BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Closed Thread

03-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
bramble
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 Monte Carlo

Not Happy !

Just a quick note to self.........

I was out for my Sunday afternoon drive earlier today. There I was minding my own business and enjoying the (unusual) sunshine in UK, when up the outside went a 6 year old Subaru ST, braked, he went in front and then proceeded to be a complete arse slowing down and speeding up. Anyway UK A roads have very little overtaking chances so I just sat back and tried to enjoy the drive.

I then came to a 1 mile long dual carriage way and in preparation popped on the M button, off with the DSC and double clicked the EDC and floored it - went past him as he was behind a car which I had anticipated the gap for and off I went - bad thing was he kept with me all the way to the end and I had topped 160mph (so much for limiter!) I was however getting away from him but only an inch at a time......I then pulled over a little bit later - sounded my horn to say thanks and was met with 2 fingers !!!!

So anyway, bottom line is I couldn't really get away from him and I was sat there paddle shifting up and down and right up to the 8k limit and he was in my mirror all the time - I was gutted - he was laughing all the way past having stayed up with a far superior car than his.

Yea he was in my mirror but the only reason is because I anticipated the move before him. If I didn't then I can tell you for a fact I could not have overtaken him - period !

I am so gutted and disappointed with my little MCB now, that I don't want to use her - yea she looks good and sounds good but when a "crappy" car keeps up with you then you know that you haven't got a fast car anymore............

Boo Hoo and no comments necessary as nothing can cheer me up as my bubble has been well and truly burst...........gutted........

Is it time to change or is this classed as a normal encounter and actually shows the M3 E92 for what it really is - just a nice looking car :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramble View Post
Just a quick note to self.........

I was out for my Sunday afternoon drive earlier today. There I was minding my own business and enjoying the (unusual) sunshine in UK, when up the outside went a 6 year old Subaru ST, braked, he went in front and then proceeded to be a complete arse slowing down and speeding up. Anyway UK A roads have very little overtaking chances so I just sat back and tried to enjoy the drive.

I then came to a 1 mile long dual carriage way and in preparation popped on the M button, off with the DSC and double clicked the EDC and floored it - went past him as he was behind a car which I had anticipated the gap for and off I went - bad thing was he kept with me all the way to the end and I had topped 160mph (so much for limiter!) I was however getting away from him but only an inch at a time......I then pulled over a little bit later - sounded my horn to say thanks and was met with 2 fingers !!!!

So anyway, bottom line is I couldn't really get away from him and I was sat there paddle shifting up and down and right up to the 8k limit and he was in my mirror all the time - I was gutted - he was laughing all the way past having stayed up with a far superior car than his.

Yea he was in my mirror but the only reason is because I anticipated the move before him. If I didn't then I can tell you for a fact I could not have overtaken him - period !

I am so gutted and disappointed with my little MCB now, that I don't want to use her - yea she looks good and sounds good but when a "crappy" car keeps up with you then you know that you haven't got a fast car anymore............

Boo Hoo and no comments necessary as nothing can cheer me up as my bubble has been well and truly burst...........gutted........

Is it time to change or is this classed as a normal encounter and actually shows the M3 E92 for what it really is - just a nice looking car :-(
What Subaru? A WRX STi? Don't feel bad, that car is incredibly quick, but I garauntee that guy was having the bumpiest ride of his life. The car is made out of tin and flops around the road like a fish you just pulled out of the water. I had one and while it is half the price of the M with almost similar performance, it is not as attractive, not as comfortable, not as good of a handling car and also it is not as quick.

I get shit from my buddy with his Ferrari California, but that car is 3x the price... but fortunately I have another buddy that's about to get a Porche for 100k less than that Ferrari and destroy it (2.9 0-60!). Me, I love my BMW, its a beautiful car.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
bramble
Rep

Cheers JM,

Yep it was a WRX STi !

Your comments are very kind but as you said it is half the price with the same performance figures !

It's not until you "meet" one on the road that you actually find out how good they are against each other and if I didn't anticipate the overtake move then I would have been left for dead !

still gutted but I did smile with the thought of his "tin" rattling and the noise from the bumps he would have gon over on our wonderful UK A Class roads.

:-(
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

WRX STI is a really fast car!! But as it was mentioned above, it is not that comfortable and fun. M3 is not a drag race car, and is not the fastest car in the straight line, as an example, C63 is way faster in the straight line, but in every review M3 was chosen as the superior car because of better handling! Another example, Ariel Atom is a super fast car (2.9 secs to 100KM/HRS), but do you want to drive it as your DD car? Probably not! I see M3 as the best combination between a sport / luxury / sexy car

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your mood

However, I would never engage in such shall we say road play. Your car is a very powerful machine top in the stable of all BMW's never forget that my Friend.

Dreadful things can happen at engagements as you described it in your post.

Foot Note, My old M3 once saved my life ... while overtaking a truck the truck driver obviously fell asleep as he drifted into my lane during overtaking him. I put the foot to the floor and my e46 ///M saved my life. I will always be thankful to the fellows at BMW for hand building such a fine engine

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-06-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: added a Foot Note
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Probably not! I see M3 as the best combination between a sport / luxury / sexy car
+100

well put, one of the main reasons I traded my Z4 in besides I missed my first love the e46 ///M I drove for 4 years.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Unfortunately, if you want to street race, the M3 is probably not the car for you.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

IBTL!

But seriously, OP, why would you want to do that on a public road? Also M3 isn't exactly a super fast car, so the outcome is not unexpected.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
bramble
Rep

Agree totally - racing a car on the "streets" is totally stupid and irresponsible - I have never done it and have had the car for over a year - I just love the look and sound of my MCB and like the feel of the power.

But you are all correct - it ain't a fast racing car.

Today was a one off and I will never be doing it again believe you me......you can't control or predict what other drivers do.......I didn't drive like a prat - kept to the 60mph speed limit except when the dual carriage way appeared........Just gutted that I found out today that it's not as fast as I thought :-(

Please don't race your cars - it's not big and it's not clever......stay safe.....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

I'm guessing you car is stock and his was obviously heavily modified?

At the end of the day you have the better car,that should be obvious.

I dont see why you're bummed,start going to track days and you'll see plenty of modified economy cars that can keep up with 911's and M3's,so what? LoL
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
mainstray
NSDQ
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
There's always AA SC or HP Turbo!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
dood i got smoked by a beat up old 94 honda civic on the freeway...so what, life goes on....BE HAPPY!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I was destroyed on the track by a stock Hyundai i30 hatchback. :/ Granted, the driver was semi-pro and it was my first time out, but still...I guess I should sell my M3.

But seriously...there's always going to be faster cars. Can't help it. If you don't ever want to get beat, you better have the money to buy a Veyron or some other supercar. But even then, someone will come in and say, "Oh yeah? My G6 jet is faster" or some other BS. Then we'll get into debates on whether the Flash or Superman is faster.

The Subaru may be much cheaper, but don't forget that they're also much cheaper and easier to mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

lol

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I look at it this way... mere fact the he was chasing you to play with you says alot having a M3.
I had an M5 speeding and weaving through traffic to catch up with me, while cruising through trafric doing legal limits the other day.
He stayed at my back rear trying to get noticed,
he got inpatient and weaved sped through other cars in his hopes that I would play with him.
Are you StupiD! theres not even enough space to accelerate.
... few moments later his lane slowed up ahead and mine opened
I passed to see his car in my distant back.
I bet he was frustrated
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
emthreeboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

Well you dont know what was done to that STI. Theres alot of ''cheap'' upgrades you can do to those to reach 400bhp+.

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
Glop
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E93 / 2007 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
Another retarded thread brought to you by MPost.
+1

So you dropped more cash than him on a "sport" car, so you should be faster? You mad bro? Butthurt? How sad! You can either grow up or you should sell your M3 and get a motorcycle:

1) you'll smoke idiots willing to race you in nearly any car
2) you'll do it for 1/10th the cost of a loaded E92. Such display of financial mastery and speed will obviously be rewarded with no more butthurt ego.
3) when your dumb ass crashes for driving like a retard on public roads and you hit another car that had nothing to do with your own little personal testosterone trip, you're way more likely to be the only casualty

I really wish evolution would weed out people who use their car as an extension of their penis. Sadly people with the IQ of an oyster seem to be just as good at killing others rather than themselves.

Last edited by Glop; 03-06-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
TW0929
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Unfortunately, if you want to street race, the M3 is probably not the car for you.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
artar
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 MR E92 M3; 08 SGM 135i Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
Another retarded thread brought to you by MPost.

Yep the M3 is just a really nice looking car and has absolutely no power. It sucks and gets beat my the Toyota Prius. You should go trade it in and get a C63 and start smoking GTR's, Suburu's, Lambo's,Ferrari's! Do it. Now.
...how to win friends and influence people...................... brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #20
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
He was probably modded, that's the only way he can beat you. So don't feel bad. If you really really wanted to be the king of the road and beat a good majority of cars on the street (I am not condoning street racing, I keep it on the track), then you should either mod your car with a ESS Supercharger or buy a faster car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emthreeboy View Post
Well you dont know what was done to that STI. Theres alot of ''cheap'' upgrades you can do to those to reach 400bhp+.
The STi is all wheel drive and, stock, can pull 4.6-4.7 0-60... but it is geared in rally-race fashion so there's substantially slow going up higher in the MPH. I put my up to 140 but it didn't feel like it had much more - maybe the engine did, but I didn't even feel safe, the car was bouncing around, felt like it was about to take off.

Its a great car, so is the M3. Much rather have the M3, unless of course I was rally racing - then STi all the way.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #22
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

What are you worried about? At the end of the day he's driving a P.O.S. Subaru and you're driving a soon-to-be legendary BMW. By the way, sport bikes are faster too. So are race-spec front wheel drive Hondas. What does it prove?
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread