BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

09-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
alexmarzouca
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i M-Sport

music cuts out- 2006 325i

Hello all, In my 06 325i, I've been having problems the last couple of days with the sound cutting off once I hit a certain volume. The headunit stays on, but the sound makes a crackling noise and cuts out for about 10-15 seconds, then comes back on. I go to a lot of competitions in the car and normally run 2200 watts rms to 2 12" DC Sound Lab Level 4xl's, but one recently got damaged so I've been running 2 Rockford Fosgate t1 12's at 1200 watts rms. I change the battery often, and i've always put out good voltage, but the last couple of days, i've been having problems. I've yet to test the voltage again, but I am starting to think it may be a wiring problem. Normally people would add a high output alternator to their car when running over 2000 watts, but due to the nature of my car, that is something I can't do, or at least so i've been told. I'm going to try checking the voltage again, but If that isn't the problem them i am at a loss. I just fixed the other subwoofers and was going to re-install them and try to add a small second battery to the car, just to give additional power since abusing 1 battery clearly isn't the best thing to do , but now I am starting to wonder if maybe my alternator simply can't keep up with it, since the car without the additional amplifiers need so much power as it is. I am always running a 600x4rms amp to the front stage of the car so in total, i'm in need of either another battery, or an upgraded/additional alternator. Since the dealer won't give me the time of day due to me being young and not up to the standards of their other clientele because I bought my car through a private seller, I figured i'd rant and try to get advice here. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the length and aimlessness. Its been a long day.
Appreciate 0