BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #23
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb
people knock Dinans stuff but this is just one of the reasons i have used there stuff over the years and in addition to liking the products i have never once had a warranty issue with any of my 3 M cars over the years including this one.
+1
People can bring every Law in the book but unless you're a lawyer yourself, it's gonna cost a shit load of money to prove that BMW violated your consumer rights. DINAN doesn't give me that worry as its installed directly by my dealer itself. While I agree their products are not as great as other manufacturers, the piece of mind and sleeping peacefully at night is worth the hit.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #24
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb
people knock Dinans stuff but this is just one of the reasons i have used there stuff over the years and in addition to liking the products i have never once had a warranty issue with any of my 3 M cars over the years including this one.
+1
People can bring every Law in the book but unless you're a lawyer yourself, it's gonna cost a shit load of money to prove that BMW violated your consumer rights. DINAN doesn't give me that worry as its installed directly by my dealer itself. While I agree their products are not as great as other manufacturers, the piece of mind and sleeping peacefully at night is worth the hit.
That is true. But unless you are buying warranty voiding parts I won't worry. Like new mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #25
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

FYI dinan parts carry their own warranty and Dinan will stand behind that but it doesn't mean the BMW warranty cannot be voided. If you are worried leave the car stock. You have to pay to play.

People are foolish to put that much faith in Dinan stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #26
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
You couldn't have said it better my friend. Had I read this old post 1.5 years ago when I upgraded my jb4 stage 1 to a stage 2 and drove. It for 1.5 years basically for the configurable MAP settings as well as a faster processor my F30 335i flew like lighting on 93 octane MAP 2, M exhaust, and just an oiled drop in air filter. My zero to 60 dropped by almost 2 seconds but that was very dangerous as at the time. I had no other mods to handle the extra boost settings nor adequate cooling.

Ran back to MAP 1 and the DME blew on me about 3-4 months later had to argues between 2 rival non parent company BMW dealerships, tried to get bmw NA involved because the car completely shut off going 30 mph no power brake, no power steering, and oddly enough. The AC TURNED OFF BUT THE RADIO STAYED ON HAHA!
Holy thread revival from 2010 Batman
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #27
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90
FYI dinan parts carry their own warranty and Dinan will stand behind that but it doesn't mean the BMW warranty cannot be voided. If you are worried leave the car stock. You have to pay to play.

You're right. However, the chances of a BMW dealer authorized to sell Dinan parts voiding your warranty or denying service because of dinan parts is much lower. Either way, even if they do, Dinan will cover the warranty claim if their part caused the defect to the car. So, theoretically, either BMW or Dinan cover the costs, not the consumer. But of course, this is in theory. As a car fanatic that loves modding, I'd just rather buy parts from a company that my dealer won't freak out about.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #28
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R
Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90

You're right. However, the chances of a BMW dealer authorized to sell Dinan parts voiding your warranty or denying service because of dinan parts is much lower. Either way, even if they do, Dinan will cover the warranty claim if their part caused the defect to the car. So, theoretically, either BMW or Dinan cover the costs, not the consumer. But of course, this is in theory. As a car fanatic that loves modding, I'd just rather buy parts from a company that my dealer won't freak out about.
The only thing I would worry about besides a potential warranty problem would be dinan going out of business.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #29
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
The only thing I would worry about besides a potential warranty problem would be dinan going out of business.
Dinan is now owned by a very large equity firm, the same company that owns Hurst (shifters), and Flowmasters (exhausts). Steve Dinan sold the company two years ago. So with such a large company now owning Dinan, is the fear that they would be pillaged and closed, or that Dinan would close because they were in financial trouble (prior to being sold)?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #30
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Dinan is now owned by a very large equity firm, the same company that owns Hurst (shifters), and Flowmasters (exhausts). Steve Dinan sold the company two years ago. So with such a large company now owning Dinan, is the fear that they would be pillaged and closed, or that Dinan would close because they were in financial trouble (prior to being sold)?
IMO I don't know how they are in business right now. I think one of the worse industries to be in is the automotive after market. Specially a company who make parts for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #31
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

There's a new bill if some of you haven't kept up with automotive news where auto manufacturers are trying to make it illegal for the owner to modify, add, or even tamper with ANY vehicle's ECU or anything related to the motor's computer.

Which now raises the question so it's ok for bmw, amg, Dinan, and other warrantied tuners to mess with your car's electronics but other aftermarket companies that aren't recognized now are going to be out of business?!

This is almost as nuts as Texas CHL holders being allowed to open carry their firearm in establishments where there is no regulation sticker that states weapons are not allowed on the premises.

Ahh...the fat cats love stirring up trouble lol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #32
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
There's a new bill if some of you haven't kept up with automotive news where auto manufacturers are trying to make it illegal for the owner to modify, add, or even tamper with ANY vehicle's ECU or anything related to the motor's computer.

Which now raises the question so it's ok for bmw, amg, Dinan, and other warrantied tuners to mess with your car's electronics but other aftermarket companies that aren't recognized now are going to be out of business?!

This is almost as nuts as Texas CHL holders being allowed to open carry their firearm in establishments where there is no regulation sticker that states weapons are not allowed on the premises.

Ahh...the fat cats love stirring up trouble lol
..and i read that most exhausts that are freer flowing need a tune to get rid of the akra-dip, and you assume bmw will deny anything major if they find a tune.

Some times are removable but do those tunes that may be undetectable when removed still flush all codes and reset readiness?

If so I read a bmw tsb for n54 that advised dealers to look for no codes at all and,/or emissions readiness not being set as a sign off tuning our recent time removal. I don't think I've seen any tuner say openly that they hard-set readiness on removal (USA emissions laws?). Cobb implied once on n54 platform that they knew of this and were not concerned but didn't embellish.

If such a TSB also exists for s65, you have to then somehow remove exhaust, tune, and then drive long enough to reproduce the code and obtain readiness. Only then will all traces of tuning be removed. That is potentially not possible depending on the fault.

Chris
Appreciate 0