BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #23
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You guys need to keep the amount of weight saved by the CF sunroof in perspective. I think it will be about 10-15 lbs. You could loose that on a diet in 2 weeks or by not carying anything around with you in your car. I agree that the whole sunroof/CF roof is not nearly enough to not by the car.

And in regard to the Cayman: Girls car (IMO, no flames thanks). And in all performance areas E92 M3 > Cayman S. Sure we don't have exact specs yet but this is pretty much for sure.
Why even bother with a cayman? It's a try hard car, if you want a porsche it's a 911 or nothing..
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #24
bmwX5tudm
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 4.4i / BMW 335i

SUNROOF

As a BMW employee, the speculation I have been hearing is that there will probably be a "Carbon Roof Delete" option that will include the regular sheetmetal roof and a sunroof...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #25
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwX5tudm View Post
As a BMW employee, the speculation I have been hearing is that there will probably be a "Carbon Roof Delete" option that will include the regular sheetmetal roof and a sunroof...
How likely is there to be a sunroof delete option for the sheetmetal roof? I really want a body color roof with no hole in it.

If the only way to delete a sunroof is the CF roof, then so be it. Thanks for the info - that sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #26
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
How likely is there to be a sunroof delete option for the sheetmetal roof? I really want a body color roof with no hole in it.

If the only way to delete a sunroof is the CF roof, then so be it. Thanks for the info - that sounds interesting.
Not likely at all. You'll have to decide between CF and sunroof! If you want a body color roof with no hole "in" it, you have to wait for the M3 Convertible.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #27
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Not likely at all. You'll have to decide between CF and sunroof! If you want a body color roof with no hole "in" it, you have to wait for the M3 Convertible.

Best regards, south
The CF is starting to grow on me a little after seeing it on the rear spoiler of the Porsche GT3 RS. I will definitely and gladly take it over a sunroof if that is the only way.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #28
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Randy, If I were you I'd just have the roof painted after delivery. Any good body shop could do such a good job that you won't be able to tell it's not a factory paint job.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #29
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
i wasn't aware of that. i didn't think carbon fiber could be primed the same way normal metal can. can anyone confirm this?
CF body panels can indeed be painted. Just look at the McLaren F1, it's CF bodied and came in any color.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
Helix
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3CS

CSLs in the UK have had problems with paint non-adherence on CF parts. I believe it may be cured now, with special paint job (CF flexing was the issue, I gather).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #31
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Why even bother with a cayman? It's a try hard car, if you want a porsche it's a 911 or nothing..
Says someone who is driving an M badged 325.

LOL.

Don't judge a car by the badge, judge it by the performance and the way it handles and how enjoyable it is to drive.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #32
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Randy, If I were you I'd just have the roof painted after delivery. Any good body shop could do such a good job that you won't be able to tell it's not a factory paint job.
Yeah, but I would rather not paint on my brand new M3. I'll leave it be most likely. The purists will know if it gets painted.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 04:06 AM   #33
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Yeah, but I would rather not paint on my brand new M3. I'll leave it be most likely. The purists will know if it gets painted.
you use the word purist as if though it's something to strive to attain. a purist in the true sense of the word wouldn't do anything more to his M than tint the car, if that. the sickest cars you'll see at any car show, are owned by people who don't think so formulaically,unconfined thinkers... or in other words non-purists. if i had to choose between purism, and uniqueness... and ultimately that is exactly the choice you're faced with.... i choose the latter. hands down.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 04:21 AM   #34
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post

LOL.

Don't judge a car by the badge, judge it by the performance and the way it handles and how enjoyable it is to drive.

-Adam
It's not an M badged 325ci, it's badged the 325ci, no m badges on the outside, it's the individual M clubsport edition you monkey all factory options, nothing after market.
FYI - i have ordered the e92 m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 04:23 AM   #35
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

LOL.

-Adam
FYI - the cayman is a half baked car for people who can't get into 911's, and for what it is it's a waste of money, i've driven the cayman and honestly it didn't impress me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #36
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
you use the word purist as if though it's something to strive to attain. a purist in the true sense of the word wouldn't do anything more to his M than tint the car, if that. the sickest cars you'll see at any car show, are owned by people who don't think so formulaically,unconfined thinkers... or in other words non-purists. if i had to choose between purism, and uniqueness... and ultimately that is exactly the choice you're faced with.... i choose the latter. hands down.
I won't even tint mine. I do enjoy looking at all of the unique cars with all of their 'upgrades', it's quite entertaining most of the time. I like the factory aesthetic myself. To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #37
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
FYI - the cayman is a half baked car for people who can't get into 911's, and for what it is it's a waste of money, i've driven the cayman and honestly it didn't impress me.
I couldn't diasgree more. The Cayman S (did you drive the one without?) is one of the best handling and "feeling" cars of today. The Cayman revives the idea and concept the 911 used to be years and decades ago. Only disadvantage is the lack of a lsd. I'm aware that there are many folks out there who don't care to much about how a car drives whereas they emphasize that everybody sees what big/expensive car they're driving... But on an unbiased view the Cayman is a great car. That's enough OT.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 06:06 AM   #38
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

option is CF or sunroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwX5tudm View Post
Correct, I just saw the first demo cars being spect for June production and the option is CF or sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #39
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
Correct, I just saw the first demo cars being spect for June production and the option is CF or sunroof.
CF it is then. I can live with that I guess. They probably figure that someone who is concerned with weight savings up high will not be the same guy that wants a sunroof (excluding swamp2).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #40
jjraiser
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Mustang GT

Quote:

The Cayman is a fantastic car. Its mid-engine set-up is the proper way a sports car should be set up; not a 911 rear-engine layout. Porsche has tuned the 911 over the years to be more stable and make it work well. And it is a great car, but the Cayman doesn't need to be tuned to be more stable and work well; it just does. All the reviews and write-ups confirm this.

As far as sunroofs, they are not for the purist and true sports car or purist driver. First of all, enjoying the sun(or moon) is not high performance driving. Second, proper seating position is upright, unless you're in a open wheel race car or you're some punk gansta. That said, taller drivers cannot seat themselves properly in a car with a sunroof, and it'll never pass the helmet test. No sunroofs for true sports cars. Besides, they're too damn expensive!

However, I get the idea that not everyone wants what I want. I do know there are plenty of you out there who do dig on pure sports cars. In the end, a car such as an M3 with much wider market than an M6 or M5 should have appeal to that wider market. They should offer a no sunroof CF and a metal roof with a sunroof OPTION. No one's right or wrong, but I'll be pissed if there's no M3 without a sunroof. Hell, I'm miffed I can get a new 3 Series for that very reason!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #41
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjraiser View Post
The Cayman is a fantastic car. Its mid-engine set-up is the proper way a sports car should be set up; not a 911 rear-engine layout. Porsche has tuned the 911 over the years to be more stable and make it work well. And it is a great car, but the Cayman doesn't need to be tuned to be more stable and work well; it just does. All the reviews and write-ups confirm this.

As far as sunroofs, they are not for the purist and true sports car or purist driver. First of all, enjoying the sun(or moon) is not high performance driving. Second, proper seating position is upright, unless you're in a open wheel race car or you're some punk gansta. That said, taller drivers cannot seat themselves properly in a car with a sunroof, and it'll never pass the helmet test. No sunroofs for true sports cars. Besides, they're too damn expensive!

However, I get the idea that not everyone wants what I want. I do know there are plenty of you out there who do dig on pure sports cars. In the end, a car such as an M3 with much wider market than an M6 or M5 should have appeal to that wider market. They should offer a no sunroof CF and a metal roof with a sunroof OPTION. No one's right or wrong, but I'll be pissed if there's no M3 without a sunroof. Hell, I'm miffed I can get a new 3 Series for that very reason!
Bravo! I agree with everything you said.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #42
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's not an M badged 325ci, it's badged the 325ci, no m badges on the outside, it's the individual M clubsport edition you monkey all factory options, nothing after market.
FYI - i have ordered the e92 m3.
My point is that your car is trying to be an M harder than the Cayman is trying to be a 911.

The 325 is a great car, as is the M3, as is the Cayman, as is the 911.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #43
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The reason it didn't impress you is because you're jaded by the 911 snob mentality. The Cayman, by all accounts is one of the best sports cars on the market.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #44
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

Quote:

LOL.

-Adam
Exactly guess he doesn't understand how a mid engine car feels and handles like... get a life
Appreciate 0