BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #23
Akara1
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Ralf, I look forward to meeting you in L.A. For those of you interested in this exhaust, I can highly recommend Ralf as your source. Drop him a line if you need anything: info@krenzer-performance-parts.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
So the exhaust has a bronze/golden hint of color? I believe aworkx said over time it will become more of a golden color? If this is the case...it's one of the only reasons that would sway me from getting this exhaust.
In my experience with Akrapovic Titanium exhausts on my bikes, if they are properly maintained, the parts that are subjected to higher levels of heat will start to turn blue. If you leave finger prints on them, those parts will probably turn bronze. Best way to keep them clean is to wipe them down with a rag sprayed with some WD-40. As long as you do this, it should not turn bronze. Don't know how far you are from the L.A. area, but you can check mine out if you'd like to see it in person.

And mike, don't be afraid to be the odd one out. Most of the sportbike world pronounces it incorrectly...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #24
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akara1 View Post
In my experience with Akrapovic Titanium exhausts on my bikes, if they are properly maintained, the parts that are subjected to higher levels of heat will start to turn blue.
You can see in the below video that as the exhaust heats up the pipes turn blue (1 minute into the video).

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #25
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Do they sell the X-pipe separately? Will it fit other exhausts?
      04-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #26
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm not feeling those clamps around the tips...why don't they just weld them on?
      04-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #27
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Ralf, I look forward to meeting you in L.A. For those of you interested in this exhaust, I can highly recommend Ralf as your source. Drop him a line if you need anything: info@krenzer-performance-parts.com

In my experience with Akrapovic Titanium exhausts on my bikes, if they are properly maintained, the parts that are subjected to higher levels of heat will start to turn blue. If you leave finger prints on them, those parts will probably turn bronze. Best way to keep them clean is to wipe them down with a rag sprayed with some WD-40. As long as you do this, it should not turn bronze. Don't know how far you are from the L.A. area, but you can check mine out if you'd like to see it in person.

And mike, don't be afraid to be the odd one out. Most of the sportbike world pronounces it incorrectly...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #28
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
I'm not feeling those clamps around the tips...why don't they just weld them on?
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #29
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
So the tips can be adjust to fit either the E90 or the E92?
      04-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #30
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
So the tips can be adjust to fit either the E90 or the E92?
That is correct.

Quote:
No. Just the complete header back system or axle back system.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #31
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
That is a frequent question and that is the reason I was asking Akrapovic to offer this option. Unfortunately they are not willing to offer the header back part excluding the muffler, even they could sell a lot of them. Reason is, they do not want to support other manufacturer who are just offering axle back systems. The Akrapovic system is well designed and sophisticated, so that you can just chose between axle back or header back system. Here is a link of the construction manual:

http://shop.akrapovic.de/pdf/NAV-430...92,93)%20B.pdf

, so that you get an idea, why it is "normally" not possible to just go for the X-pipe. Page 9 shows the stock exhaust with clamps, page 21 shows the axle back with clamps how it goes to the Evolution X-pipe, page 22 shows the axle back with clamps and tube adapters how it goes to the stock X-pipe, page 25 shows how axle back and Evolution X-pipe are connected, page 26 shows how axle back and stock X-pipe are connected. So you will find out that tube adapter and Evolution X-pipe have the same diameter. That is the reason for not being able to just put it the other way around.
The only chance is to weld the tube adapter to the Evolution X-pipe.
So you will be able to use it
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #32
Akara1
Private
Rep

I installed my Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust system yesterday at Gintani and also did some before and after Dynos. The only mod to the car before the exhaust was an AA air filter. Overall, I am very happy with this exhaust. The sound is perfect for my taste, and the quality of the exhaust is amazing. Thanks to the guys at Gintani for their great work.

Here is the dyno chart:

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/caZ4QmHKXuQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/caZ4QmHKXuQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #33
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

sick gains
      04-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #34
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

What gear were you dynoing in? That was very short.
      04-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #35
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
I installed my Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust system yesterday at Gintani and also did some before and after Dynos. The only mod to the car before the exhaust was an AA air filter. Overall, I am very happy with this exhaust. The sound is perfect for my taste, and the quality of the exhaust is amazing. Thanks to the guys at Gintani for their great work.

Here is the dyno chart:

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/caZ4QmHKXuQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/caZ4QmHKXuQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Ara, congrats on that result! That is pretty much the same that we are used from our European customers: ~ 5% horsepower-gain and ~ 10% torque-gain matches the other results! I guess you are the first who dynoed the Akra in the US...

For all, who do not like the tips - I am in contact with Akrapovic for a special edition of the tips - like shown in the picture. But I need some feedback from you guys: info@krenzer-performance-parts.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #36
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the video! It's great to see the before and after result of the exhaust on a basically stock M3. What did the guys over at Gintani have to say about the exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkcaptain View Post
Ara, congrats on that result! That is pretty much the same that we are used from our European customers: ~ 5% horsepower-gain and ~ 10% torque-gain matches the other results! I guess you are the first who dynoed the Akra in the US...

For all, who do not like the tips - I am in contact with Akrapovic for a special edition of the tips - like shown in the picture. But I need some feedback from you guys: info@krenzer-performance-parts.com
I do like those tips better!
I assume they use the same style clamps on the bottom?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #37
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mora E46, Tanzanite G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewads View Post
I do like those tips better!
I assume they use the same style clamps on the bottom?
Those tips are 100mm vs. 90mm for the standard titanium. They could fit the exhaust, but it is my understanding that it would have to be slightly modified to make it fit. I would definately consider this option, but I don't know how difficult it would be to do this. Would the fact that the system is titanium present any challenges for a muffler shop?
      04-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #38
Akara1
Private
Rep

The guys at Gintani really liked the exhaust as well. I have to say though, if you like loud, their exhaust is absolutely amazing. The dyno runs were done in 4th gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #39
APEPerformance.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: E64 M6/E90 335xi

This exhaust is one of my favorites for the M3. With it being on the new GT4, it also shows what BMW thinks of it too
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #40
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mora E46, Tanzanite G20 M340i

Quote:
The guys at Gintani really liked the exhaust as well. I have to say though, if you like loud, their exhaust is absolutely amazing. The dyno runs were done in 4th gear.
Are you saying the Akra is loud, or the Gintani is loud?
      04-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #41
Akara1
Private
Rep

The Gintani full exhaust is the one I am referring to. The Akra is not too loud at all IMO. I posted a video of a dyno run with the full Gintani exhaust here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255635
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #42
BMW-Motorsport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2 Fast 4 You

I also got my header back system from Ralf. Very good job, it took just 4 days to receive it. I like the sound and even can feel the torque improvement, its just awesome...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #43
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

I really like those tips!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #44
Akara1
Private