BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: What should my next car be?
2014 Cayman S 98 70.00%
2013 RS5 24 17.14%
Other, Please name below 18 12.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

06-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
thanks for all your input guys. no used GT3s.. i would rather want a new car if im forking over that much dough

no real purpose, i guess a fun car. i could dd it, doesn't matter. I would like to occasionally take it to an autocross but it probably won't happen for awhile. getting rid of my m3 so someone else could enjoy it. i hardly drove it because i was so anal about it. i figured with my next car i would try and be less anal.
I think if you get the Cayman S you will be even more anal than you were with the M3 I know I would I think you should rock the black/black RS5 your still pretty young and your not going to really track the car anyway. If you get the Cayman S your going to wish you save up and got the 991S but the one you was looking at is 140k do what you want Dev. its all up to you 90 % of everyone you ask will say the Cayman S

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
F type
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #25
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

If you're ok with a dual clutch which i assume you are because the RS5 is on the list, go for a GT-R
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I would rather go with a mid engine car. It feels more stable around turns. So Cayman S for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
I think if you get the Cayman S you will be even more anal than you were with the M3 I know I would I think you should rock the black/black RS5 your still pretty young and your not going to really track the car anyway. If you get the Cayman S your going to wish you save up and got the 991S but the one you was looking at is 140k do what you want Dev. its all up to you 90 % of everyone you ask will say the Cayman S
Agreed, a car is just a car..it'll go through wear and tear, such is the life of a car. You can't prevent idiots from damaging no matter how much precaution you take. That said, I don't agree about the 991S vs Cayman comment if you track. The 911's have gone along way from widowmakers to extremely(relative) easy driven track machines, but there's no doubt in any ones mind that the cayman has already surpassed your non-GT class on a technical track. The 911 will be always faster on certain tracks because of it's power advantage, but it won't be more fun.

As for OP, you really have to answer this yourself...whether it be a GT3(991 or 997.2), a GTR, RS5 or whatever it may be - what do YOU want.

For example, do you need the extra seats to carry people occasionally? Do you prefer to row your own gearsl? Do you need to commute with it and drive clients around? Winter? What are your expectations for this car? No one understands your situation better than you. Answering each of these questions really help narrow down your options. I went through the same process a few months ago, it was extremely easy for me because I still wanted manual and a Porsche that's very track capable. Personally, the only 911 I would ever consider is a GT3, since buying my own place took a huge chunk out of my budget, Cayman was hands down my best option.

My second contender was actually the C7 Corvette, but I didn't wanna wait another year.
      06-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Agreed, a car is just a car..it'll go through wear and tear, such is the life of a car. You can't prevent idiots from damaging no matter how much precaution you take. That said, I don't agree about the 991S vs Cayman comment if you track. The 911's have gone along way from widowmakers to extremely(relative) easy driven track machines, but there's no doubt in any ones mind that the cayman has already surpassed your non-GT class on a technical track. The 911 will be always faster on certain tracks because of it's power advantage, but it won't be more fun.

As for OP, you really have to answer this yourself...whether it be a GT3(991 or 997.2), a GTR, RS5 or whatever it may be - what do YOU want.

For example, do you need the extra seats to carry people occasionally? Do you prefer to row your own gearsl? Do you need to commute with it and drive clients around? Winter? What are your expectations for this car? No one understands your situation better than you. Answering each of these questions really help narrow down your options. I went through the same process a few months ago, it was extremely easy for me because I still wanted manual and a Porsche that's very track capable. Personally, the only 911 I would ever consider is a GT3, since buying my own place took a huge chunk out of my budget, Cayman was hands down my best option.

My second contender was actually the C7 Corvette, but I didn't wanna wait another year.
did you get a 981S? if so, hows it feel compared to your m3?
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #29
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Looking at a base cayman right now trying to decide if I should save money or not by not getting the s.
      06-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #30
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
did you get a 981S? if so, hows it feel compared to your m3?
My car is actually scheduled to be delivery next Saturday so I don't have much experience with it yet. What I can tell you is that at the Cayman launch event..I got to drive the 981S on the same track that I spend the most time at, and I felt more comfortable and in control with the cayman in downpour rain than I did with the M3 on a nice day. Don't get me wrong though, the M3 is a very stable and friendly car to drive, but the weight difference and balance really shows on the mid-engine platforms.

I guess I should put this as food for thought. After I ordered my car, my buddy wanted to get out of his and into a cayman as well, but he asked himself the same things - do I track, what do I want from the car, etc. He came out buying a TT-RS simply because he knows he'll never track, and he likes the extra power that he could extract from the car with little cost; all while offering the manual option and a great exhaust note. So again, it really comes down to your personal situation and preference.
      06-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car is actually scheduled to be delivery next Saturday so I don't have much experience with it yet. What I can tell you is that at the Cayman launch event..I got to drive the 981S on the same track that I spend the most time at, and I felt more comfortable and in control with the cayman in downpour rain than I did with the M3 on a nice day. Don't get me wrong though, the M3 is a very stable and friendly car to drive, but the weight difference and balance really shows on the mid-engine platforms.

I guess I should put this as food for thought. After I ordered my car, my buddy wanted to get out of his and into a cayman as well, but he asked himself the same things - do I track, what do I want from the car, etc. He came out buying a TT-RS simply because he knows he'll never track, and he likes the extra power that he could extract from the car with little cost; all while offering the manual option and a great exhaust note. So again, it really comes down to your personal situation and preference.
what did you think of this car on the track power wise? only test drove a new cayman s that I was interested in and I didn't really want to push it too hard..it had 8 miles on it
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I was in the same boat...What are you going to get ...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Nasa ST2 S2000

Exige S240
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
what did you think of this car on the track power wise? only test drove a new cayman s that I was interested in and I didn't really want to push it too hard..it had 8 miles on it
I don't think that one time on the track is a fair depiction of how it feels, especially when it was as bad as it could get for a track day (short of snowing). To me, the power is more than I need..as the saying goes, it's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. While not absolutely applicable - it's a quick car in its own rights, I don't think you'd complain about the power, especially on a technical track. Although, if you're one of those guys that worry about the M3 not having enough kick to run your competition off the road(C63), you might be in the same boat with this car.

Random thought, new NSX? Whenever it gets here.
      06-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #35
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
I was in the same boat...What are you going to get ...
haha we will find out tomorrow afternoon

Quote:
I don't think that one time on the track is a fair depiction of how it feels, especially when it was as bad as it could get for a track day (short of snowing). To me, the power is more than I need..as the saying goes, it's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. While not absolutely applicable - it's a quick car in its own rights, I don't think you'd complain about the power, especially on a technical track. Although, if you're one of those guys that worry about the M3 not having enough kick to run your competition off the road(C63), you might be in the same boat with this car.

Random thought, new NSX? Whenever it gets here.
thanks for your input. not really worried about being the fastest in a straight line, but I want it to perform moderately well if I'm dropping that much dough..
New NSX is beautiful but really want a car sooner than that
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #36
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
haha we will find out tomorrow afternoon

thanks for your input. not really worried about being the fastest in a straight line, but I want it to perform moderately well if I'm dropping that much dough..
New NSX is beautiful but really want a car sooner than that
Haha, you're like me, except through my knee recovery..I've been driving a mediocre car for almost 2 years, I really couldn't wait anymore. If you're after a great handling car, I don't think you can make the wrong choice picking the cayman. Besides, a jump to 60mph in 4.7s isn't that slow. Good luck with your decision, you have great options ..there's no wrong choice. Besides, it's like what I tell my younger friends in privileged positions, you need to experience every kind of car to know what you'll like, be it a heavy powerful AMG, a high strung V8/H6, pure american muscle, mid-engine, rear-engine...awd.. the list is endless.
      06-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #37
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Remember it is what you want and what makes you happy...Cayman was on my list but I had a Corvette few years ago and since I sold it I never looked back. If I have the luxury one day I will get a 911....Best of luck

[QUOTE=DevJ;14212088]haha we will find out tomorrow afternoon
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #38
Will7.62
New Bourne
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 MR M3

Quote:
thanks for all your input guys. no used GT3s.. i would rather want a new car if im forking over that much dough

no real purpose, i guess a fun car. i could dd it, doesn't matter. I would like to occasionally take it to an autocross but it probably won't happen for awhile. getting rid of my m3 so someone else could enjoy it. i hardly drove it because i was so anal about it. i figured with my next car i would try and be less anal.
You know my thoughts on the two cars. RS5!!! Fewer on the roads and they are damn good looking cars!
As for getting rid of the M for someone else to enjoy... I am Ecstatic with the ride bro! I'm glad to be a part of the M3 culture now in such a well kept car. You my man are a gentleman and a scholar.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #39
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

981 cayman s. just sit it one. Driving position is freaking awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #40
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

The new Cayman S may well be the best driver's car on the planet. Mid-engine, RWD, 2nd gen PDK, under 3000lbs, stunning interior and exterior design. It is one of the, if not the best handling cars' made. Period. No, it is not a powerhouse, but building a powerhouse adds weight and complexity.

It is a better platform than the 911....everyone, including Porsche knows this. After my M3, I am almost certainly going to get either a 991 or a Cayman. If I decide to go with the 991, it will be the 4S. If I am staying with RWD, it will be the Cayman S, even over the 991S.

The other thing about the Cayman is the pricing. I can get every desirable option and have it fully customized and it still prices out less than a totally stripped 991S.

Get the Cayman S. As great as the M3 is, Porsche, today, is simply in a different league with everything they build. Even the steering on my big-ass Cayenne GTS with AWD is so precise, it defies the laws of physics.
      06-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #41
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The new Cayman S may well be the best driver's car on the planet. Mid-engine, RWD, 2nd gen PDK, under 3000lbs, stunning interior and exterior design. It is one of the, if not the best handling cars' made. Period. No, it is not a powerhouse, but building a powerhouse adds weight and complexity.

It is a better platform than the 911....everyone, including Porsche knows this. After my M3, I am almost certainly going to get either a 991 or a Cayman. If I decide to go with the 991, it will be the 4S. If I am staying with RWD, it will be the Cayman S, even over the 991S.

The other thing about the Cayman is the pricing. I can get every desirable option and have it fully customized and it still prices out less than a totally stripped 991S.

Get the Cayman S. As great as the M3 is, Porsche, today, is simply in a different league with everything they build. Even the steering on my big-ass Cayenne GTS with AWD is so precise, it defies the laws of physics.
the cayman is a good platform, and a really nice car to drive. its built well, and rides great while also having excellent handling.

that said, I thought it was somewhat slow for the price (6mt version) as they are almost impossible to build for under 75-80k. at that price point, the car should have more power IMO.

I preferred the 997 911 to the cayman since a gt3 and used turbo were in the same price range and IMO are much more capable and well rounded cars.

I liked the cayman, but compared to a 997 turbo or gt3, no way.

I have since tracked my 911tt once so far (many more events planned) and it is in another league from the m3 which I didn't realize until I got it on the track. now I am a P-car believer. if you track the car, go with a p-car, even if it is a new cayman s
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #42
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I think for everyday driving, the base Cayman probably has adequate power, I can't get on my S for more than about 3 seconds without risking serious speeding tickets. I'm thinking about a base Cayman to replace my S next year, may be more fun to be able to wind the gears out.
For track, the extra power is sorely needed. For me, only casually tracking once or twice a year, it's not an issue.
If I need the power rush, I'll just drive the M3 that day.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #43
Antonio1988
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3

Cayman hands down... either that or a used gt2 or turbo

2012 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I'd probably go Cayman since I've never owned a Porsche before and I want one as my next car (...911 though!).
Appreciate 0