BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
rxt27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Frozen Gray E92 M3

Gear shifting down by itself at high speed + gear rattling sound

Since buying my 2011 DCT E92 M3, I had this gear rattling sound whenever in auto mode as when I let go off the gas and the gears shift down and I press the gas pedal right away (the foot works is like during a bad traffic). There is a slight lag before the car moves again. The gear rattling sound happens during this lag. Is this normal?

Two weeks ago after a track day, my ABS+DSC+TPM lights came out (pic below). My car is stock and has only 5200 km on the clock. Nothing to worry about since I read in this forum that this is a common issue for the E90 series. So I called the dealer to schedule a slot to get it check. On the way to the dealer, while driving on the highway at 110 km/h, the gear (which was originally at the 7th gear) suddenly shift down by itself to 2nd gear and the rpm shoot up to 7000. Then the gears shift up slowly by itself to 7th gear again. After 1 minute, this happens again, and repeated for up to 3 times. I tried to control the gears with the paddles but this did not work. Its like somehow somebody has hacked into the M3's computer and take control of the gear changing. It was really quite dangerous. What if I had driven faster than 110 km/h and the gears shift to 2nd by itself and the engine blow? Upon arriving at the dealer, I told the service advisor to check on this issue, but they found nothing wrong. The car has been in the dealer for a week. They tried to investigate this problem but this issue did not surface again.

Has any of you guys experience this before? Please help me to figure out this issue.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and advice.

Richard
Attached Images

Last edited by rxt27; 10-01-2012 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
fuhshietfu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

wow sorry but that is insane. 6MT FTW. glad ur engine didn't blow. Hope they fix it asap
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxt27 View Post
Since buying my 2011 DCT E92 M3, I had this gear rattling sound whenever in auto mode as when I let go off the gas and the gears shift down and I press the gas pedal right away (the foot works is like during a bad traffic).

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and advice.

Richard
Yes, this kind of rattle sounds normal with DCT.

Your other issue most certainly is not. Get to a decent dealer asap
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
carbon//m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4 vert

that nuts...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
rxt27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Frozen Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
Were you actually driving in auto in track
This happened when I was on the way to the dealer.. cruising in the highway..was really shocked when this happened
Appreciate 0