BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #23
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

I will disagree that anyone "puts you in the system" unless you actually get a ticket. I actually have been pulled over 5 times in 4 years for "no front plate" in Ohio and at no time was I ever in their system for those warnings. Then the 4th year I was here I literally got pulled over 2 times by the same motorbike cop in a period of 3 days. He rememered teh second time that he JUST told me to go get a plate on there. 3 days later still no plate and he actually gave me one more chance to get it on but next time he saw me he would pull me over and tow my car in front of me.

That is where I drew the line and finally put it on.

However I have to also endorse using 3M tape to put it on. I had it on for about a year now through winter and summer and it was on there perfectly. Just took it off as I am moving to AZ where no plate required and the bumper is perfect (mine is JB too).

It actually did not look back (on an e60) as I got a really nice CF plate and attached that to the liscence plate. Then 3m taped the thing onto the front bumper and it was sitting literally FLUSH with the car as there was no big "drilled bracket" piece jutting out. And it was surrounded by black CF to match my rear plate. I really could have left it and not cared. 3m is WAY better.

The tow hooks like really bad IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #24
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
However I have to also endorse using 3M tape to put it on. I had it on for about a year now through winter and summer and it was on there perfectly. Just took it off as I am moving to AZ where no plate required and the bumper is perfect (mine is JB too).
Finally, someone that agrees with me on using 3M tape.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...dbbfef014e2f32
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

5erman, I think different states may have different policies/procedures on having your "violations" in the system. Every time I get pulled over, I can overhear the dispatch read to the cop the past violations I've been ticketed for, and I heard the "improper display of license plate" a few times. I think they do know, but it might not be listed in the police car's onboard computer.

I don't think a cop following me and checking my license plate would show anything (unless I had a warrant or something serious). They don't even have your speeding ticket records there because they check afterwards.
      01-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerM View Post
Finally, someone that agrees with me on using 3M tape.
So you can literally use the same type of double sided tape that attaches a lip spoiler and it will hold pretty damn well? I have a drill hole free plate mount going on that is center mounted but it's not as clean as a plate that is fully stuck on the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #28
5erman
Banned
Rep

I must have mispoke-I do not doubt they have any violation on you in the computer however I meant that just because they stop and pull you over, you dont get put "in the system" unless you get a citation/ticket issued. So if you get a warning that will not go into the system, atleast here in Ohio. Might be different elsewhere.

And yes you just get the heavy duty stuff from Hope depot (or wherever) and I put down maybe 6 pieces vertically down the lisc plate and then pressed it onto the bumper with slight pressure to the outsides of the plate so the plate actually bent very slightly to more gently curve around the bumper. Not to the extreme of being an obvious curve, just slightly rounded on the ends.

I would rec. getting a nice black or CF frame for the plate, and stick that on the plate first, then put the whole thing onto the car. That way it covers the holes in the top of the plate and it blends the plate in nicely into the car. You really do not notice it and does not look badly at all
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #29
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
So you can literally use the same type of double sided tape that attaches a lip spoiler and it will hold pretty damn well? I have a drill hole free plate mount going on that is center mounted but it's not as clean as a plate that is fully stuck on the bumper.
Here's a closeup shot of the 3m tape. It is not noticeable from normal viewing distance and looks totally stock.

Of course my M3 is less than 2 weeks old, but my X5 has it mounted this way for the last 4 years and it's still on as strong as ever.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #30
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Tow hook mount it or use the quick release one that mounts to the lower gille.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #31
5erman
Banned
Rep

Oh I dont even use the bracket they give you-to me that defeats the purpose of being able to use tape and not use screws. You can literally tape the plate directly onto the car. No big bracket. Just use an exterior frame so it makes a nice border but then stick it right to the car. That way it is FLUSH with the car and doesnt jut out like the frame does
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #32
Elaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92m

hey jtblkm3 you got in bro.hey since your in queens maybe we can hook up one day when it gets warmer. there are a couple of guys in the boogie down that i role with on the meets and runs in the summer. but my car dose not come out in the rain or snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #33
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Oh I dont even use the bracket they give you-to me that defeats the purpose of being able to use tape and not use screws. You can literally tape the plate directly onto the car. No big bracket. Just use an exterior frame so it makes a nice border but then stick it right to the car. That way it is FLUSH with the car and doesnt jut out like the frame does
yea, I want to see pics of the way you did it. I think the bracket is ugly so I can't be bothered to 3M that onto the bumper. Might as well screw it into the bumper if that was the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #34
5erman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
yea, I want to see pics of the way you did it. I think the bracket is ugly so I can't be bothered to 3M that onto the bumper. Might as well screw it into the bumper if that was the case.
Unfortunately I have no pics as it is off my car but it really can't be any simpler and is totally reversible so if you dont like it you peel it off. You simply take 6 strips of tape, put them on the back of the plate vertically and press it onto your car. If you like you can slightly form the plate to the curvature of the bumper or just leave it-both look great.

I went the extra step to by a black CF frame and stuck that overtop with 3m tape as well to "frame" the plate and cover the holes in the plate.

It looked great, and I am surprised nobody else does this
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #35
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Unfortunately I have no pics as it is off my car but it really can't be any simpler and is totally reversible so if you dont like it you peel it off. You simply take 6 strips of tape, put them on the back of the plate vertically and press it onto your car. If you like you can slightly form the plate to the curvature of the bumper or just leave it-both look great.

I went the extra step to by a black CF frame and stuck that overtop with 3m tape as well to "frame" the plate and cover the holes in the plate.

It looked great, and I am surprised nobody else does this
BUMP!

Can I see a pic? I got a "fix it ticket" no fine, just have to get this fixed and signed off by a cop. I was lietrally going to just tape it right before I got to the Highway Patrol statrion and have them look at it sign it off, leave and take the plate right off.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #36
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANDME View Post
+1 I use the non-motorized one, had it for over year very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #37
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Dude, why don't you just use the tow-hook set-up? You can screw it on, and take it off anytime.... and you don't have to drill any holes into the bumper. Pretty much the best solution.
IM going to use some heavy duty white velcro and conceal it somewhere so when i park the car, ill just pull the tab out the grill and put the plates on. I only need it for when i park in the city. no other cop gives a shit in ny. pulled over 7 times now and not a single comment about it (2 extra in florida).