BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

04-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #89
Greenspotpop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Manual M3 and Manual Gallardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
so does anyone know why my drive only works for like 30secs to 1 min and then stops and then starts again? This is on the corsair that you guys reccomended? Any thoughts?
Errr, on MY BMW, it works perfectly, 16G Corsair......

reads all subfolders. I dont do Playlists. But I can play songs

*on a side note for all veterans: CAN I LEAVE THE CORSAIR (FLASHDRIVE) PLUGGED INTO THE USB CONNECTOR IN THE BMW, WITHOUTH DRAINING THE BATTERY/BMW ? Once the power is off, the power is OFF right? If I leave the flash drive plugged in, will it turn on/suck power from the CORSAIR?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #90
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriFix View Post
If you want a bit more storage space, this might be a viable option:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10984

It is a 60GB USB powered hard drive with a rotational speed of 3400rpm. In Australia it costs about AUD$170, which compares well with the 32GB Corsair Voyager (AUD$370) ie: less than 1/4 of the cost per GB.

I have one on order and will post report once I've installed it, but I am reasonably confident it will work after reading this:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...dpost&p=517162
The drive in the link posted has a rotational speed of 5400 rpm. Is this the same drive or does the one you are using have a rotational speed of 3400 rpm?

I found a 60GB LeCie on Amazon with a rotational speed of 3600 rpm? Is that the one you have?

I also found a 160GB with a 5400 rotational speed for less money if 5400 rpm works.

Little help from Mr. Guinea Pig if he'll be so kind?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #91
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
The drive in the link posted has a rotational speed of 5400 rpm. Is this the same drive or does the one you are using have a rotational speed of 3400 rpm?

I found a 60GB LeCie on Amazon with a rotational speed of 3600 rpm? Is that the one you have?

I also found a 160GB with a 5400 rotational speed for less money if 5400 rpm works.

Little help from Mr. Guinea Pig if he'll be so kind?
The Amazon link you gave for the Lacie HDD is the same one GeriFix linked from Lacie's official website. You can tell by the part number. I think that 5400 rpm spec on Lacie's website is a typo.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #92
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
The Amazon link you gave for the Lacie HDD is the same one GeriFix linked from Lacie's official website. You can tell by the part number. I think that 5400 rpm spec on Lacie's website is a typo.
I hope it's a typo!! That is the correct link, but I'm sure when I posted it originally it stated 3600rpm. It is possible they have changed the disk inside (which, I think, is sourced from Seagate).

It is still possible that a 1.8" hard drive running at 5400rpm may not excede the power/voltage available from the USB port in the car. From most peoples experience though, the 2.5" drives that run at 5400rpm don't work. The BMW USB port lives in a strange backward world where slower is actually better

Yep, jm1234, that Amazon link is to the same disk that I have.
      05-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #93
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I hope it's a typo!! That is the correct link, but I'm sure when I posted it originally it stated 3600rpm. It is possible they have changed the disk inside (which, I think, is sourced from Seagate).

It is still possible that a 1.8" hard drive running at 5400rpm may not excede the power/voltage available from the USB port in the car. From most peoples experience though, the 2.5" drives that run at 5400rpm don't work. The BMW USB port lives in a strange backward world where slower is actually better

Yep, jm1234, that Amazon link is to the same disk that I have.
Amazon says 3600, your original post said 3400 so I wasn't sure if that was the real number or 5400 was or the Amazon figure. Sounds like 3600 is the correct one and that matches Amazon so thank you.

The larger drives spin at 5400. The only reason I would get them is because they are cheaper. It will be a few decades before I need more than 60GB so I'll get the 60GB drive and stop trying to be so cheap.

Do you ever have skipping issues with the drive? How about if you open and close the center console. That is the only concern I would have going this route rather than the flash drive route. The bigger drive means I don't have to down sample the music to make it fit and that's a huge plus to me but I would like to know if you've ever had skipping with the hard drive!

And thanks so much for helping.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #94
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
You're not losing your mind b/c I went on their website a few weeks ago & it did say 3600rpm back then.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #95
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Amazon says 3600, your original post said 3400 so I wasn't sure if that was the real number or 5400 was or the Amazon figure. Sounds like 3600 is the correct one and that matches Amazon so thank you.

The larger drives spin at 5400. The only reason I would get them is because they are cheaper. It will be a few decades before I need more than 60GB so I'll get the 60GB drive and stop trying to be so cheap.

Do you ever have skipping issues with the drive? How about if you open and close the center console. That is the only concern I would have going this route rather than the flash drive route. The bigger drive means I don't have to down sample the music to make it fit and that's a huge plus to me but I would like to know if you've ever had skipping with the hard drive!

Hoiw much is this drive? Seems like the 32Gb Corsair Voyager flash drive might be less hassle, and is certainly smaller. I've seen it for $130 recently after rebate.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #96
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Hoiw much is this drive? Seems like the 32Gb Corsair Voyager flash drive might be less hassle, and is certainly smaller. I've seen it for $130 recently after rebate.
Which drive?...The Lacie 60gb HDD? If yes then I've seen it as low as $110 shipped.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #97
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
Which drive?...The Lacie 60gb HDD? If yes then I've seen it as low as $110 shipped.
Yes, just seems the flash drive has plenty of capacity and not rpm issues or moving parts to break.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #98
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Yes, just seems the flash drive has plenty of capacity and not rpm issues or moving parts to break.
It would make sense but I'm more concerned w/whichever can withstand Texas summer heat & humidity the best since I sometimes park outside just depending on where I am that day.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #99
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Amazon says 3600, your original post said 3400 so I wasn't sure if that was the real number <snip>
That was probably also a typo on my part

Quote:

I've had no problems with skipping ... and the center console arm rest has a cushioned close, so the drive doesn't really get much of a shake. The center console also has a ventilation outlet in it which can help keep the drive cool in summer.
      05-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #100
rvacha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had some "skipping" but not the type you are thinking. Perhaps once a week the first song or two played will periodically pause for a few seconds, play for a few, pause, etc. After a few minutes it plays normally. It is definitely not the HDD "skipping" since it doesn't need to be moving, vibrating, etc for this to happen. I think what it is is iDrive trying to re-index all the music on the drive while also trying to read the current song data off the drive. ALL of my music is WMA Lossless so file sizes are very large and the HDD therefore has to spew lots of data during song play. The HDD is probably so slow that it can't do both indexing and playing at the same time. Once it is done with this gyration it plays flawlessly regardless of temperature or roughness of the road

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #101
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarriga View Post
So, I got the Corsair in 8gb @ Frys today, but I'm having a small issue. I downloaded all the music onto it fine, and it sounds great, when it works...

Every once in a while the music just stops and the system kicks me out to the radio (or CD, whatever I was listening to previously). It works again once I un-plug and re-insert. Without un-plugging the AUX menu doesn't recognize the drive.

I figure it might be that the cable was a bit loose, but it does the same thing direct also. Anyone have an idea of whats going on?
I had the same issue but on a 16GB. I had to go back and remove all the ID tags, Album arts, and all other stuff. I just left the artist and title. This can be done through winamp but if you have a lot of songs then you may need another software to do it quicker. Mine works perfectly now, no skips.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #102
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

In newegg.com they are selling a 16GB model for 59.99 (after rebate), but says with 256 AES encryption.

Will this work?

Thanks for the help (my car is already at the dealer and I'm getting prepared!)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #103
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellere View Post
Stick your USB drive into a port, start windows media player, goto settings (tools->options->burn->data discs->add a list of all burned files in this format) and change the default playlist type to .m3u (click OK), click on "library", select "create playlist" on the menu on the left, then just browse the folders on your USB drive and drag files into the "Drag items here" pane on windows media player. When you've finished click on "save playlist". The playlist will be saved to <user name>/Music/Playlists. Go there, find the playlist (make sure it has been saved as a .m3u file) you have created and copy it to the root directory of your USB drive. Done.

Thanks to GeriFix for the above insight.
I am trying to figure out how to make my playlist etc.

Do I put my CDs on my computer so I can sync with my USB drive? Do I have a home file of all my songs on my computer (download my CDs) and then put what I want on the portable?

-

I figured out how to select the bit rate to code my songs, I went with highest variable rate (not loss-less recording) but just below that.

I have a few CDs on my stick and I plugged it into my USB and my car 'sees' the songs but doesn't play. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by rai; 06-25-2008 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #104
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep

32 GB Corsair Voyager Flashdrive works fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #105
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Finally decided to go w/the Corsair Voyager 16gb. I figured it's going to take me awhile to fill it up since I currently have only 8 gb of music. Bought it at Fry's for same price after rebate ($45) as Newegg. I loaded 1.5 gb & no issues whatsoever. Keep in mind this is summertime...IN TEXAS HEAT & HUMIDITY!

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #106
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I was using my wife's old 30gb iPod but got tired of the HD noise thanks to the D->A->D->A conversion as noted previously. I bought a 16 gb Corsair Survivor flash drive (same price after rebate as Voyager, cool metal case!) from Newegg. I still use iTunes to organize everything as I have a ton of music rated, etc. I found a little program called iTunesExport that will export playlists and copy the associated songs to a directory (or flash drive!) of choice. Since I have 30gb of music but only really listen to about 6gb or so of it (4 and 5 star rated) I have it copy only the My Top Rated playlist plus a few custom playlists. I had to go to Amazon and re-purchase some songs given the flash drive won't play protected AAC. It might be placebo effect but I feel the treble sounds are a bit less artificial now with only one conversion instead of 3. No HD noise either. The unexpected bonus was that the flash drive fits much easier into the armrest underside pocket, making that storage space a bit more useful. The car likes to report "Album Artist" rather than Artist in details so had to go edit that in iTunes; now I am trying to clear the car's cache as it still reports several songs that I fixed as "Various Artists" instead of the actual track name.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #107
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I was using my wife's old 30gb iPod but got tired of the HD noise thanks to the D->A->D->A conversion as noted previously. I bought a 16 gb Corsair Survivor flash drive (same price after rebate as Voyager, cool metal case!) from Newegg. I still use iTunes to organize everything as I have a ton of music rated, etc. I found a little program called iTunesExport that will export playlists and copy the associated songs to a directory (or flash drive!) of choice. Since I have 30gb of music but only really listen to about 6gb or so of it (4 and 5 star rated) I have it copy only the My Top Rated playlist plus a few custom playlists. I had to go to Amazon and re-purchase some songs given the flash drive won't play protected AAC. It might be placebo effect but I feel the treble sounds are a bit less artificial now with only one conversion instead of 3. No HD noise either. The unexpected bonus was that the flash drive fits much easier into the armrest underside pocket, making that storage space a bit more useful. The car likes to report "Album Artist" rather than Artist in details so had to go edit that in iTunes; now I am trying to clear the car's cache as it still reports several songs that I fixed as "Various Artists" instead of the actual track name.
Thanks for the ideas and info!

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #108
msp_guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 545i, soon 2008 535xi

I have a 2008 535xi on order, to delivered before the end of this month. I've been reading this and other forums to get an idea of the different flash drives & how they work, organize tunes, etc.

I've found a handy (free) app for Macs that lets's you see the itunes libraries and copy them just as you were browsing through the hard drive. This makes it easy to keep a playlist going/building in itunes and then just copying over that playlist of tracks very easily to the flash drive. If you're on a Mac, the program is called iTunesFS and very slick & straight forward. I'm sure there are others for the PC users.

Also, my main concern about using a flash drive or memory stick is the size of the stick. On the 5 series, the USB port is on the side (vertical) wall of the interior console. It's the front wall, towards the gear shifter. So plugging a stick into that port basically means the stick will protrude and block access to the rest of the storage box. Fine if you're using a USB cable or the ipod adapter to the ipod, but not so good for some of the sticks that are 2.5-3.5 inches long. So I found the following and will be ordering it today, just in time for my new car to arrive.

They're a little more expensive (not terrible), but appear to be MUCH smaller, solid metal, etc. I'm getting the silver Pico C, which is the smallest. And 8GB is enough for me. If I really need more than that, I can get a second one. Or, by that time, they may have a 16GB version.

Has anybody else seen/used one of these? Or has anybody found a smaller physical device with at least 8gb of storage?

http://www.supertalent.com/products/...php?type=Pico#
(click on the data sheet link on that page to see a picture of the device side by side with a quarter - amazingly small!)

Newegg has it for $29.99, free shipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #109
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Thanks for all the info guys. Just ordered the 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager from Newegg. For $35 after rebate/promo code, figured it was a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #110
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

What file systems are you guys using? NTFS or FAT32?