BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

09-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
they are better...mainly because the car is engineered WITH the Haldex in mind from the very beginning. Most other companies, BMW included add AWD as an afterthought.....with Audi, AWD is a priority from the beginning. BIG difference.

Haldex works great in Audis...i've driven all types of Torsen and Haldex systems and they are definitely comparable now in the new generation systems. Torsen is now using an electronic differential just like Haldex to shift between power.
Fair enough...I am just speaking from my experience of owning several Audis. My A3 3.2 Quattro was a great car but the AWD system wasn't the best. I shouldn't be able to chirp the front tires on a hard launch in an AWD car. As I remember there were a few companies that made some mods for the Haldex system to make it more aggressive. Having said all that...I would love to get my hands on a good used RS4.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I agree, Haldex, even the Gen6 or whatever is in the Mk6 Golf R, still isn't anywhere near being as solid as a full time setup. It will be interesting to see real world tests of the A45, since it apparently uses an older Haldex setup that can only send a max of 60% to the rear, or the same as the fixed rate of a normal xDrive, quattro or 4Matic setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Fair enough...I am just speaking from my experience of owning several Audis. My A3 3.2 Quattro was a great car but the AWD system wasn't the best. I shouldn't be able to chirp the front tires on a hard launch in an AWD car. As I remember there were a few companies that made some mods for the Haldex system to make it more aggressive. Having said all that...I would love to get my hands on a good used RS4.
what year was your A3? so the funny thing about Haldex is that they keep sneaking newer generations into the same car. So early 8P A3s had an older Haldex while my 2012 had a much newer one. My '01 TT has an even older version.

I do agree that Torsen AWD systems are better....but considering the compact size and adjustability (as you mentioned, through aftermarket mods) of the Haldex system----they are very good!

FWIW, i cannot chirp the tires on my A3....even pedal smashed to the ground...it is aggressively grounded.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Next-gen A3.
Volvo S60.
Volvo XC90.
Evo X, that's ABOUT 40k.
Used Evo 8/9.

anyone who says X1: You realize the X1 is the same as the E91 wagon on stilts, right? If you advise someone to get an X1, they may as well buy a CPO'd E9x. Because that'll give off even more of that hydraulic steering feel, and not make you look like a soccer mom.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #27
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

How about a CPO X5 M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #28
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
anyone who says X1: You realize the X1 is the same as the E91 wagon on stilts, right? If you advise someone to get an X1, they may as well buy a CPO'd E9x. Because that'll give off even more of that hydraulic steering feel, and not make you look like a soccer mom.
The CPO e91, in addition to not having complimentary maintenance and a worse warranty than a new X1, is a few inches longer (same wheelbase though), a few pounds heavier, and at least .2s slower to 60 than the X1. And of course, it lacks the ground clearance of the X1 - which believe it or not is useful, especially for the OP since he seems to want a "SUV." The X1 is not a full SUV, but is a more compelling package than then a used, slower e91 for someone looking for a "new/newer" "SUV."

Also, the A3 and both Volvo's you listed are pretty much estrogen powered.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Further, good luck getting an E91 with the N55 in the US.
Appreciate 0