BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

10-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
VW/Porsche what to expect?

With Volkswagen acquiring Porsche instead of it being the other way round, where does that leave all brands involved and how will this effect the products in the future and ultimately the competition.

The latest talk is Porsche releasing the Panamera and 997 platforms to the rest of the group, we know that Audi and Porsche have had ties in the past and will probably be the most likely pairing but to what level?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

First there was this rumor: http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/08/...-takeover.html

And now this news: http://www.carfront.com/category/european/porsche/
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Why would VW ever axe the highly profitable Cayenne? I don't particularly like it but it's not like the Cayenne really competes with any other model in the VW Group and from what I hear the margins are outrageously good. Does VW have a problem with making money?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
The Cayenne was never on the cards of being dropped, though the Panamera's platform needs to be used in bigger quantities to be profittable. Volkswagen are probably the best company of all to get the best value out of a platform but with Porsche developed products they will have to pick and chose wisely, otherwise they will down grade Porsche themselves.

I see Porsche working very closely with Bentley, Audi and possibly to a least extent Lamborghini. I only hope that Porsche don't do a hatchback of something, the smallest car they need do is a sportscar but other than that a 5 series size should be the minimum.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

So a Volkwagon beetle and 911 Carrera are going to be on the same chassis ?
      10-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
So a Volkwagon beetle and 911 Carrera are going to be on the same chassis ?
Oh just like old times... lol

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

What I don't get is how they're going to put that tinny sounding 2.0L Audi turbo engine in the Boxster.

I mean how can you have a Boxster without a boxer engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
What I don't get is how they're going to put that tinny sounding 2.0L Audi turbo engine in the Boxster.

You can't. The name implies it. "Box"er road"ster."
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
You can't. The name implies it. "Box"er road"ster."
Well if the rumors are true then VW don't give a shit.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Quote:
Seven new Porsches - full details
Quote:
SOURCE
Panamera V6 and diesel 2010

Porsche will launch V6 petrol and V6 diesel versions of the Panamera towards the end of next year. It’s unlikely that either model will get four-wheel drive since these versions are designed to be cheaper, entry-level models and, in the case of the diesel, pretty frugal.

With the next-generation Cayenne also not far from the showroom, there’s a good chance that these engines will be updated, if not significantly re-engineered, versions of the units seen in today’s Cayenne.

The Panamera petrol and diesel V6s will make the car far more affordable than the V8s, but this doesn’t mean they will be all that cheap. In the Cayenne, swapping from eight to six cylinders saves about £10,000. If the Panamera follows that pattern, it would mean a starting price of just over £60,000.

New Cayenne - 2010

Next year’s Cayenne will have a much more curvaceous and fluid exterior, to bring it further into line with the design language used on the 911. The bonnet is 911-shaped, tapering to a narrow opening between the redesigned headlights. Wrap-around lozenge-shaped tail lights also give the Cayenne a hint of 911 
at the rear. Under the skin, the biggest changes will be the reworked direct-injection V8 engines first seen in the Panamera.

Cayenne Hybrid - 2011

Porsche is in desperate need of a hybrid for the Cayenne range, and although this model was signed off last year, it is not expected to go on sale until 2011. The company says the car will use a “full parallel hybrid system”, and there will be the option of running the vehicle for a short distance in ‘zero emissions’ mode. Porsche is claiming economy improvements of up to 30 per cent, and impressive performance when both the engine and electric motor are propelling the Cayenne.

Panamera Hybrid - 2011

The Panamera hybrid will be one of the most important versions of the super-saloon, but it won’t be cheap. Porsche can use the same sophisticated transmission in the Panamera as it does in the Cayenne hybrid (which combines an automatic ’box and electric motors), but the installation will be quite different.

The Panamera hybrid is unlikely to have four-wheel drive. This is partly for reasons of economy, but also because it has a very different four-wheel drive system from the big SUV. The 4WD Panamera not only uses a Haldex clutch mounted on the rear of the transmission housing, but also directs power forward to a driveshaft system that runs through the engine’s sump.

Although a V8 hybrid might be more appealing to the US, a more efficient V6 hybrid would suit Europe better.

New 911 - 2012

The next Porsche 911, due in summer 2012, will be an all-new model. Porsche is not prepared to take any revolutionary steps with the styling, so while it might look similar to the current 911 don’t be fooled; nearly every panel on this 911 coupé and cabrio will be new. The car will be slightly longer (almost 4500mm across the range) and wider (around 1860mm on the base Carrera and 25mm extra on the Turbo). These alterations are down to a modified steel floorpan, which has a wheelbase extended by 50mm to 2400mm, and new suspension.

Rockster/ Small SUV - 2013

A few years ago, Porsche was seriously investigating building a small SUV to slot in below the Cayenne. One of the full-sized concept models was a three-door “off-road coupe” that had strong 911 styling cues.

Autocar had the design study confirmed by one of highest-ranking Porsche bosses, although he would not comment on the position of the engine, mainly because the styling had strong mid-engine overtones.

However, it has subsequently come to light that Porsche’s engineering arm was working on the body engineering of the new Audi Q5 SUV. It’s likely that this was the donor car, but co-operation is said to have been pulled by the then-Audi boss, Martin Winterkorn.

Latest reports say that now Porsche is part of VW, and VW is headed by Winterkorn, the Q5 could be used as the basis for a baby Cayenne.

Just as the new 356 could allow the Boxster to move upmarket, so the arrival of a Porsche Rockster small SUV could allow the Cayenne to do the same and make the big SUV more profitable.

928 cabrio and coupe - 2013

Having put a substantial amount 
of money into the almost entirely 
all-new Panamera model, Porsche will be keen to recoup some of its costs. The best way to do this would be a coupé and a cabrio to take on cars like the Bentley Continental GT and Maserati GranTurismo/GranCabrio. One senior company source has already told Autocar that a large three-door, in the spirit of the 928, would be a “very nice” addition to the line-up, although nothing has been signed off. In any case, it is understood that a cabrio version would be first to arrive, in 2013.

2012 Porsche 356
I really hope there is no legitamacy to this...

Porsche developing its own Golf-based entry model?
Posted Jun 6th 2008 10:31AM by Dan Roth
Filed under: Hatchbacks, Porsche, Volkswagen, Rendered Speculation

If Porsches are good, more Porsches are better, especially if it means Stuttgart's model range will expand downward. Rumors are swirling that Porsche is working on its own version of Volkswagen's Golf/Rabbit, which may be an opening salvo in a Porsche assault on BMW's slice of the pie with its 1 Series. An über-bunny above the R32 is certainly appealing, but we hope the styling smoothes some from from the melty rendering. There's potential there, but it could turn ugly fast like the Panamera four-door "coupe". Auto Bild is usually pretty close to the mark, however, so it wouldn't be surprising to see this very vehicle sometime around 2012. We're going to guess that most people will just see its taillights.

Bringing the 928 back would be cool, the rendering looks great.
There is also the smaller convertible to slide under the Boxster using the Golf/A3 platform.

Those two are the only things i look forward too.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep

A Porsche Golf...what has the world come to.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Sacrilege or not that 928/Pan coupe is going to be sweet. Heard rumors. Thanks for the press clip.

Sorry S.paws. I know that it may irk you as a flat 6 purist guy.

Last edited by gonzo; 10-29-2009 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A Porsche Golf...what has the world come to.
MONEY/Bottom line. One day when all of us on here are dead there could be a WalMart of automobiles. The gorillas will buy the monkeys out.

Some more shots of the hatch. I like it. I have a soft spot for hatches.
Attached Images

10-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I would love a 928/Pan coupe if it looks like that silver picture. Looks very Ferrari like from the front.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Here is a rendering of the vert.
Attached Images

10-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Oh just like old times... lol
lol...I certainly hope not because I have a soft spot for 911.
      10-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

No I think you will find that this smaller sportscar below the Boxster will indeed have a boxer engine, only this time it will have 4 not 6 cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

More 928/Pan pics.

If this stays close to real life it will be a huge hit IMO. The coupe even looks good in a gold hue!

Pics of the vert with the top up will be interesting with the longish frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by gonzo; 10-30-2009 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
The car does look good, but is that because it's remarkably similar to a 599 at the front and side (excluding the lights of course) and even more similar to an Aston Martin at the back.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

True. That is why I love it. GT silber with dark burgundy leather would suit me fine/if offered.

Designers are going to lean into each others lines no matter. I mean how many "new" designs are really left to be had. Sure they could flail out some monstrosity and be different but no one will buy it...well, a few would.
      10-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #21
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
True. That is why I love it. GT silber with dark burgundy leather would suit me fine/if offered.

Designers are going to lean into each others lines no matter. I mean how many "new" designs are really left to be had. Sure they could flail out some monstrosity and be different but no one will buy it...well, a few would.
I agree completely with you here, there's only reworks of designed gone by. If it did end up looking like this then I would possibly consider a V8 model.

But only if it had AWD. (j/k)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The TT version (awd) 928 with the paddle option would more than suffice your needs, as well as mine.

You can now get away from those silly buttons (2010 TT).
Attached Images