BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

04-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I almost picked up a Gallardo. I was pleased with performance but the interior was not so great for a car of this caliber. Only flaw for me.

I ended up not getting it because I had to move to a state where it snows like 30 inches in a day so reality for me was I needed an AWD so went with an E92 M3 and E70 X5. Sometimes I wish I was still in Oregon, I would have an R8 V10 or Gallardo right now but honestly I am ok with an M3 and X5 and I am retiring in my 30s so its all good! No more work for me!

Thanks TTBear for your insight here. So what would the major differences be if I went with a 2011 or 2012 Gallardo VS an 08 or 09? Cosmetic?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #24
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
I almost picked up a Gallardo. I was pleased with performance but the interior was not so great for a car of this caliber. Only flaw for me.

I ended up not getting it because I had to move to a state where it snows like 30 inches in a day so reality for me was I needed an AWD so went with an E92 M3 and E70 X5. Sometimes I wish I was still in Oregon, I would have an R8 V10 or Gallardo right now but honestly I am ok with an M3 and X5 and I am retiring in my 30s so its all good! No more work for me!

Thanks TTBear for your insight here. So what would the major differences be if I went with a 2011 or 2012 Gallardo VS an 08 or 09? Cosmetic?
You're VERY welcome!

I was in the same boat as you - we live in Canada, and this year, we broke records for snowfall Ugh. To be honest, though, if your heart is set on a Gallardo, go with it. I can drive the Lambo perhaps seven months out of the year, but in those seven months, I am grinning like a baboon in heat, LOL. In the winter, I drive an X6M (which funnily has very slightly MORE hp than the LP560....), which does quite nicely until spring breaks through
There are very few differences between model years 2009/2010/2011/2012. In 2009, they introduced the LP560, a major upgrade, which meant a hp upgrade (many would say it is underrated from the factory, and this would seem to be borne out by the supposedly "faster" cars that the LP560 takes down in head-to-head acceleration runs). There was also a cosmetic upgrade in 2009 - new headlights, front and rear bumpers quad exhausts instead of dual exhaust tips. I believe the interior more or less stayed the same (some switchgear changed, minimally). The egear transmission has been undergoing a continual transition, such that the most recent iteration from 2009 to present, is actually excellent, especially considering it is still a single clutch tranny. Remember the e46 M3's single-clutch SMG transmission? It sucked shwanger. The most recent egear is very tractable, and in "Corsa" mode, it is electric.
The 2008 models and the ones prior to that were barely faster than an e9X M3, if at all, whereas the new LP560 would tear the M3 a new a**hole any day of the week. Road and track has it at something like 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, 0-100 in 6.9, 1/4 in 11.2, at 129.5mph, I believe. That's pretty fast.

If you have the slightest inclination towards an LP560, do it. I was hesitant at first, but now, even though for almost half the year I can only sit and look at it, sitting up on the storage lift in the garage instead of driving it, I consider it the best automotive thing I have ever done!!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited by TTBear; 04-11-2013 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0