BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Bridgestone S04 Pole Position Review

Hey guys,

So I just got a new set of wheels to use for the street and a couple of track days a year (assuming I dont get terribly addicted to tracking after my first track day coming up in may).

I have advan TCIII wheels wrapped in 265/35 and 285/35 Bridgestone S04 tires. I chose these tires because I wanted to have a nice riding DD tire for the streets of Houston, but also have a tire that could somewhat perform on the track.

I decided to try these out over the Pilot SS tires which I have used before. So far, I like them better for a few reasons.

-they are a good bit cheaper than PSS
-they look better than PSS
-the sidewall feels stiffer, and isnt as prone to rolling over
-the ride is better than PSS
-steering is firmer and more precise, best steering feel of any tire ive used on this car, made a very noticeable difference

The negatives would be that they are heavy relative to PSS and maybe they dont have the ultimate grip that a PSS has, but neither of these things are apparent on the street at all to me.

Overall, a really good DD tire that is under-rated on this forum. I will update this thread with track thoughts, though since its my first day, im not sure what kind of valuable insight i will have other than how they wear.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 14505
Size:  153.5 KB
      04-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Wheels look good.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

So is your comparision between the S04 and the PSS based on the same sizes? Most things you say seem consistent with what I have read other places, but I'm a little surprised you say they ride better than the PSS since I thought the S04 were supposed to ride a little firmer than the PSS.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

S04 has definitely gotten lost in the shuffle a bit with all the (deserved) hype surrounding the PSS. I can vouch for their excellent stability and steering response from our testing. The grip level is excellent. Not quite equal to the PSS, but better than most other tires in the category.
      04-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Hey Ben,

I'm currently running the RE-11, which I purchased from you guys.

How would you compare the S-04's to the RE-11's?

Would like your feedback for a tire replacement coming up soon!
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

RE-11 is a competitor with the AD08, focused on dry grip primarily, with decent wet grip. Ride comfort is sacrificed for handling. Road mileage is sacrificed for durability under more aggressive driving.

The S04 is more like the Michelin PSS: aiming to be a balance between wet and dry, ride and handling. They'll generally have a little better life in normal driving, but are less well suited for track conditions.

So the RE11 is aimed at occasional track/autocross use, or those drivers who put dry grip and steering response above all else.

The S04 is the highest performance category of a pure street tire, striking a balance of all the factors that one encounters in everyday driving.
      06-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Having recently purchase a set of S04's myself, are these a directional tire or asymmetrical? They are advertised as asymmetrical, so does this mean it does not matter that the apparent arrow on the sidewall is in opposite directions on each side of the car and that the tread pattern is also reversed? I am confused.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Can someone tell me why Bridgestones are so heavy? Doesn't the company care about all that extra weight relative to their competition?
      06-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

S04 is badass. I run them on my 328i and they perform as advertised. Good grip and they look good too.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim944s View Post
Having recently purchase a set of S04's myself, are these a directional tire or asymmetrical? They are advertised as asymmetrical, so does this mean it does not matter that the apparent arrow on the sidewall is in opposite directions on each side of the car and that the tread pattern is also reversed? I am confused.

Thanks in advance for any help.
It looks like they are asymmetric and nondirectional, so there is an outside and an inside portion of the tread pattern, but it doesn't matter which direction the tires run. So when looking at the car from behind, the tread pattern on the left and right rear tires will look identical, instead of being mirror images of each other.

It does seem counterintuitive that a tire with diagonal tread block sections could run either direction, but apparently it works. This is the same situation with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Super Sport, the Pirelli PZero, the Bridgestone RE11, and other performance tires.
      06-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
It looks like they are asymmetric and nondirectional, so there is an outside and an inside portion of the tread pattern, but it doesn't matter which direction the tires run. So when looking at the car from behind, the tread pattern on the left and right rear tires will look identical, instead of being mirror images of each other.

It does seem counterintuitive that a tire with diagonal tread block sections could run either direction, but apparently it works. This is the same situation with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Super Sport, the Pirelli PZero, the Bridgestone RE11, and other performance tires.

Thank you good sir
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Can someone tell me why Bridgestones are so heavy? Doesn't the company care about all that extra weight relative to their competition?
look at any racing tire or extreme summer tire like ad08, re11, or rs3. they are all heavy. this is because the tire is stiffer and heavier to have better sidewall support under heavy cornering.

lightweight tires are fine and good, but there is a compromise and that is sidewall stiffness and stability under extreme loads and conditions, like on a track.

the extra weight isn't noticeable at all imo and the extra grip and steering feel is well worth it.

I ran re11 on my last M car for track and street and run re11 on my 997. both cars came with Michelin pilot and I tracked once on them in each car. the re11 is far superior. the pss is a very good street tire, but not made for the track at all.

For street tires, I prefer s04 over PSS since I think the steering feel is better and they are much less expensive.

Last edited by Black Gold; 06-30-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #13
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
For street tires, I prefer s04 over PSS since I think the steering feel is better and they are much less expensive.
How did the treadlife compare between the two?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
How did the treadlife compare between the two?
in my experience, very similar

I also think that the weight difference between the two is negligible.

both good tires, depends what you are looking for. on the street, in terms of performance I think steering feel and sidewall stability is the most important attribute. for that reason, I prefer the s04 and am not a big fan of the PSS.

that said, the re11 is on another level and that is what I run. this is also because I track my car often.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

[QUOTE=KennyPowers;14251584]
I also think that the weight difference between the two is negligible.

QUOTE]

From what I have seen for actual acceleration tests of different tire weights, its pretty negligible so it seems like it would have to be a placebo effect since your butt dyno isn't sensitive to a few percentages for a difference of 4-5 pounds a corner.

Tires also have different feels with regard to feeback and responsiveness which could impact how "fast" a car feels doing things like winding through curves even though there is no real actual difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

Ben:

What tires would you recommend in the GTS sizes of 255/35/19 285/30/19??? I know corsas come to mind... I, like everyone else would love to run PSS. However, I've read bad things about tracking PSS seeing melted outside corners but that's likely from lack of enough camber. I'm currently running stock sizes on ZCP in MP cups and they're about wasted. I come from a professional racing background so I notice very very minute differences, e.g. when I drive in the mountains I check/set pressures with a pyrometer-

I was told to check re11's but they don't make them in those sizes. I had those before on a prior track prepped Porsche 911 (re01r) and loved them. I've also had yoko a08d's and they were great but didn't last long at all.

I've had prior iterations of the s0's before and absolutely hated them. They were heavy as rocks making the car incredibly lazy in response from unsprung weight and had BS traction despite prior reviews. Thoughts?

My prior research has led me to doing PSS 255/30/19 275/30/19 to keep the same diameter ratio and not increase the rear diameter by going 275/35 and losing acceleration and balance. Comment?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
S04 has definitely gotten lost in the shuffle a bit with all the (deserved) hype surrounding the PSS. I can vouch for their excellent stability and steering response from our testing. The grip level is excellent. Not quite equal to the PSS, but better than most other tires in the category.

Last edited by spr; 07-14-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

I am running the R E -11s on my 135i and 1990 911. They are awesome tires. Very streetable but stick like race tires. Wet traction is very good until they are worn out.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
Ben:

What tires would you recommend in the GTS sizes of 255/35/19 285/30/19??? I know corsas come to mind... I, like everyone else would love to run PSS. However, I've read bad things about tracking PSS seeing melted outside corners but that's likely from lack of enough camber. I'm currently running stock sizes on ZCP in MP cups and they're about wasted. I come from a professional racing background so I notice very very minute differences, e.g. when I drive in the mountains I check/set pressures with a pyrometer-

I was told to check re11's but they don't make them in those sizes. I had those before on a prior track prepped Porsche 911 (re01r) and loved them. I've also had yoko a08d's and they were great but didn't last long at all.

I've had prior iterations of the s0's before and absolutely hated them. They were heavy as rocks making the car incredibly lazy in response from unsprung weight and had BS traction despite prior reviews. Thoughts?

My prior research has led me to doing PSS 255/30/19 275/30/19 to keep the same diameter ratio and not increase the rear diameter by going 275/35 and losing acceleration and balance. Comment?

Thanks!
Given that you're running the PSCup now, I'd probably go with the Corsa or the Dunlop Sport Max Race. Both are good, I think the Dunlop would probably turn the faster laps in most cases.

Regarding PSS: they're no worse than any other street tire on the track, and actually better than many.

Obviously the PSS are not available in the sizes you want but the following will apply to any street tires: If you take a street tire to the track, and your setup is not optimal and you don't take care of your tires, you will often find them ruined after 1 track day.

If you get the setup right, and if you drive to preserve the tires somewhat (slow-in/fast-out driving style, no drifting etc.) then they can do fine, but they'll never be as good on the track as a tire that was made for track use.

There's nothing in that size combo from the Extreme Performance category like the Re11 or AD08, so basically you're looking at either street tires or track tires. The track tires I mentioned are streetable, but will require caution if there is rain.
      07-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #19
m3anAPPLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

PSS currently on sale at tire rack. Def worth jumping on IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

^Did you mean S04 are on sale? Wow $200 cheaper for a set compared to PSS
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Ben I've heard great things about the AD08, but being in the north east and driving in rain a lot I'm struggling with my decision vs the PSS.
So my question is. How bad are they really in the wet? Are the RE-11 a little better in the wet than the AD08?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Ben I've heard great things about the AD08, but being in the north east and driving in rain a lot I'm struggling with my decision vs the PSS.
So my question is. How bad are they really in the wet? Are the RE-11 a little better in the wet than the AD08?
The AD08 are perfectly driveable in the wet, but they do not specialize in wet performance. The PSS aims to have excellent wet performance, and accepts a tradeoff of less-than-ultimate (though still very good) dry traction.

RE-11 are a little better in the wet than the AD08, but they are more like the AD08 than they are like the PSS.

For someone who does a lot of rain driving, I'd generally go with the PSS.