BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3

Have you bought China or Taiwan aftermarket parts?

I'm wondering who has bought any aftermarket CF parts or anything from China or Taiwan for the e92 M3 (like on Ebay)....does it look nice? Does it fit well or not fit well? What source did you order the parts from so we can all stay clear of bad dealers or if we can save a few bucks if something has worked out great for ya? I'm curious and please post pics of the parts so we all can see...be honest...if it didn't fit or if your iffy on how it looks on your car or quality of parts or CF weave, please note this! Lets not bash anyone who has wasted money and don't call anything junk or garbage...people take pride in their cars and what looks nice to some my not look nice to others...this is only to be informative! Thanks!
      04-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Its sort of like this...

Name:  RollBlanket.gif
Views: 3205
Size:  8.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Generally people say ZOMG don't buy from the CHINESES. But in reality....they turn out some decent looking stuff if you know what to buy. Plus they have badass return policies cause they get raped with eBay fines if you don't leave them 5 stars...probably have better customer service than some of the America based vendors lol.

I bought my front and rear carbon fiber splitter and diffuser from a guy that imports from China...so basically yea I got Chinese CF parts on my car. Could probably cut out the middle man next time. They fit really well and the weave is basically perfect.

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
The prices definitely tempt you... And I won't lie I have bought a few pieces from eBay/ chinese vendors. Not horrible quality but to be honest none of them made it on my car in the end. Felt/looks cheap putting some of the parts on the car. Unfortunately I learned the hard way and had to buy things twice. I think many people have shared similar experiences. Some can really diminish the look and you can definitely tell the difference between the "real" stuff and the "fake" stuff. In the end you get exactly what ou pay for...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3 View Post
The prices definitely tempt you... And I won't lie I have bought a few pieces from eBay/ chinese vendors. Not horrible quality but to be honest none of them made it on my car in the end. Felt/looks cheap putting some of the parts on the car. Unfortunately I learned the hard way and had to buy things twice. I think many people have shared similar experiences. Some can really diminish the look and you can definitely tell the difference between the "real" stuff and the "fake" stuff. In the end you get exactly what ou pay for...
What parts exactly? I'm looking at things like simple splitters or front lips or the CF mirror covers...you know, small things...the hood and trunk I would never buy from overseas. But yeah, prices are very tempting and they always look nice in the pics they advertise...which Im sure is never the real part just a stolen pic of the real thing. I don't mind spending the extra money but if I don't need to on certain parts I won't. I havent dipped into buying any CF for any of my cars yet...once you go CF you have to make the car match IMO. But the Sparkling Graphite is the perfect color for CF additions. I know CF depends on the weave and how many layers...some knock offs do it in plastic with a single layer of CF for "the look"...this is what Im trying to avoid. its just hard for me to justify paying like $1200 for a stupid front lip that will have no functional value if I can find one thats a few hundred with the same or near the same, quality build...thanks for the input!
      04-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
I bought a hamman style front spoiler, cf mirror caps, and a few others. The hamman style piece wasn't horrible look wise but the construction you could definitely tell the difference. I didn't like the overall look so I just never put it on. Still sitting in storage. I bought the cf mirror caps (the eBay ones and totally regret it). Just completely not what I was expecting. Knew they were overlays before i ordered but the pics were a bit deceiving online versus what they were. Still have them if you're interested in a spectacular deal. Pretty much decided just to never buy anything that wasn't the "real" deal after that. Unless you can see it in person I would advise the same to you as well...but that's often the biggest problem. They really don't want you to see this stuff before you buy it. It's all personal preference though... I just decided I spent a ton of money on my dream car and didn't want to cheapen the car by putting on cheap parts regardless of how good they looked. Good luck modding... It's addicting and a ton of fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bought a hamman style front spoiler, cf mirror caps, and a few others. The hamman style piece wasn't horrible look wise but the construction you could definitely tell the difference. I didn't like the overall look so I just never put it on. Still sitting in storage. I bought the cf mirror caps (the eBay ones and totally regret it). Just completely not what I was expecting. Knew they were overlays before i ordered but the pics were a bit deceiving online versus what they were. Still have them if you're interested in a spectacular deal. Pretty much decided just to never buy anything that wasn't the "real" deal after that. Unless you can see it in person I would advise the same to you as well...but that's often the biggest problem. They really don't want you to see this stuff before you buy it. It's all personal preference though... I just decided I spent a ton of money on my dream car and didn't want to cheapen the car by putting on cheap parts regardless of how good they looked. Good luck modding... It's addicting and a ton of fun.
So these Mirror caps, are they supposed to be replacements for the plastic or just cover? Even at reputable places I see them as being covers or caps...I have seen straight CF mirrors though. But I'm like you, I spent a ton of money on my dream car but do not want to cheapen it up or "rice" it up. Thats why im trying to get opinions. I seen the cf caps for like $700 over $100 on ebay...so its the price difference like that that makes me question....is this stuff really that bad or not...I guess its just that bad. So I'll start with modest mods first...Im doing the angel eye bright white upgrade...hard to go wrong with bulbs and ballast. I still paid double over what i would on ebay but only $100 for essentially the same thing...in fact, I think it is the same thing. But even the higher priced ones, the pics look identical....thats why I'm trying to get opinions on whats decent or not. Thanks a bunch....you've really turned me off on looking on ebay....but thats for the better. I can afford the expensive parts but damn...they are expensive...I know that sounds crazy since I can afford the car... but who doesn't like a deal? I guess I'll have to start searching for some decent companies....I know Active Autowerks, BMP Design, Dinan, Hamman, and Turner Motorsports are decent places but those are the companies with the BMW tax....myabe when the F30 models come out the e92 part prices will drop a bit...I hope anyways
      04-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Generally people say ZOMG don't buy from the CHINESES. But in reality....they turn out some decent looking stuff if you know what to buy. Plus they have badass return policies cause they get raped with eBay fines if you don't leave them 5 stars...probably have better customer service than some of the America based vendors lol.

I bought my front and rear carbon fiber splitter and diffuser from a guy that imports from China...so basically yea I got Chinese CF parts on my car. Could probably cut out the middle man next time. They fit really well and the weave is basically perfect.
Hey Krozi any way you can get some pics up? I'd really like to check out your ride and can you supply the actual ebay member or ebay store you got yours from?
      04-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Its sort of like this...

Attachment 675032
I'm much better at blackjack then dice games
      04-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
For the cf mirror caps you want replacement parts or replacement caps... Don't get overlays. The $100 ones are probably overlays. That's what I got originally then dropped the dough for the BMW replacements. They are completely different products... And well worth the extra dough. What area are you in? If you want to see the overlays I will happily show them to you if your local and pretty much give em to you for nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Fusion View Post
So these Mirror caps, are they supposed to be replacements for the plastic or just cover? Even at reputable places I see them as being covers or caps...I have seen straight CF mirrors though. But I'm like you, I spent a ton of money on my dream car but do not want to cheapen it up or "rice" it up. Thats why im trying to get opinions. I seen the cf caps for like $700 over $100 on ebay...so its the price difference like that that makes me question....is this stuff really that bad or not...I guess its just that bad. So I'll start with modest mods first...Im doing the angel eye bright white upgrade...hard to go wrong with bulbs and ballast. I still paid double over what i would on ebay but only $100 for essentially the same thing...in fact, I think it is the same thing. But even the higher priced ones, the pics look identical....thats why I'm trying to get opinions on whats decent or not. Thanks a bunch....you've really turned me off on looking on ebay....but thats for the better. I can afford the expensive parts but damn...they are expensive...I know that sounds crazy since I can afford the car... but who doesn't like a deal? I guess I'll have to start searching for some decent companies....I know Active Autowerks, BMP Design, Dinan, Hamman, and Turner Motorsports are decent places but those are the companies with the BMW tax....myabe when the F30 models come out the e92 part prices will drop a bit...I hope anyways
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
Magnetic Fusion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For the cf mirror caps you want replacement parts or replacement caps... Don't get overlays. The $100 ones are probably overlays. That's what I got originally then dropped the dough for the BMW replacements. They are completely different products... And well worth the extra dough. What area are you in? If you want to see the overlays I will happily show them to you if your local and pretty much give em to you for nothing...
Ok I got it now...which would explain the difference in cost. I'd prefer the the replacement caps not overlays. I wasnt sure if that was the case or not. now I know and I was thinking that the overlays wouldn't fit right and look gaudy on the mirror itself...not what I'm looking for. I live in Phoenix but travel for work and in the Austin area so not close at all to LA. But thanks for the offer but I'll take your advice and stay clear of the overlays. I want that factory look. Do you have a pic of your mirrors with the replacement caps and one with the overlays? I really want to see the replacement caps and how they look...I bet real nice.
      04-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #12
Terraforce1
If you ain't first, you're last!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: '14 Boxster GTS + 14' 1199 S

Probably half of the things you have purchased from stores were made in China. So as mentioned above, take a gamble, cut the middle man out and order it. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraforce1 View Post
Probably half of the things you have purchased from stores were made in China. So as mentioned above, take a gamble, cut the middle man out and order it. Good luck
took the words out of my mouth; welcome to 2012; everything you use is probaly China Made
Appreciate 0