BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

11-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Race: ZR1 v. GTR v. GT2 v. 599

Corvette ZR1 against the Nissan GTR, Ferrari 599 GTB, and Porsche GT2 in a no holds barred drag race.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OZlGMX8G3B4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OZlGMX8G3B4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Repost: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183278
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
eeeboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08M3 Space Gray DCT

didn't see the first post, so thanks!!!50C
sweet race
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

nice, a lot of $$ on that tarmac
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

the match up should have been around a track.

Drag race was almost obvious.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post

Agreed but even on most tracks of which most are very smooth, the ZR1 will always win and even more so if the track includes decent straights. But take them to bumpy less power bias tracks and the GTR will be set to perform an unset.

Take nothing away from the Vette, it's a mighty machine which beats just about anything else but only in the disciplines of acceleration and normal trackdays. On the public highway and backroads the GTR will still be the machine to have.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
... On the public highway and backroads the GTR will still be the machine to have.
If you can afford the upkeep and are not afraid of the Nissan dealerships who have to service it.
      11-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
monaroCountry
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Agreed but even on most tracks of which most are very smooth, the ZR1 will always win and even more so if the track includes decent straights. But take them to bumpy less power bias tracks and the GTR will be set to perform an unset.

Take nothing away from the Vette, it's a mighty machine which beats just about anything else but only in the disciplines of acceleration and normal trackdays. On the public highway and backroads the GTR will still be the machine to have.

Im not so sure about this. The Corvettes Magnetic Select Ride control has tamed the ride and handling. I think that on rough roads the ZR1 would be easier and more manageable as well as far more comfortable than the GTR.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post

Its been done. ZR1 has proven to be quicker around a track than most of its competition, including the all mighty GTR.

I enjoyed the video, something different. At least they didn't stop at the 1/4 mile mark.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

You have your unit so far up the GTR tail pipes, its unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Im not so sure about this. The Corvettes Magnetic Select Ride control has tamed the ride and handling. I think that on rough roads the ZR1 would be easier and more manageable as well as far more comfortable than the GTR.
Correct.

From edmunds comparo:
"After a dozen or so high-speed smokies, we settle into a slightly more relaxed pace on the road west, where the ZR1 proves itself a surprisingly comfortable road car. The Chevy's adjustable suspension soaks up the kind of small bumps that make the GT-R annoyingly jumpy on the highway. Changes in the pavement don't generate nearly as much tire roar as the Nissan produces, either."
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post

Correct.

From edmunds comparo:
"After a dozen or so high-speed smokies, we settle into a slightly more relaxed pace on the road west, where the ZR1 proves itself a surprisingly comfortable road car. The Chevy's adjustable suspension soaks up the kind of small bumps that make the GT-R annoyingly jumpy on the highway. Changes in the pavement don't generate nearly as much tire roar as the Nissan produces, either."
that's dead on , I saw that review also, not to mention the ZR1 will be cheaper to maintain and if the ZO6 is any indication, be able to take a hell of a beating on the track and 1/4 and drive home.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
I am impressed by the GTR's abilities and for it's price (in the UK especially) there is nothing to compete with it. The ZR1 is one hell of a car but cost over double the GTR and when that is taken into consideration and how close the GTR is to it in term of lap times, top speed and acceleration you have to conclude it's the best bargain sportscar of all time.

If I was an American I too would be championing the Vette, it's the all-American star which has shown the rest of the world that you (USA) can built the best sportscars in the world. But in doing so it's an achievement done at a price, where the rest including the GTR have a quality feel on entering the cockpit, the Vette still feels cheap. It's driving style is an old school approach which may appeal to the States, myself I prefer a car to help when at all possible and the GTR meets that requirement, it's speed on the track is less effort than the Vette which when transferred to the road make for less scary progress.

But to think my 'thing' is so far up the GTR's pipes, mate you are so wrong. I like their approach of offering so much car for so much less than the rest.

It's refreshing in a world where everyone is out to do the consumer.
Appreciate 0