BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

03-23-2022, 07:10 PM   #1
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

planning to lower with Eibach Pro.

I'm planning to lower my e92 M3 with Eibach Pro,
what is the bushing I need for the rear what will get me a bit more travel?
similar to Dinan one.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 10:48 PM   #2
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

For the rear the only option is the Dinan RSM. Few do this for the rear since travel doesn't seem like an issue, but it's ~$100 and probably can't hurt.
For the front, you can make your own Dinan equivalent by getting E36 bump stops and trimming the top hat.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 01:54 AM   #3
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

lowering

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #4
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
For the rear the only option is the Dinan RSM. Few do this for the rear since travel doesn't seem like an issue, but it's ~$100 and probably can't hurt.
For the front, you can make your own Dinan equivalent by getting E36 bump stops and trimming the top hat.
I did an experiment yesterday out of curiosity and it seems you're right about rear travel not being as much of a problem as the front.

I have Eibach Pro Kit on 80k mile EDC shocks & struts + new stock E90 M3 bump stops. I bought my car used from the East Coast and the bump stops were destroyed so I put in new ones along with the springs. I found the ride to be a little annoying, followed the road up & down too much and would feel like it was running out of suspension travel way more often during normal driving than I wanted.

I put the car on our alignment rack at work and noticed that at ride height, all four bump stops are compressed already so they're engaged 100% of the time while driving. The fronts are easy to access without taking apart the struts so I cut off about 1" from the soft end of each one to test. Ride is much, much smoother and more comfortable and the handling balance is shifted noticeably more towards oversteer since this is effectively reducing the front spring rate by 100-200lbs/in (another member posted measurements of the stock bump stops which start at about 100lbs/in and ramp up to 700lbs/in when fully squished). Even at 1" shorter, the front bump stop still looks compressed at ride height with the Eibach springs.

Long story short, go for the E36 bump stops - they'll be a similar length as what I have but won't be missing the softest bottom section so their engagement will be smoother and more predictable than mine are. I was just trying to kill a little free time and learn something but if I was trying to do it right, I'd do the front and rear bump stops like Dinan sells and would also shave down the front strut mounts + install the Dinan rear ones while I had everything taken apart. Wish I had known to do that when I put in the Eibach springs a while ago.
Appreciate 2
wyatth3548.50
      03-26-2022, 08:55 PM   #5
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
I did an experiment yesterday out of curiosity and it seems you're right about rear travel not being as much of a problem as the front.

I have Eibach Pro Kit on 80k mile EDC shocks & struts + new stock E90 M3 bump stops. I bought my car used from the East Coast and the bump stops were destroyed so I put in new ones along with the springs. I found the ride to be a little annoying, followed the road up & down too much and would feel like it was running out of suspension travel way more often during normal driving than I wanted.

I put the car on our alignment rack at work and noticed that at ride height, all four bump stops are compressed already so they're engaged 100% of the time while driving. The fronts are easy to access without taking apart the struts so I cut off about 1" from the soft end of each one to test. Ride is much, much smoother and more comfortable and the handling balance is shifted noticeably more towards oversteer since this is effectively reducing the front spring rate by 100-200lbs/in (another member posted measurements of the stock bump stops which start at about 100lbs/in and ramp up to 700lbs/in when fully squished). Even at 1" shorter, the front bump stop still looks compressed at ride height with the Eibach springs.

Long story short, go for the E36 bump stops - they'll be a similar length as what I have but won't be missing the softest bottom section so their engagement will be smoother and more predictable than mine are. I was just trying to kill a little free time and learn something but if I was trying to do it right, I'd do the front and rear bump stops like Dinan sells and would also shave down the front strut mounts + install the Dinan rear ones while I had everything taken apart. Wish I had known to do that when I put in the Eibach springs a while ago.

I wish I had seen your write up.
Yesterday morning I got my car lowered ar MPL Motorwerks in Santa Clara.
I asked about shorter bump stop and he told me he will put shorter
bumpstop on the front.
I checked Turner and ECS early this week for the Dinan bumpstop for the rear but I didn't
See them.

So far the car drives pretty smooth except one time when I hit large bump and
made the front bounce.

I'll write review later when I put some more miles.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post

I wish I had seen your write up.
Yesterday morning I got my car lowered ar MPL Motorwerks in Santa Clara.
I asked about shorter bump stop and he told me he will put shorter
bumpstop on the front.
I checked Turner and ECS early this week for the Dinan bumpstop for the rear but I didn't
See them.

So far the car drives pretty smooth except one time when I hit large bump and
made the front bounce.

I'll write review later when I put some more miles.
Thanks.
What suspension setup are you running now? Stock struts with lowering springs?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
What suspension setup are you running now? Stock struts with lowering springs?
i have stock EDC with 63k miles.

I normally run soft setting on street and Eibach pro made it little bouncy.

now I set the EDC at mid setting and it's less bouncy.

it's tolerable.
Appreciate 0