BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

02-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Roby84m
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3 E92 ZCP

Self service car wash question!!!

Would you guys use the wax option in self service car wash? I saw it at Rubber Duck car wash and I was hesitant to select that option. Any other suggestions about those self service car washes? Am I ruining the paint with the high pressured water along with chemicals? I searched the forum but I couldn't find any satisfying answers.

I went to the rubber duck car wash web site

http://www.rubberduckcarwash.com/instruct_ss.html

It says... Wax - high pressure hot wax
Switch to wax, wax entire vehicle including windows from top down.

Thanks

Rob.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
Would you guys use the wax option in self service car wash? I saw it at Rubber Duck car wash and I was hesitant to select that option. Any other suggestions about those self service car washes? Am I ruining the paint with the high pressured water along with chemicals? I searched the forum but I couldn't find any satisfying answers.

I went to the rubber duck car wash web site

http://www.rubberduckcarwash.com/instruct_ss.html

It says... Wax - high pressure hot wax
Switch to wax, wax entire vehicle including windows from top down.

Thanks

Rob.
Hey Rob,

You are not hurting your car with the high pressure water and chemicals at the car wash. The only thing you should not use is the foamy brushes that they have at all of these types of car washes. Personally I take a bucket and a mitt to the carwash and bucket wash my car.

There is a carwash in Bayers Lake called Top Gun Car Wash. I spoke to the owner this summer and he told me that as long as there is no one waiting he didn't care if you used a bucket when you were washing your car.

As for the hot wax, I don't use it but it probably wouldn't hurt. I use a product called Lucas Slick Mist (available at Canadian Tire) on my car when I dry it. I mist the entire car down with the slick mist before I dry it. It does a nice job of lubricating the surface and putting a nice shine and a bit of a protective coating on the car after you wash it.
      02-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Hey Rob,

You are not hurting your car with the high pressure water and chemicals at the car wash. The only thing you should not use is the foamy brushes that they have at all of these types of car washes. Personally I take a bucket and a mitt to the carwash and bucket wash my car.

There is a carwash in Bayers Lake called Top Gun Car Wash. I spoke to the owner this summer and he told me that as long as there is no one waiting he didn't care if you used a bucket when you were washing your car.

As for the hot wax, I don't use it but it probably wouldn't hurt. I use a product called Lucas Slick Mist (available at Canadian Tire) on my car when I dry it. I mist the entire car down with the slick mist before I dry it. It does a nice job of lubricating the surface and putting a nice shine and a bit of a protective coating on the car after you wash it.
+1 on those brushes. To OP, I have personally seen a guy use it to wash his (lifted Jeep)under panel after off-roading.. You have no idea what could be on those brushes... just bring your own bucket and car wash shampoo(balanced PH) use their water you should be fine.

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

And if you're going to use the brush, clean it first with the high-pressure wand. But no, I don't use it either... at least on my nice cars .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Roby84m
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3 E92 ZCP

Thank you for the input guys I tend to stay away from those brushes though.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
And if you're going to use the brush, clean it first with the high-pressure wand. But no, I don't use it either... at least on my nice cars .

^^
This, you can clean the brush first, also you'll want to high-pressure rinse your mit while your washing your car anyway since it will pick up dirt and grime you don't want to be rubbing on other parts of your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
aznclickster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
haha nice tip, never thought about washing the brush with the high pressure wand