BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

04-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
richardallen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Detailed but with Swirl Marks

Hey guys,

I sent my car for detailing. It took 4 days. And the guy who did it is one of the best around my area.

When i picked up the car, it look alright.

But when I looked at it in my garage, under Flourescent/whitish lighting, it shows swirl marks on the paint. It seems like its on the top layer and not the deeper layer - if it makes sense to you. Under sunlight it's ok.

According to the detailer its the soft paint used by BMW. However he's happy to redo it FOC.

Also it is because of Jerez black finish, it sometimes gives the whitish silvery look at certain angle at the car parks with flourescent light?

But what do you guys things?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Yes, BMWs have soft paint/clear coat, but that is no excuse for what sounds like a bad detail. Black is the hardest to get right, but again good technique will fix them.

Get your money back and go to another detailer that knows what they are doing. Post pics if you have them.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Yes, BMWs have soft paint/clear coat, but that is no excuse for what sounds like a bad detail. Black is the hardest to get right, but again good technique will fix them.

Get your money back and go to another detailer that knows what they are doing. Post pics if you have them.
No car should ever have swirl marks after a "detail". I can correct an entire car in under a day and make it look better than new, and yet this guy had your car for 4 days and the car still had swirls? You've got to find somebody new. Also, in regards to his "soft paint" comment: if anything, that should make the detail easier than something like a MB that has hard paint. Regardless, the difficulty of the paint in question is irrelevant when you pay someone to make your car 100% perfect. Here's a JB E92 M3 I did recently:

http://www.eclipse-motors.com/peterjbe90.html
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
richardallen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Its difficult to capture it on a camera.

Problem is you can't see the swirls straight on. It on certain angle. And you can't see it under sunlight either.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
No car should ever have swirl marks after a "detail". I can correct an entire car in under a day and make it look better than new, and yet this guy had your car for 4 days and the car still had swirls? You've got to find somebody new. Also, in regards to his "soft paint" comment: if anything, that should make the detail easier than something like a MB that has hard paint. Regardless, the difficulty of the paint in question is irrelevant when you pay someone to make your car 100% perfect. Here's a JB E92 M3 I did recently:

That's how black is done! Nice work.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:

Amazing work, great job. Did you have to remove some clear coat to get to that point? I heard different things from detailers.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertige View Post
Amazing work, great job. Did you have to remove some clear coat to get to that point? I heard different things from detailers.
You always remove a bit of clear to polish out swirls. The process is really leveling out the swirls with the rest of the paint. That's how everything seems to go away. Your paint starts with about 150 microns, and each "detail" takes away 1-2. So, you've really got nothing to fear if you have confidence in your detailers.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
jaydoc1
M3 Nirvana
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Regardless, the difficulty of the paint in question is irrelevant when you pay someone to make your car 100% perfect. Here's a JB E92 M3 I did recently:

Man I wish there was someone to detail like that in Colorado. Phenomenal!
BMW CCA #348254
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Quote:

Wow, nice work, but was this car brand new, or did you fix any stone chips?

I'm amazed at how flawless the front end of that hood/bumper looks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post

+1

Eric, when are you going to do a Toronto tour and do a group detailing?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertige View Post
Yes, whenever you polish, you remove a fraction of the clear coat, depending on how deep the scratches are. In the case of the car you saw in the previous link, very little clear was removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoc1 View Post
Man I wish there was someone to detail like that in Colorado. Phenomenal!
Thanks Jay, we're in the process of scheduling a Colorado tour.

Quote:

It had 1,500 miles if I remember correctly, not much use at all. No stone chips were fixed. And thank you, black cars show the greatest improvement when done correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
+1

Eric, when are you going to do a Toronto tour and do a group detailing?
Hey Nick, we're going to announce a world tour soon and details needed to get us to your location. I'm looking forward to going to Toronto, it's one of my favorite cities. I was there during the World Series way back when the Jays played the Twins.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
kmac1980
Major
Rep

Quote:

Hey Nick, we're going to announce a world tour soon and details needed to get us to your location. I'm looking forward to going to Toronto, it's one of my favorite cities. I was there during the World Series way back when the Jays played the Twins.

The Twins? you must mean the braves or philles (92 and 93) and the ALCS, oakland and chicago...

You should catch a game or two when you're here, the team is as good as it's been since those days. Halladay - best pitcher in the game.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
The Twins? you must mean the braves or philles (92 and 93) and the ALCS, oakland and chicago...

You should catch a game or two when you're here, the team is as good as it's been since those days. Halladay - best pitcher in the game.
lol my bad, I meant the Phillies. My memory isn't what it used to be. I'd love to catch a game when I'm there. BTW, Toronto is the cleanest city I've ever been in. Totally immaculate.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
kmac1980
Major
Rep

Quote:
lol my bad, I meant the Phillies. My memory isn't what it used to be. I'd love to catch a game when I'm there. BTW, Toronto is the cleanest city I've ever been in. Totally immaculate.
Are you serious? It's pretty clean, but I think Chicago is cleaner and better maintained. We have terrible roads here....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

I would have to say 4 days is definitely enough to make Jerez black look amazing!

I typically detail/polish cars out over 2 days. 10-15 hours.

I would ask for your money back or something.
Appreciate 0