BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Will my Porsche battery maintainer work?

I wil be storing my e92 this winter.

Anybody know if my old Porsche battery maintainer will safely maintain my M3 battery over the winter? One end of it plugs into a wall outlet, and the other end into the cigarette lighter.
      10-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
I wil be storing my e92 this winter.

Anybody know if my old Porsche battery maintainer will safely maintain my M3 battery over the winter? One end of it plugs into a wall outlet, and the other end into the cigarette lighter.
It should. You'll need add an always hot lighter plug in the trunk or buy an adaptor (lighter plug to alligator clips). I think I got it at Radio Shack, but I may have found it online. It works fine. I've been using it to connect to the jumper connection points under the hood. I just found this adaptor at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Batter...ref=pd_sbs_t_1 and at Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=3889591#

You should find this thread useful: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=deltran
      10-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Nuge Design
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW CP

Hey, FWIW, according to my SA, if you have a trickle charger, I can't remember if it has to be a BMW TC or if any TC will suffice (I'm thinking it's the latter), as long as you have a receipt, BMW will cover the cost of our $400+ battery should it fail in a storage (low miles per year) situation like ours. With all the electronic doo dads on these cars, if not driven enough, it can lead to premature failure of said battery and it won't be covered under BMW's warranty. Again, according to my SA.

I was made aware of this while waiting for a service. I overheard my SA speaking with another customer who had a battery that wouldn't hold charge... due to infrequent driving. Even if you drive it everyday on short jaunts, it may not be enough to provide adequate charge to the battery. I think he recommended that it had to be driven around 50 miles every so often to produce a good charge. Don't quote me on the number of miles. Ask your SA.

Sounds like you may already be aware of proper battery conditioning... I'm just sayin', make sure you have a receipt for your TC to ensure BMW warranty coverage of your freakin' $400 battery.

nuge
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Thanks - I'll do some reading...