BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #67
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post
I could care less if Steve Dinan vouched for 7500 mile oil changes. A little known organization called the United States Air Force taught me spectrometric oil analysis on real performance engines. I'll use what I learned about wear metal analysis and trends over what "engine experts" vouch for.
This thread is about spark plug conditions, if you have nothing to contribute about your spark plugs, move along.
fair enough, apologies
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #68
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Where can I get a coil puller tool?
      05-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #69
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

I think TxStig was making them before, PM him. I used a wire coat hanger with great success...
      05-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #70
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I run Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner before every oil change and do minimal city driving. The cleaner removes buildup and all those contaminates go into the oil so its necessary to change the oil after that tank full. Also, stretching the engine out (use the entire rev band) often and running Shell 93 V-power religiously has had all my BMWs running like champs.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #71
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
I run Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner before every oil change and do minimal city driving. The cleaner removes buildup and all those contaminates go into the oil so its necessary to change the oil after that tank full. Also, stretching the engine out (use the entire rev band) often and running Shell 93 V-power religiously has had all my BMWs running like champs.
The engine piston rings prevent the loosened contaminates from mixing with the engine oil. Their purpose is to seal the combustion chamber from the crankcase. When you remove fuel injector contaminates using fuel system cleaners they are sometimes pushed out with the exhaust and some might become additional contaminates on the spark plugs. Because you are using fuel system cleaner added to the gasoline it works to help clean fuel injectors not the spark plugs. The mix ratio of cleaner to fuel reduces the cleaning action compared to EFI cleaning machines and direct application combustion chamber cleaners.

When using fuel injection cleaning machines and strong combustion chamber cleaners it is sometimes worth changing the spark plugs after completing the cleaning process.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #72
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
The engine piston rings prevent the loosened contaminates from mixing with the engine oil. Their purpose is to seal the combustion chamber from the crankcase. When you remove fuel injector contaminates using fuel system cleaners they are sometimes pushed out with the exhaust and some might become additional contaminates on the spark plugs. Because you are using fuel system cleaner added to the gasoline it works to help clean fuel injectors not the spark plugs. The mix ratio of cleaner to fuel reduces the cleaning action compared to EFI cleaning machines and direct application combustion chamber cleaners.

When using fuel injection cleaning machines and strong combustion chamber cleaners it is sometimes worth changing the spark plugs after completing the cleaning process.
Your right. The only way for any carbon that is loosened up to be expelled would be through the exhaust valves. thanks for the clarification, I've should have known this...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #73
OilPatch
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VW TDi & BMW M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 VW Jetta TDI  [0.00]
This thread is just packed with info I love it. I don't have my car yet, but I'd like to give it the proper treatment from day one. My main concern is in my city (and any city within a 200mi radius) the highest octane you can buy is 91. I was planning on adding an octane booster with my fuel to help this, but I don't know if there is a brand out there that anybody has used to prevent carbon build up on the spark plugs?
      05-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #74
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPatch View Post
This thread is just packed with info I love it. I don't have my car yet, but I'd like to give it the proper treatment from day one. My main concern is in my city (and any city within a 200mi radius) the highest octane you can buy is 91. I was planning on adding an octane booster with my fuel to help this, but I don't know if there is a brand out there that anybody has used to prevent carbon build up on the spark plugs?
Save your money, each spark plug is used to monitor spark knock. If you live in "the city" you won't have your foot in it for very long.
If you will be dyno testing or playing at the track then you might find a need for higher octane.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #75
Maypo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IBM E92

Changed my plugs last week. Many thanks to TxStig for his coil puller. Took about 1.5 hours (without beer breaks). My car had 40k when I bought it two years ago, and has 61k now. I don't remember if the dealer said the plugs had been changed when I was in for the 50k service, so I'll have to follow up on that.

Per comments elsewhere, the car was very "happy" to have new plugs. :-)

There was some variation in plug deterioration, the rearmost pair looking pretty bagged. My suspicion is that those two, at least, were original.

Here is a photo of the passenger-side, rear:

Attachment 875083

Last edited by Maypo; 12-27-2014 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #76
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maypo View Post
Changed my plugs last week. Many thanks to TxStig for his coil puller. Took about 1.5 hours (without beer breaks). My car had 40k when I bought it two years ago, and has 61k now. I don't remember if the dealer said the plugs had been changed when I was in for the 50k service, so I'll have to follow up on that.

Per comments elsewhere, the car was very "happy" to have new plugs. :-)

There was some variation in plug deterioration, the rearmost pair looking pretty bagged. My suspicion is that those two, at least, were original.

Here is a photo of the passenger-side, rear:

Attachment 875083
That does look pretty worn. Do you have pics of some of the other plugs. Those rears are a B()** to get out and then get the coils back on. I wouldn't be surprised if a lazy tech didn't replace the rears.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #77
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

I plan on doing my plugs this summer. What plugs are yall replacing with? OEM or ones off Amazon? Once I do the work, I will post the pictures and contribute positively to the thread.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #78
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
That does look pretty worn. Do you have pics of some of the other plugs. Those rears are a B()** to get out and then get the coils back on. I wouldn't be surprised if a lazy tech didn't replace the rears.
This would be my guess as well. Heat didn't do that to the plug(s).
      07-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #79
Tora
EBII F30
United_States
Rep
Drives: EBII F30

I just did the change last weekend. I suspect that I am also not running the car enough to reach burn-off temp and thus have these "fouled" plugs. Also would like to thank TxStig for the tool! Well worth it!

EDIT: Car is '08 with 33,000 miles - first spark plug change.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tora; 07-03-2013 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
Appreciate 0