BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #23
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

OP, I'm sorry but that looks like a half ass upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #24
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
OP, I'm sorry but that looks like a half ass upgrade
Half ass upgrade to what though?

I have no idea what those boxes even are? The one on the right says BMW and "No GPS" on it, the two on the left are just confusing.

I have no idea what is supped to be here as this car is used that's why I ask.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #25
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
Half ass upgrade to what though?

I have no idea what those boxes even are? The one on the right says BMW and "No GPS" on it, the two on the left are just confusing.

I have no idea what is supped to be here as this car is used that's why I ask.
Those should be a Bluetooth TCU/Combox on the right (note the Bluetooth logo on the far left of that label) and an amp for the Enhanced Premium Sound system on the left. However, I just looked at my car, which has both Combox and Premium Sound, and it only has the box that looks like the one on the left, though it's mounted in the right-hand "slot" of that area and the connectors and wires look slightly different. Maybe the amp design was changed at some point and Combox was relocated when it was implemented to replace the original Bluetooth TCU.

I seriously doubt that Enhanced Premium Sound was retrofitted since I've never heard of that having been done and it would almost certainly be far too expensive to be worth doing compared to other aftermarket audio solutions, but Bluetooth retrofits have certainly been done on the relatively few cars that didn't come with it from the factory. You might check your VIN using one of the many BMW VIN decoder sites (PM me if you can't find a good one) to find out what your car came with in order to determine whether an upgrade was retrofitted. If so, maybe that was the best way the owner could figure out how to keep both boxes somewhat securely mounted without having the correct brackets from the factory for each. The other possibility is that one of these components was replaced due to failure (some of those amps have been replaced under warranty due to water damage) and the tech who did the job did it poorly.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-29-2015 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:44 AM   #26
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Those should be a Bluetooth TCU/Combox on the right (note the Bluetooth logo on the far left of that label) and an amp for the Enhanced Premium Sound system on the left. However, I just looked at my car, which has both Combox and Premium Sound, and it only has the box that looks like the one on the left, though it's mounted in the right-hand "slot" of that area and the connectors and wires look slightly different. Maybe the amp design was changed at some point and Combox was relocated when it was implemented to replace the original Bluetooth TCU.

I seriously doubt that Enhanced Premium Sound was retrofitted since I've never heard of that having been done and it would almost certainly be far too expensive to be worth doing compared to other aftermarket audio solutions, but Bluetooth retrofits have certainly been done on the relatively few cars that didn't come with it from the factory. You might check your VIN using one of the many BMW VIN decoder sites (PM me if you can't find a good one) to find out what your car came with in order to determine whether an upgrade was retrofitted. If so, maybe that was the best way the owner could figure out how to keep both boxes somewhat securely mounted without having the correct brackets from the factory for each. The other possibility is that one of these components was replaced due to failure (some of those amps have been replaced under warranty due to water damage) and the tech who did the job did it poorly.
Can you send me a photo of what yours looks like?

According to the dealer this VIN was optioned with everything so it did have the premium audio since new.

Used car ownership is always fun

I think what I need to do is find some local BMW group and maybe go to a meetup or something, this way I could look at a bunch of other cars to compare.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 05:08 AM   #27
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #28
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
Can you send me a photo of what yours looks like?

According to the dealer this VIN was optioned with everything so it did have the premium audio since new.

Used car ownership is always fun

I think what I need to do is find some local BMW group and maybe go to a meetup or something, this way I could look at a bunch of other cars to compare.
Where are you in NH? There are a few in the state. I have an E90M3 in Concord.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #29
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Where are you in NH? There are a few in the state. I have an E90M3 in Concord.
I'm in Derry. Are there any local meets or groups?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #30
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
That's not an M3 this belongs in the poser thread
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #31
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Search you will find what should be within.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #32
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
If there are not at least two hookers, either dead or alive, you need to bring the car back. Its amazing what some used car dealers will try to pull these days...