BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-03-2024, 05:14 PM   #1
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP

BMC filter vs Dinan Intake

I’ve been looking for intakes to improve s65 induction noise, and went with a BMC filter. It got the job done, but I was still entertaining other options short of going for a carbon plenum. I was on the fence about going for a dinan CAI, so I bought a Dinan CF elbow to see if changing from the plastic elbow generates any more sound. I like the cosmetics of the dinan intake a lot too. After putting the elbow on, I didn’t notice any additional noise. Thanks to Amazon, I just returned it.
It’s worth noting that the full dinan CAI kit has a larger diameter filter outlet, so I could be missing out. Anyone know if a full CAI is louder than just a filter?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 08:46 PM   #2
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Bean View Post
I’ve been looking for intakes to improve s65 induction noise, and went with a BMC filter. It got the job done, but I was still entertaining other options short of going for a carbon plenum. I was on the fence about going for a dinan CAI, so I bought a Dinan CF elbow to see if changing from the plastic elbow generates any more sound. I like the cosmetics of the dinan intake a lot too. After putting the elbow on, I didn’t notice any additional noise. Thanks to Amazon, I just returned it.
It’s worth noting that the full dinan CAI kit has a larger diameter filter outlet, so I could be missing out. Anyone know if a full CAI is louder than just a filter?
cowl delete $80. lots of induction noise enters the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:09 PM   #3
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
cowl delete $80. lots of induction noise enters the cabin.
Nice, I also found BMS cowl filters for $30. Although would that present any issues with water getting into places it shouldn’t?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:20 PM   #4
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Nice, I also found BMS cowl filters for $30. Although would that present any issues with water getting into places it shouldn’t?
been driving with the filters for a long time in rain and out of rain.

it doesn't pose much of an issue if your car is garage kept. but if it does sit out side then i probably wouldn't bother.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 01:20 PM   #5
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
been driving with the filters for a long time in rain and out of rain.

it doesn't pose much of an issue if your car is garage kept. but if it does sit out side then i probably wouldn't bother.
Ok, mine sits in the rain regularly so I’ll probably skip. Tempted to test a full dinan system, and long term I’d pair it with a carboproject plenum. I found direct sound clips of BMC filter+ plenum and dinan+plenum and it’s a bit louder.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:46 PM   #6
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Some people say “Arma Speed” carbon fiber intake significantly increases the intake sound..
It’s around $1200, a little pricey..

I just bought a intake sound tube kit from “SC Foster Mods” which is to be connected between the OEM plastic elbow & the cabin through the firewall. The kit comes with items necessary to drill a hole in the plastic elbow as well as the firewall.
I’m not very comfortable drilling a hole in the firewall but if it significantly increases the intake sound, then it might be worth the $180 or so that it costs..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:29 PM   #7
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
I tried looking for just an elbow that works with the factory style filter. Can you share a link or Part #? I'll look again but I swear I kept seeing the whole CAI only which requires their specific filter.

EDIT: Is it D760-0024? I don't know why I couldn't find this last time. Anyway, so seems this alone won't add much noise in addition to an aftermarket filter. I got the aFe filter myself.

Last edited by a5m; 03-05-2024 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:33 AM   #8
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

All aftermarket filters with the stock intake box, with or without an aftermarket elbow will produce very close if not exactly the same sound.

The only way to get more induction sound above an aftermarket air filter is to:
1. Do the cabin filter cowl filters
2. Remove the top cover off the air filter box and run an "open filter" setup
3. Install new aftermarket carbon plenum.
      03-06-2024, 12:24 PM   #9
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
I tried looking for just an elbow that works with the factory style filter. Can you share a link or Part #? I'll look again but I swear I kept seeing the whole CAI only which requires their specific filter.

EDIT: Is it D760-0024? I don't know why I couldn't find this last time. Anyway, so seems this alone won't add much noise in addition to an aftermarket filter. I got the aFe filter myself.
Yes, D760-0024, really just cosmetic. I was testing a theory that maybe CF would resonate differently, but no. I further concluded that any gains dinan is claiming for the full CAI are due to the filter, so the best performance and sound increase is gained from a drop in filter.
Appreciate 1
a5m614.00
      03-06-2024, 12:31 PM   #10
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Some people say “Arma Speed” carbon fiber intake significantly increases the intake sound..
It’s around $1200, a little pricey..

I just bought a intake sound tube kit from “SC Foster Mods” which is to be connected between the OEM plastic elbow & the cabin through the firewall. The kit comes with items necessary to drill a hole in the plastic elbow as well as the firewall.
I’m not very comfortable drilling a hole in the firewall but if it significantly increases the intake sound, then it might be worth the $180 or so that it costs..
Yes, arma proves that modifying the air box lid produces the most resonance in the system. The best bang for buck is probably a carbon air box lid for ~600, or a Carbo project plenum with only the top half being carbon for $1400. Issue is i found those lids crack after a year of use. Not sure I’d like to drill my firewall either.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:38 PM   #11
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
All aftermarket filters with the stock intake box, with or without an aftermarket elbow will produce very close if not exactly the same sound.

The only way to get more induction sound above an aftermarket air filter is to:
1. Do the cabin filter cowl filters
2. Remove the top cover off the air filter box and run an "open filter" setup
3. Install new aftermarket carbon plenum.
I’m curious if running a carbon air box lid would produce a nice sound increase too. I’d get $30 cowl filters but rain is a concern for me. Along with the ecu being exposed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:39 PM   #12
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

When you guys are talking about replacing cabin cowl filters, are you talking about just removing the two OEM filter housings and replacing them with just a filter? Or are you talking about removing the whole cowl cover?

I did the latter w/ Turner's kit and def get a little more noise. It is not just induction noise, you get more valvetrain noise as well just FYI.

Here is my thread: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2057620

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:11 PM   #13
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Yes, arma proves that modifying the air box lid produces the most resonance in the system. The best bang for buck is probably a carbon air box lid for ~600, or a Carbo project plenum with only the top half being carbon for $1400. Issue is i found those lids crack after a year of use. Not sure I’d like to drill my firewall either.
https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...2#post-3307315

Was reading up on the Armaspsed intake, trying to understand how it's designed and why it's so loud. As the thread above shows, it's basically a open filter intake, hence the loudness. Their air box doesn't seal to the bumper duct, and just leaves a big hole open.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:02 PM   #14
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
I’m curious if running a carbon air box lid would produce a nice sound increase too. I’d get $30 cowl filters but rain is a concern for me. Along with the ecu being exposed.
CF lid on the air filter box? If your answer is yes then no, it has no detectable effect on sound level/quality. However, I haven’t had just the airbox CF cover installed by itself w/ everything else oem but I’ve had both the CF and oem covers installed with the CF plenum with no discernible difference in sound. Also, CF or oem plastic elbow makes no noticeable change in sound level and quality/frequency. CF plenum + all other combos, sound is dominated by plenum. Maybe a slight increase in sound level when CF plenum is used with aftermarket air filter vs. oem filter. I hope the combos aren’t too confusing
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:08 PM   #15
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
CF lid on the air filter box? If your answer is yes then no, it has no detectable effect on sound level/quality. However, I haven’t had just the airbox CF cover installed by itself w/ everything else oem but I’ve had both the CF and oem covers installed with the CF plenum with no discernible difference in sound. Also, CF or oem plastic elbow makes no noticeable change in sound level and quality/frequency. CF plenum + all other combos, sound is dominated by plenum. Maybe a slight increase in sound level when CF plenum is used with aftermarket air filter vs. oem filter. I hope the combos aren’t too confusing
Yeah my train of thought was if removing the lid (on oem plenum) is done by some people to hear more induction, maybe a CF lid allows for some noise without drawing in warm engine bay air. The combos make sense, I’m glad I tested the elbow theory myself too. What plenum do you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:37 PM   #16
S65V8M3E92
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Honestly BMC has been great and for the price you cant really beat it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:34 PM   #17
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Someone traded in a Dinan E93 M3 at my work over the weekend, long story short I drove it about half a mile and immediately ordered the Dinan intake for my E90 M3. You can hear it so clearly inside the cabin and the tone is really great. I have never experimented with different drop in filters on this platform so no comment on how this compares to those but I felt the sound was well worth $600 and an easy self-installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:06 PM   #18
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Dang...maybe I should get a Dinan intake too.... :O

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 04:52 PM   #19
E92Bean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Someone traded in a Dinan E93 M3 at my work over the weekend, long story short I drove it about half a mile and immediately ordered the Dinan intake for my E90 M3. You can hear it so clearly inside the cabin and the tone is really great. I have never experimented with different drop in filters on this platform so no comment on how this compares to those but I felt the sound was well worth $600 and an easy self-installation.
Interesting to hear! I wonder if the larger mouth of the filter aids in more noise. I know my filter has added some volume, not a crazy amount though. I’m thinking if I get a full intake, and it sounds great, I’d just spend carbon plenum money on an x pipe and tune.
Appreciate 0