BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Why the hate on the M3?

I was looking at M3 reviews on youtube. 2 or 3 videos said that a flaw it has is that you have to push the gas pedal hard in order to get the power. Isn't that the point of a N/A V8 performance engine? Another flaw is that the car can't handle the track because the brakes fade too quickly and the back slides out too much. There's no grip.

What are they talking about? Anyone agree?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

If anything, I think BMW has paid a lot of people to give favorable reviews. Car & Driver has it beating GT-R, IS-F, 911, & C63.... uh... there's no bias there.
      01-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

Who cares, as long as your happy with your car no1 elses ideas count !!! I test drove all the cars I decided on ( S5,IS-F,335,C63) none could compare to the m3 !! But thats just my opinion.
      01-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNTASTIE View Post
Who cares, as long as your happy with your car no1 elses ideas count !!! I test drove all the cars I decided on ( S5,IS-F,335,C63) none could compare to the m3 !! But thats just my opinion.
Same here, M3 gets higher score in driving fun than any other car that I owned / test drove, including a 335xi, an S5 (nice interior, exterior is great, but feels like driving an under-powered boat, the V8 is uninspiring at best), and a C63 (much improved compared to my old C320, interior still feels kinda cheap compared to the M, the V8's exhaust note is insane, but the 7G-Tronic slush box is no match for the DCT, handling is good, but not as good as the M).

That's why I'm in the M instead of the 335xi.
      01-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
If anything, I think BMW has paid a lot of people to give favorable reviews. Car & Driver has it beating GT-R, IS-F, 911, & C63.... uh... there's no bias there.
Cool dude.. I've driven everything but the GTR in that list. Nothing is as enjoyable as the M3 in that list beyond a shadow of a doubt.. Isn't that what a drivers car is all about?

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
Cool dude.. I've driven everything but the GTR in that list. Nothing is as enjoyable as the M3 in that list beyond a shadow of a doubt.. Isn't that what a drivers car is all about?
The only one that I would pick over the M3 is a C2S or C4S with PDK, but those are much more expensive than the M, if loaded the same way.
      01-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
I see people here in Newport who are older gentlemen and I KNOW they can afford more exotic cars but I see them drive M3s for the driving pleasure. I haven't driven an M3 but have been in one (E46) and I could compare it my E46 330Ci and man the M3 is on a different level. I say if anyone gives you M3 drivers a hard time, let your engine do the talking just make sure there are no cops around . That's what I do and I got a 335.
      01-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
+1, no kidding.

The e46M3 has the brake fade issue also.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

When I first drove the M3 with M-DCT I agree it felt like you had to push the pedal down pretty far for it to start rolling. After 2000 miles on the car I think the acceleration's fine. Whether it was due to the progman reprogram or I got used to it, I can say it's totally a non issue. As far as the brakes, I havn't tracked the car yet. I love driving the car. Sometimes I think of excuses to go out of the house just so I can drive it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
NPTM3
Private
Rep
Drives: for fun

At the end of the day, cars are a series of engineering, design and fiscal compromises. There's always something that people think could be better or different about any car, but really all that matters is the enjoyment YOU get from it.
2009 ///M3 E92 (Space Gray/x-Fox Red, CF, 6MT)
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
ISAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW Coupe 6MT

Well... you know what they say. Jealousy runs deep among the urchins.

I too test drove many cars before settling on the M3. I love the car and everything about it. When test driving the other cars that were competitive to the M3 I found things about them I didn't like. When I test drove the M3 and in the different sport modes I knew I found the car for me.
      02-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM3 View Post
At the end of the day, cars are a series of engineering, design and fiscal compromises. There's always something that people think could be better or different about any car, but really all that matters is the enjoyment YOU get from it.
+1

There are too many loyalists, too many apologists, and too many haters as well. And neither are good IMO. Cars are so diverse and interesting, if you consider yourself an enthusiast, who loves to drive, then you have plenty to choose from, and that's a good thing. There are at least 10 cars (and not even the typical exotics people think about) that I'd love to own and drive around all the time. But I'm not wealthy enough or crazy enough to own that many. So I compromise as everyone does depending on their lifestyle, etc.

People will always debate this and that, I do as well - it's what makes things interesting if people can keep it from getting personal, but never to the extent that I lose sign of objectivity as much I can. In the end, what matters is that you are content. And if you are truly content, nothing else matters (reviews, opinions, jabs, haters, etc.).

I will have to say though that C&D (and most magazine) reviews are nothing more than a good laugh for me. So even that's a plus See the good in it, not the bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
There are too many loyalists, too many apologists, and too many haters as well. And neither are good IMO. Cars are so diverse and interesting, if you consider yourself an enthusiast, who loves to drive, then you have plenty to choose from, and that's a good thing. There are at least 10 cars (and not even the typical exotics people think about) that I'd love to own and drive around all the time. But I'm not wealthy enough or crazy enough to own that many. So I compromise as everyone does depending on their lifestyle, etc.

People will always debate this and that, I do as well - it's what makes things interesting if people can keep it from getting personal, but never to the extent that I lose sign of objectivity as much I can. In the end, what matters is that you are content. And if you are truly content, nothing else matters (reviews, opinions, jabs, haters, etc.).

I will have to say though that C&D (and most magazine) reviews are nothing more than a good laugh for me. So even that's a plus See the good in it, not the bad.

2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White

You're looking too hard and caring too much.

I've never seen negative reviews. Nothing major at least. It's a great car. Go drive, stop worrying what someone else might think.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #15
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

I wouldn't take any comments you read on youtube too seriously.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #16
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
+1

Well done.

Just to touch on what you said about owning a few other cars. I came from a 350z, and I needed a 4 door. So the new Z wasn't an option, and I ended up choosing the M3. I looked at a few of the others, test drove the IS-F, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and really wanted to test out the C63(which I never got to). Before I made my decision, I told myself, no matter what I choose, all of these are fantastic cars, and who wouldn't be happy in any one of them. Now back to the Z thing, I know the M3 is a far superior car in any/every aspect, but after seeing the new 370Z in person and loving the hell out of my 350Z, I REALLY would like to have that car as a toy. Its everything I want in an affordable 2 seater.
      02-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I'd say, based on the brief time I had with the new M3 (but hopefully soon to own one) that the throttle response is brilliant. I'll describe it in two words: VERY SMOOTH. People argue that's is too "slow". That's probably because other cars don't have such a throttle and you just get used to that. You can also change the throttle response with the sport button -- and it's much more sane than the E46 sport setting I might add. When it comes down to it though, these are just personal preferences, not real criticisms.

As for the brakes, they are perfect for the street where 99% of M3s will be spending their time. If you race you will probably be replacing the brakes (or at least the pads and fluid) anyway. I believe Edmund's, when they first reviewed the M3, reported that the M3 was the fastest stopping car (60 - 0 in 100 ft) they had ever tested up to that point, even beating the Porsche GT3! (The only car to have bettered it so far is the GTR, if I'm not mistaken.) Again, not a real criticism.

If you ask me, the only thing substandard about this car is the gas mileage. But to me, it's not so bad. And if you can't afford the gas, you can't afford this car. So, I think the hate is coming from those who cannot afford an M3. Jealous bastards.
      02-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #18
arr0gant
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

If you're planning on tracking your M3 on a regular basis, you would want to upgrade to brakes that don't fade.

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #19
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Just enjoy the fact that you drive one of the best cars in the world...period! The car has been praised by many a magazine and enthusiasts around the world. The only real criticsm I have heard on a consistent basis is the weight of the car. There are always people who say they could have done this, could have done that, which in some cases are substantiated arguments, however IMO the M3 delivers on all accounts; luxury, performance, and thrill factor. I also agree with BMW-hoya...I wouldn't take what youtube has to say to heart bro. To each his own.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
arr0gant
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
Just enjoy the fact that you drive one of the best cars in the world...period! The car has been praised by many a magazine and enthusiasts around the world. The only real criticsm I have heard on a consistent basis is the weight of the car. There are always people who say they could have done this, could have done that, which in some cases are substantiated arguments, however IMO the M3 delivers on all accounts; luxury, performance, and thrill factor. I also agree with BMW-hoya...I wouldn't take what youtube has to say to heart bro. To each his own.
+1, best car under $100k!!

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM3 View Post
Damn! Well put....!
Appreciate 0