BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #45
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

damn extreme, that is crazy leak man. i feel bad for you. Should lemon that POS asap.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 03:17 AM   #46
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Wow.. im suprised that I havent seen this thread before.. I have recently had the same issue in the same place... also in both rear quarters.
Bmw dealership is resolving the issue.. they have ordered new seals/rubbers for me thankfully under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
I like to hand wash my car 99.99% of the time, but if I'm in a huge rush after a rainy day or whatever I will run my M3 through a touchless wash (with no rails obviously). Its all good, but for some reason the roof leaks on both sides in the same spot. Here is a picture of where it leaks from it seems. I get a significant amount of water on the seats when I run through the car wash and when the car wash is on "high pressure".

Wondering if anyone else has this issue?
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #47
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

I've had two generations of BMW convertibles and neither have allowed a single drop of water into the cabin. Of course, I avoid high-pressure wash systems like the plague. I know plenty of other owners, and they've had no complaints either. Sounds like you got a car built on a Friday afternoon. BMW should completely replace your seals and fittings.

Good luck to ya.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #48
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
I've had two generations of BMW convertibles and neither have allowed a single drop of water into the cabin. Of course, I avoid high-pressure wash systems like the plague. I know plenty of other owners, and they've had no complaints either. Sounds like you got a car built on a Friday afternoon. BMW should completely replace your seals and fittings.

Good luck to ya.
That has already been done, it leaks worse.
I have towels sitting on the seats and floor, since when it rains it leaks in.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #49
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecruiser View Post
That has already been done, it leaks worse.
I have towels sitting on the seats and floor, since when it rains it leaks in.
That absolutely sucks. It'd completely ruin the experience for me and I'd get rid of the car as soon as I could (if BMW didn't man-up and fix the issue once and for all).

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #50
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
That absolutely sucks. It'd completely ruin the experience for me and I'd get rid of the car as soon as I could (if BMW didn't man-up and fix the issue once and for all).
Attorney retained, lawsuit filed, waiting on my day in court.
From looking at all the BMW forums, this is not a isolated issue, I update the blog with all the links to other owners issues so that those with leaks are not alone and as a reference
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #51
Alex D
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

There seems to be issues with some M3 verts. THis one is a buy back from BMWUSA too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_21511wt_1165

I cannot imagine someone will just return it on LL for a leaky seal and assume they also had tried to fix it multiple times before the customer got fed up.
'07 335i Convertible - Karmesinrot/Korallrot, Dinan Stage 2, 6-speed, Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Pkgs., iDrive/Nav, BMWCCA#407025
'13 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 - Ingot Silver/Gray, Ecoboost 3.5l Twin Turbo, 302A Equipment Group, 3.31 Electronic Lock Axle, 5Star 93 Perf./Tow tune
'08 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring - Crystal Pearl White/Tan
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #52
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
There seems to be issues with some M3 verts. THis one is a buy back from BMWUSA too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_21511wt_1165

I cannot imagine someone will just return it on LL for a leaky seal and assume they also had tried to fix it multiple times before the customer got fed up.
Shocker they are selling them on ebay, I wonder how they will warranty the top on that one ?

BTW I updated the site
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #53
fadious
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Leaky M3 roof

My M3 has been leaking for over a year. They replaced everything on it and then they claimed that I damaged the roof. I took them to lemon law court and the court denied my claim saying that it is a not a major defect and should not affect the car use/market value. After seeing how many people are having the same problem, I think that I am going to appeal. Wish me luck
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #54
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadious View Post
My M3 has been leaking for over a year. They replaced everything on it and then they claimed that I damaged the roof. I took them to lemon law court and the court denied my claim saying that it is a not a major defect and should not affect the car use/market value. After seeing how many people are having the same problem, I think that I am going to appeal. Wish me luck
Go back after them, what state ?
Lemon law's are pretty clear, first I have ever heard of BMW letting a case go to court
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #55
M3twins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Man, that really sucks!! Sorry to hear about your situation and I hope you are vindicated with an appeal. Drove my E93 yesterday for the first time in pouring rain and thankfully no leaks whatsoever. Seems like I got lucky.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #56
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3twins View Post
Man, that really sucks!! Sorry to hear about your situation and I hope you are vindicated with an appeal. Drove my E93 yesterday for the first time in pouring rain and thankfully no leaks whatsoever. Seems like I got lucky.
most people, (keyword:most) dont have leaks in the rain, its under high pressure car washes or even some get it with hand washes
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #57
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
most people, (keyword:most) dont have leaks in the rain, its under high pressure car washes or even some get it with hand washes
I can take a old 1985 for mustang convertible and a 1999 jag convertible through the same touch less car wash from my video and neither leak, not a drop and they are old rag tops.
Seems BMW did fix the leak issue with the new Z4 design, the E93 was supposed to be the first leak free convertible.
If your E93 leaks under pressure, it probably will start leaking when it rains at some point.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #58
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

This is being blown way out of proportion. The vast majority of E93s don't have leaks, mine included, and I live in a very rainy area, use the car as a daily driver, and yes, I take it through car washes.

Internet forums always focus attention on a very small minority of cases, out of all the cars out there. People then leap to illogical conclusions.
      10-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #59
fadious
Registered
Rep

water

There is no logic for a car to leak. The last car that I have been in that leaked was a 1983 Alfa Romeo. To have a $70,000 car leak during a rain storm is unacceptable. I know that the car is fun to drive but I like my suits not to be wet while I am driving. I am sure that you would feel the same way if your car is dripping water on you while you are driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #60
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
There is no logic for a car to leak. The last car that I have been in that leaked was a 1983 Alfa Romeo. To have a $70,000 car leak during a rain storm is unacceptable. I know that the car is fun to drive but I like my suits not to be wet while I am driving. I am sure that you would feel the same way if your car is dripping water on you while you are driving.
Yes, and it is not acceptable to have an engine defect, or an electronics problem, which we seem to hear a lot about on internet forums with M3s or BMWs in general. But, "stuff" happens because no manufacturing process is perfect. I suppose I'd rather have a few drips on my suit than a sputtering engine or warning lights going off incessantly. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with any of the above.

It does not appear to be a widespread problem, except in this thread among a few posters. One or two occurrences seem to get multiplied 10-fold or more on these forums, and people leap to the conclusion that most ALL E93s leak. That was my point.

Last edited by foosh; 10-14-2009 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #61
fadious
Registered
Rep

Leaking still

Does anyone know how the problem was addressed in the new Z4 because if BMW made a major change to the Z4, then they are aware of the problem and it is not just an isolated problem on a blog site. I heard from a Volvo dealer today that they are having the same problem. The roof on their cars is the same design as the on the 3 series. MAn, $70,000 and the car leaks in the rain.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #62
M3twins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Right. I, like others that live in California, have not had any rain since maybe March. And like most (keyword:most), I have the phenomenon of small drips of water leaking in on both front windows during washing. So, since it finally started to rain, I decided to check if there was leakage during a heavy downpour. I, luckily, was not experiencing this like others unfortunately are.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #63
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I definitely feel bad to those with leaky roofs, but like foosh says, this is clearly a small minority. I wish BMW would find a fix for the few that leak. If you think about it, it doesn't make sense that this would be incurable. It would be like a plumber coming to fix your leaky sink and saying "Sorry, there is just no fix for this one.". I mean WTF? I think it must be damaged seals like I had said earlier. Either that or a manufacturing defect somewhere in a certain batch of cars.

I also wonder, do 3 series convertible owners complain of the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #64
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

We had an '87 mustang GT convertible that leaked so bad you needed an umbrella in the car when it rained... but that was part of the "fun" of owning a rag top.

To have leaks in an 80K BMW is pure BULLSHIT. Tell the dealer to fix it or give you a new car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #65
WHM3
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Anyone else with a leaking E93 M3 Roof?

Hi all. I'm new here. A few months ago, I took delivery of a new-to-me 2008 E93. It replaced my beloved E36 M3C.

I'll add another data point. My car leaks by just sitting parked in the rain. There are leaks at both "C" pillars as well as where the top meets the windshield on the passenger side. The last one is the worst. When I make a right turn, I get small streams of water pouring onto the passenger seat. In the back, the liner is very wet in both spots. When dry, you can see mineral deposits both inside and outside on the passenger side...clearly that's been a problem for a while.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that such an expensive and new car to leak like this. It's not like BMW hasn't made convertibles in the past. My E36 never leaked a single drop. Yes, it's a much simpler mechanism with much fewer seams where water can leak. But, keeping water out isn't rocket science (unlike the top mechanism itself...what a marvel!)

I'll be taking it into the dealer for this as well as a very annoying acceleration issue, which I need to see if others on this forum have experienced.

While I love this car, I'm second guessing myself for buying it used. My E36 was purchased new (and at the end of the model run) so it was darn near perfect (they had 7 years to work out issues).

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you all!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #66
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone know how the problem was addressed in the new Z4 because if BMW made a major change to the Z4, then they are aware of the problem and it is not just an isolated problem on a blog site. I heard from a Volvo dealer today that they are having the same problem. The roof on their cars is the same design as the on the 3 series. MAn, $70,000 and the car leaks in the rain.
The seal design was changed, go look at a Z4 and you will see the difference.
The part that is frustrating is that those of us that have a real leak can not get it fixed, even if the replace all the seals.
There are a few posts about the design change on E90post
Appreciate 0