BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

11-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Lumia 920 and connectivity?

What are your individual experience with Lumia 920 and BMW connectivity? I need to change my iphone 4 - dropped and shattered the glass - and considering the Lumia 920. I wouldn't mind sticking with the iphone and getting the iphone 5. But from the feature set, Lumia 920 looks streets ahead, and the Nokia has live tiles.

I saw somewhere, and not on this site, there is connectivity issues:
  • Bluetooth connectivity
  • contact list not syncing or not showing on idrive
  • pairing dropping off
  • phone freezing with on connection to the car
  • quality of bluetooth audio - music and voice

I would appreciate if someone could share their experience soon. I need to get a new phone badly. Lumia 920 is not available till 29 November in Australia and can be pre-ordered. If I buy an iphone I will be locked into a contract for the next two year. That's my dilemma. Thank you guys.
      11-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
WillC310
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A car

I'd tell you if I could drive my M3.. Right now it's trapped (!) in the garage because the house is getting remodeled and the contractors piled up a bunch of stuff behind it. Bah..

Anyway, I'll tell you what my experience has been so far... First, MS really needs to fix some bugs. I knew this was going to be the case but some of the problems really need to get addressed quickly -- random lockups, phones rebooting, and battery drain problems are probably the top 3 IMO. There also seems to be quite a bit of Bluetooth problems right now so unless you have patience I'd hold off. I had my old Lumia 800 paired up before and I didn't have any major BT problems so I suspect it's just a matter of time before this stuff gets resolved. I did have the phone book not sync up once, but that was after I made some firmware/app updates to the phone. Once I deleted it and re-paired them I never had the problem again.

I've got about a week on the phone now and even with all the problems I really like the phone. I don't see myself going back to an iPhone anytime soon. At first I thought the screen of the L920 was too big, but after a solid day on it, it's fine. When I look at an iPhone now I think it's too small, go figure. If possible, I'd pick up a used/unlocked iPhone and just wait it out a month or two.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Thank you for your experience. Since I didn't get a response for a couple of days I went and signed up for a iphone 5. It paired with my car the first time and working beautifully.

I see what you are saying, and I really wanted the Lumia 920. Looks like the Nokias are not popular on this forum. Just one response in four days. But its too late now. Thank you once again for your advice. Enjoy your phone and hope you can get your car out for a drive soon.
      11-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

that's strange because my 920 is working fine... battery lasts forever, the BT connects fine, I get my contacts (and even contact pictures) on iDrive and A2DP BT streaming is also working with no problem (including streaming over the artist/album/song names)..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
that's strange because my 920 is working fine... battery lasts forever, the BT connects fine, I get my contacts (and even contact pictures) on iDrive and A2DP BT streaming is also working with no problem (including streaming over the artist/album/song names)..
it appears OP has a CCC i-drive.

OP for what it's worth, and I know this is of absolutely no use to you, I have a CCC i-drive and I haven't had issues connecting newer smartphones to my i-drive. I have a HTC One S. I have notied that the first time you connect to the CCC, it takes a LONG time for the i-drive to pair it and read the phonebook. At first, I thought my contact book will never load. It took about 15 mins of keeping the phone paired and allow the CCC to read all the contacts. Once paired, now the sync is flawless. Sounds like some low RAM issue in the CCC computer
Appreciate 0