BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Bronx Cheer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

Clutch stop needed

I miss the shortened clutch travel on my e46 due to the clutch stop mod. Anyone find a way to do something similar in the e90?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Bronx Cheer
Private
Rep

Beuhler?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I think you will have to drill into the floor to put one in. E46s had a plastic piece screwed in behind the pedal, but E92s don't.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Bronx Cheer
Private
Rep

Is there any DIYs on how to do this?

How about attaching (welding?) a stop onto the clutch pedal's arm itself, or a replacement arm? This clutch travel is so long in comparison to my e46 ZHP with the $2.50 homemade clutch stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Could we get this to work?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...arolina+clutch

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
SS32
Major
Rep

^ That's not a bad idea. I made my clutch stop for my old car, but like I said, there was already something there with a threaded hole. That's a great solution. Now we just need to get someone to fab something to fit our pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Why do you want something to "fit" your pedal? If what you mean by fit is what is depicted in the pic above, I'd say that's a bad idea. If something gets out of alignment and the pedal lever misses the groove on the stop, it would be problematic. All one needs is a flat uniform surface that would limit pedal travel without constraining it laterally in any way.
      08-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Why do you want something to "fit" your pedal? If what you mean by fit is what is depicted in the pic above, I'd say that's a bad idea. If something gets out of alignment and the pedal lever misses the groove on the stop, it would be problematic. All one needs is a flat uniform surface that would limit pedal travel without constraining it laterally in any way.
The above picture's clutch stop is clamped to the clutch lever, there's no groove to hit or miss. The stop is bolted to the lever. There is an adjustable bolt/post that comes out of the stop and its length is adjusted so you can find your proper "stop position". It's just like the E46's solution, except that the stop is afixed(bolted) to the clutch lever instead of on the floorboard.

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
SS32
Major
Rep

Exactly. Hence the reason it's a great idea for our cars. One of my friends is a gunsmith, so he has milling machines where he works. I'm going to talk to him and see if he couldn't make something simple for me. I figure two plates with 4 holes, one in each corner, and then put one on either side of the pedal and clamp it down with some bolts. Then all I would need to do is tap one of the plates and I'm good to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
The above picture's clutch stop is clamped to the clutch lever, there's no groove to hit or miss. The stop is bolted to the lever. There is an adjustable bolt/post that comes out of the stop and its length is adjusted so you can find your proper "stop position". It's just like the E46's solution, except that the stop is afixed(bolted) to the clutch lever instead of on the floorboard.
Ah, I didn't see the pins on the sides. I thought the whole assembly was bolted on the floorpan. Yes, this would work. It is pretty easy to mill a block of aluminium. Can be done in 15-20 minutes once the dimensions are figured out. But it does add weight to the pedal, regardless of how small. Shouldn't be an issue though since the clutch pedal feels so light on the E92 M3 to being with.
      09-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But it does add weight to the pedal, regardless of how small. Shouldn't be an issue though since the clutch pedal feels so light on the E92 M3 to being with.
The weight is inconsequential, you'd never know it was there on a "blind taste-test". Also, the clutch lever is sprung...which I'm going to try and remove the spring (stiffens the pedal). I've removed the spring from the last 5 cars I've had....I can't stand the "help" that the springs provide.

Be good,
TomK

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
The weight is inconsequential, you'd never know it was there on a "blind taste-test". Also, the clutch lever is sprung...which I'm going to try and remove the spring (stiffens the pedal). I've removed the spring from the last 5 cars I've had....I can't stand the "help" that the springs provide.

Be good,
TomK
Let us know how the pedal feels after removing the spring. I was surprised at how light it was when I drove it for the first time. I believe that also has to do with the dual plate design.
      09-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how the pedal feels after removing the spring. I was surprised at how light it was when I drove it for the first time. I believe that also has to do with the dual plate design.
New thread in 'Engine' for spring removal...

Appreciate 0