BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Closed Thread

10-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

FYI it appears to me you have the rear spring installed wrong?? I think the helper spring should be on the bottom not the top. I just had an issue with this with my KW CS kit I installed this weekend. The rear was not sitting properly turned out the shop had installed the rear spring wrong.

Your rear looks to be sitting fine so I am not sure I am correct in this instance. Perhaps someone else can comment...?

Here is a pic of the instructions... (for clubsport not competition but I would assume they are the same??)

Last edited by stega; 10-19-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
FYI it appears to me you have the rear spring installed wrong?? I think the helper spring should be on the bottom not the top. I just had an issue with this with my KW CS kit I installed this weekend. The rear was not sitting properly turned out the shop had installed the rear spring wrong.

Your rear looks to be sitting fine so I am not sure I am correct in this instance. Perhaps someone else can comment...?

Here is a pic of the instructions... (for clubsport not competition but I would assume they are the same??)

I just got back from Shanghai last night so I'll have a look from my shop.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Harold is right IMO. On my KW CS kit the rear needed a coil spring spacer that I got from Richard.
      10-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

1. KW generally recommends placing the helper on the bottom so that the intermediate coupler does not make contact with the top adjuster. However, in Eugene's case the helper spring is thick enough to not cause any problems at all. We've done our homework weeks ago.

2. KW's philosphy is to use the shortest springs possible without compromising suspension travel. Why? Because springs are steel and heavy. Height spacers are aluminium which has 1/3 of the density of steel.

Hope this clears things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
On my KW CS kit the rear needed a coil spring spacer that I got from Richard.
It is correct that the rear of the KW Clubsport kit rides somewhat lower than what some users would like. I've already submitted my feedback and measurements from many of my client's cars to KW.
      10-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
1. KW generally recommends placing the helper on the bottom so that the intermediate coupler does not make contact with the top adjuster. However, in Eugene's case the helper spring is thick enough to not cause any problems at all. We've done our homework weeks ago.

2. KW's philosphy is to use the shortest springs possible without compromising suspension travel. Why? Because springs are steel and heavy. Height collars are aluminium which has 1/3 of the density of steel.

Ah as long as you did it intentionally... Was just trying to be helpful from my experience. I also agree with the fact that the KW adjuster is too short hence I purchased the adjuster from HPA.

to answer #2 if weight is important then they should hollow out the adjuster to save some as their (KW's) shorter adjuster is much heavier than the longer HPA one.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #28
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
Ah as long as you did it intentionally... Was just trying to be helpful from my experience. I also agree with the fact that the KW adjuster is too short hence I purchased the adjuster from HPA.

to answer #2 if weight is important then they should hollow out the adjuster to save some as their (KW's) shorter adjuster is much heavier than the longer HPA one.
Thanks. I will submit to KW your feedback.
      10-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #29
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

all information are great for us end user!

present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #30
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post

2. KW's philosphy is to use the shortest springs possible without compromising suspension travel. Why? Because springs are steel and heavy. Height spacers are aluminium which has 1/3 of the density of steel.

It is correct that the rear of the KW Clubsport kit rides somewhat lower than what some users would like. I've already submitted my feedback and measurements from many of my client's cars to KW.

The lower camber link spring seat face translates in 3 planes all at the same time. The camber link spring mounting face is not parallel to the top spring adjuster. The installed spring does not travel along straight axis but rather a curved axis. There difference in angle between the lower camber link spring face and the KW top adjuster varies from 2 to 9 degrees.

Coil spring remain linear only if they are compressed squarely. In this case, the spring will travel through a non uniform curve axis. When a spring is compressed along a curved axis the installed rate will increase between 15-35% and produce latteral loads. The amount of rate increase is dependant of the spring rate, length of spring, spring compression and the angle of misalignment of the spring seats. The effects are very non linear indeed.

By placing the helper spring on the camber link the lateral force from the main spring transfer to the helper spring. The helper spring will deform latterly by 4-8 mm when observed from bottom to top. The deformed helper spring actually aids in reducing the increased spring rate caused by the spring traveling along a curved axis. This might become obvious during an install.

Note: This does not apply to OEM spring since it has been designed to account for misalignment

Last edited by Orb; 10-23-2011 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #31
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

so what does that mean in plain english?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #32
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

HP Autowerks, your first post was removed because it was a clearly an advertisement of your products in another vendor's product review thread. (South also PM'd you about this)

After it was removed, you started making accusations of moderators being "pro KW". Then, within 24 hours, you created 2 new threads and 2 new posts about the HPA rear adjuster/spring kit and/or how it is superior. I politely moved them into the original product introduction thread and explained to you the reasoning.

As a moderator and a vendor I have to wear both hats, but every action I take I do so with the utmost integrity, and I hope that my reputation as a moderator from members who know me as well as my customers can support that.

As I said in my PM, I respect your knowledge, services, and products. We may have different philosophies in terms of how a suspension should be designed, but that does not make one of our designs wrong or inferior.

Eugene, I am sorry that your review has turned this way. And unfortunately I will have to close this thread because it will only turn into a bitter, unconstructive argument.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread