BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

02-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #45
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up paying to upgrade to the 2 day school?
+1 Since Im flying all the way from CA, might as well upgrade to a 2 day event.

Im thinking of going as well after reading all these posts and comments! Can someone let me know what is the number to call to reserve a date again? Appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #46
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I was intending to go. I sent in all the paperwork and then was checking out the airfare. Guess what, it's like $500+ freaking A! Now I'm not sure if i'm going anymore. How much are you guys spending for airfare going from California??!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #47
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Yes especially at their cost on their dime!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #48
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

are these tickets transferrable at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #49
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
You don't get to keep the helmet do you?
Yes, at the 2-day school. They are very high-quality, genuine helmets with a BMW-custom paint/stripe scheme. They'd run several hundred dollars @ retail, without the BMW design ...

FWIW - the 2-day experience is much more valuable than simply the increase in price. Going back for a second day reinforces and cements the lessons learned from a prior day - you quickly get to the point where the habits, maneuvers, and reactions are instinctual and not just academic. The instructors firmly agree. Highly recommended.

You also get a bag for the helmet. And other things.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
You don't get to keep the helmet do you?

And I'm still confused if the guest gets to drive? I would think not.
The guests are allowed to drive their own cars as well. I hope we get to keep our helmets in the 1-day school. I was originally scheduled to attend in March, but I'm now attending the April 13th track day. We'll fly in on the 12th, track day on the 13th, and head home on the 14th.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #51
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

I'm passing on the free school. I have several years of track experience, and from other people's descriptions I think you could get just as much from a single day of autocross. I can see how the M school would be useful if you're just getting started. Even then, I wouldn't spend too much money on a plane ticket. Otherwise I think you're better off going to several autocross events and getting a lot more practice.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #52
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Lightbulb Upgrade to 2-day M-School???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-M3 View Post
I took delivery of my M3 at the end of Nov 2008. This entitled me to the one day m school. I figured if I am flying out to Spartenburg might as well upgrade to the 2 day school. Used the 20% BMWCCA discount to keep the price down.
The upgrade to 2-day school sounds enticing and practical. Was this possible by paying the difference from 1 to 2 day or what? Is this something BMW is open to with the complimentary offer? Anyone have insight on the process? I'd opt for this option since it seems a more efficient approach than making possibly two trips (airfare, time etc.)

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #53
SF-M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
The upgrade to 2-day school sounds enticing and practical. Was this possible by paying the difference from 1 to 2 day or what? Is this something BMW is open to with the complimentary offer? Anyone have insight on the process? I'd opt for this option since it seems a more efficient approach than making possibly two trips (airfare, time etc.)
Yes you can upgrade to the two day. They credit you the full price of the one day school towards the upgrade. If your a BMWCCA member they will then give you 20% off the remaining cost of the school. If your not join you will save way more than the cost to join.

You only get the helmet in the two day school. 1 day school no need to wear a helmet. We only wore helmets on the second day due to increased risk.

The helmet retails at the gift shop for $500 I am sure you can get a cheaper helmet elsewhere, but this one is cool!
You also get an M school jacket, polo shirt and cap and other schwag.

So if you deduct that from the cost to upgrade after the CCA discount, plus the extra night's stay, dinner lunch breakfast not to mention the fun and experience it's almost silly not to.

Or at least that's how I justified it...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #54
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Thumbs up 2-day M upgrade for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-M3 View Post
Yes you can upgrade to the two day. They credit you the full price of the one day school towards the upgrade.
Cool

I'm goin' for ths 2-day program!!!

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #55
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
I'm passing on the free school. I have several years of track experience, and from other people's descriptions I think you could get just as much from a single day of autocross. I can see how the M school would be useful if you're just getting started. Even then, I wouldn't spend too much money on a plane ticket. Otherwise I think you're better off going to several autocross events and getting a lot more practice.
I'm in the same boat. The 1 day school definitely doesn't seem worth the cross country trip. The 2 day school sounds like it might be a fun experience, but for the money I can do a lot of autox/track days around here, so I'm going to pass.
      02-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #56
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by attbimmer View Post
I'm in the same boat. The 1 day school definitely doesn't seem worth the cross country trip. The 2 day school sounds like it might be a fun experience, but for the money I can do a lot of autox/track days around here, so I'm going to pass.
I have never been to the BMW driving school but I have been in a number of situations where I was on a track with a professional coach. With all due respect to the BMWCCA and PCA track day instructors the professional instuctors at schools like the M school are just in a different league. There is a big difference between knowing how to do something and knowing how to teach someone else how to do something.

I can think of two other huge advantages to going to a high performance driving school.

1. Not your car
2. Not your tires.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #57
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

The free school has one huge advantage. You can take the spousal unit. It was the first time I ever got her into an HPDE situation. It's clearly HPDE light, but she emerged with a huge smile on her face, and for the first time gained an insight into why I find track time addictive.

Also, when they "demonstrated the advantages" of DSC, I told them I just wanted to turn it off and have some fun, and my instructor said OK. It was wonderful skidpad session in someone else's 335i.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #58
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Anyone doing the 2 day in April? I am coming down from Canada
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #59
gnatty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I didn't do the M school, but a few years ago one of our banks took us to the center in Greer to attend an all day driving event during which we drove the Z, 335, and X5 in a variety of situations.. At the end of the day they took volunteers out on the track in M3s but as passengers.. It was a blast, but obviously small on instruction and more on adrenaline..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #60
thooooorgal
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 = delivery feb 2008

Here in Europa, you have the possibility to follow a one day M program. It cost a little less than EUR 600 .... not too expensive, but ..... you have to take your OWN car !

Has anybody tried this program ? i find it really expensive considering it is my car, does it worth EUR 600 ?

Last edited by thooooorgal; 03-10-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #61
grizzy727
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3m, 20 XC90,18 JLU, 04 911

I just did the M performance FREE school on Monday- It was a blast and worth every free penny-yes airfare but they pay 2 nights breakfast/dinner and you can bring a friend/spouse. You dirve M3/M5/M6s and yes half of it is safety features ABS and DSC but you still do some driving skills and track the m3 m5 and m6 thru mini road courses.
It would be stupid to pay 65k+ for a car and get a driving day and pass it up cause you pay for airfare.
Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #62
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
+1

agree, just came back from the PC and it was all worth the time driving down there from DC. Its a must for M3 owners to full appreciate your new M. you leave there like a reborn man, pleased that you have a better understanding of your car capabilities and your new driving confidence

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236690
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #63
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

I'm going to the complimentry one-day event on April 13th. I'm driving there, not flying. The one lady with whom I spoke said they don't use helmets. She also said that you can sign up for the 2-day school instead, and the $1295(?) value of the 1-day school can be applied towards the cost. But to be honest, no 2-day school at VIR is worth the $3K+ they charge. You could sign-up for the top-notch MazdaDrivers.com event for about 1/4th that (shameless endorsemet )
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #64
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Hey guys - I bought my new M3 in Oct of '08 and did the SC performance center delivery - am I eligible for the 1 day m school?

How were you alerted - via letter? Is there a number I can call to check on my eligibility?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0