumper I think.)

Also will the warranty be recognized in Panama? (Here in Canada some companies like Honda won't recognize the warranty on a US-purchased car.) The price you quote is nearly double the US price. Will Panama charge you duty when you import it? You may not be able to title the car when it is delivered to the US so you may need to get a broker involved in shipping the car to the dock and getting it on a ship.

I think that you have some research to do.
As far as registry goes I have no problem, Pma law requires minimum if any restrictions. Again I have exported many cars for US to Pma and was able to register it, no hassle. Only requirements I can recall are only LHD. We dont even have to smog our cars, we dont have emission test down here. I dont even thing there is a law requiring you to have a speedo on your car hahahaha and if there is any, nobody even bother checking! (we do have speed limits tho). Again low restrictions on this part.

Warranty wise I really dont care, dont trust the local BMW dealership anyways.... they always come up with a story or find a loop hole in the system so you end up paying for everything or at least something.... I already work with a very reputable shop who specialize only on euro cars. (mainly bimmers). The head mechanic there worked for the dealership for more than 8 yrs I believe, before deciding to open his own shop.

Duty in pma for used cars is 30% of the actual car value or close to that (there is a chart and different things apply to different cars, yr, model, etc). And since my car will be considered used as it arrived to the US from the ED program (at least thats the info I got from various site explaining the whole ED process)

I dont think I will need to title my car when it arrives to US because its not going to be driven in the US, it just going to layover US before heading to Pma.

I already have my broker in MIA, she takes cares of picking up the car, rolling it to the vessel and dropping it in Pma.

My main concern it's not the US to Pma part.... since I've already done that before. Its the "me not being a us resident (although I do have a social No. that was issue to me when I was in college in Sacramento) applying to the ED program"
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #88
subyhau
Registered
Rep
Drives: subaru

Quote:

As discussed above some dealerships won't sell to Canadian residents but that isn't law, it's just the franchise agreement for some brands. I didn't think BMW was one of those brands. I know people who have purchased in the US and brought cars up here.
As far as Panamania goes, I know it can be done. A friend flew up there, bought a brand new GTR R35 and ship it down here. But thats Nissan .... dunno about BMW. Other two friends did the same thing for Mitsubishi Evo X.
Appreciate 0