BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep
Drives: RedcarWhitetruck

Berk - Race axle back style exhaust for m3

Does anyone produce an axle back similar to something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Berk-Axle-Ba...034a6f&vxp=mtr

A nice clean, no muffler straight pipe set up for the e9x m3? Had that pipe on my 135 and loved the look and the sound. I would imagine this style of set up (duals obviously) would also have a wicked sound for the m
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heps View Post
Does anyone produce an axle back similar to something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Berk-Axle-Ba...034a6f&vxp=mtr

A nice clean, no muffler straight pipe set up for the e9x m3? Had that pipe on my 135 and loved the look and the sound. I would imagine this style of set up (duals obviously) would also have a wicked sound for the m
I posted a vid of straight pipes; sounds awesome and literally no drone. Acutally MUCH quieter than my Gintani Race setup. FYI you can have these made super cheap at any competent muffler shop as it's really 2 straight sections of pipe with 2 small bends. The link you posted is essentially the same thing, just overpriced/
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
m3an
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
m3an
Banned
Rep

FYI it will be much louder than the turbo BMW you had prior though
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
I posted a vid of straight pipes; sounds awesome and literally no drone. Acutally MUCH quieter than my Gintani Race setup. FYI you can have these made super cheap at any competent muffler shop as it's really 2 straight sections of pipe with 2 small bends. The link you posted is essentially the same thing, just overpriced/

I kind of figured that would be the route to take, wouldnt take them any more then 2 hours to complete? Weld the stock tips on or source aftermarket and your laughing.

That video sounds incredible-what an agressive growl I love it.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Zaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT Competition

Meisterschaft Super GT

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770916
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
I posted a vid of straight pipes; sounds awesome and literally no drone. Acutally MUCH quieter than my Gintani Race setup. /

Really NO drone with straight pipes? Im not calling you a liar but that just doesnt make much sense to me. Ive heard the Gintani race so I agree with you that it drones a ton...but how can straight pipes possibly be quieter?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaw View Post

That is downright beautiful. What a sinister sound
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Really NO drone with straight pipes? Im not calling you a liar but that just doesnt make much sense to me. Ive heard the Gintani race so I agree with you that it drones a ton...but how can straight pipes possibly be quieter?
I have a muffler delete and it drones like crazy...anything below 3000 on the freeway. but the sound it makes when you punch it is intoxicating.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM55 View Post
I have a muffler delete and it drones like crazy...anything below 3000 on the freeway. but the sound it makes when you punch it is intoxicating.
Oh Im sure it sounds awesome. I just figured there had to be a lot of drone, how can there not be?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Oh Im sure it sounds awesome. I just figured there had to be a lot of drone, how can there not be?
exactly
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
m3an
Banned
Rep

I find some people's understanding of drone is not really accurate. While the straight pipes are def very loud there is not noticeable drone. The noise stays behind the car. Drone is the same as blowing over a beer bottle and getting that resonating hum. Think flowmasters on a mustang. My gintani has a muffler and drones a lot. The straigjt pipes do not exhibit the same drone at all. Amazing but remember just cause the gintani and other Race exhausts use mufflers you still get a resonance created in the muffler itself that doesn't exist on a straigjt pipe setup. Ideally I think a set of straigjt pipes would sound sick with two added resonators 12" Bottle type. Reall deep and aggressive. So that's my story. And my vid above. I stil have them, but there just sitting not mounted. They sound amazing but are def on the Loud side. Interior wise def more tolerable than most race exhausts I've driven.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
+1..I can't see how straight pipes would not drone.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I find some people's understanding of drone is not really accurate. While the straight pipes are def very loud there is not noticeable drone. The noise stays behind the car. Drone is the same as blowing over a beer bottle and getting that resonating hum. Think flowmasters on a mustang. My gintani has a muffler and drones a lot. The straigjt pipes do not exhibit the same drone at all. Amazing but remember just cause the gintani and other Race exhausts use mufflers you still get a resonance created in the muffler itself that doesn't exist on a straigjt pipe setup. Ideally I think a set of straigjt pipes would sound sick with two added resonators 12" Bottle type. Reall deep and aggressive. So that's my story. And my vid above. I stil have them, but there just sitting not mounted. They sound amazing but are def on the Loud side. Interior wise def more tolerable than most race exhausts I've driven.
You do realize that an e90 is different from an e92 in this regard, the rear center counsel on the e92 is like a resonance box that magnifies drone..this is perhaps why you dont experience it. Add to that the subjectivity on what is drone and you will have totally different view points
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontrelli View Post
You do realize that an e90 is different from an e92 in this regard, the rear center counsel on the e92 is like a resonance box that magnifies drone..this is perhaps why you dont experience it. Add to that the subjectivity on what is drone and you will have totally different view points
why would the e90 and e92 have different exhaust layouts?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Meisterschaft super gt is basically a straight pipe but the bends are designed to act as a muffler in away. on the other hand if you want something like you old setup, you can do as m3an said and get a muffler delete. VSmotorsports sells nice tips by the way.

another exhaust that is similar to your old setup on ur 135 would be Revinora race which is basically a straight pipe with two resonators.

Oh and you would want to stay away from a full exhaust if your going with a race muffler too loud for the legal limit in Ontario even here in Quebec which your not even allowed to change your muffler under the law. plus the v8 will be much louder than the turbo 6
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
why would the e90 and e92 have different exhaust layouts?
Not different lay outs although the e92 exhaust is slighly longer

Its a difference in the coupe vs the sedan design, The coupe's real center counsel acts like a resonance box, which traps and ampflies exhaust sounds, (drone, rasp etc)

I have compared first hand the same exhaust on an e90 and e92. Noticeable difference inside the e92 cabin
Appreciate 0