BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Magnetic plug? Word of caution...

So I decided today to change the oil on my E92 M3.

I had everything ready, oil, filter and had ordered 2 magnetic plugs that I wanted to replace my existing OEM plugs.

I decided to do it my self so I went to a rent per hour mechanic that for a small fee lets you rent their shop with a proper hydraulic lift. As well as disposing of the old oil for you.

Good stuff, I thought, lets get it done!

I get there, drain the oil, everything was going pretty much as planed.

I installed the first of the magnetic plugs in the front drain. The one that contains about 0.5-1.0L of oil. Perfect fit, everything looked good.

I then went to install the 2nd plug in the main dish, start turning the wrench, turn turn turn... Bitch keeps on turning.

I'm no pro at this stuff, but it turns out the plugs I got were aluminum and had a small magnet in them. The thread on the plug had stripped. And the plug was basically stuck in the pan, spinning endlessly.

Thank god for the 2 gentlemen there, who in the end, spent 2 hours with me fighting to remove the stripped plug.

We ended up drilling it, and clawing out the thin skin that was left over after the drilling. Magnet came out attached to the drill bit.

Saved me a $XXXX repair job as I know a pan swap on the E92 entails removing much of the front end.

So, a word of advice:

Be VERY cautions when installing an aluminum magnetic drain plug. If the thread strips, like it did on mine, your in for a hell of a job to get the bastard out.

This is the item I purchased:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-S...-/301113733836

In hindsight if you compare it to the OEM, the OEM is a nice solid piece of steel... This is not. I should have known.

Feeling quite lucky today, could have been bad... Real bad.

Going to do a quick oil change in about 250-500KM as its possible a tiny bit of the aluminum from the drilling was left in the pan. Although from what I could tell, everything came out quite clean.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
MisterEm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow turd

Not only is the craftsmanship suspect on this variant based on your install experience, the cheapo magnetic plugs lose their magnetism above 150 degrees F.

Dimple magnets or don't bother.

http://magneticdrainplugs.co/
      09-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
So I decided today to change the oil on my E92 M3.

I had everything ready, oil, filter and had ordered 2 magnetic plugs that I wanted to replace my existing OEM plugs.

I decided to do it my self so I went to a rent per hour mechanic that for a small fee lets you rent their shop with a proper hydraulic lift. As well as disposing of the old oil for you.

Good stuff, I thought, lets get it done!

I get there, drain the oil, everything was going pretty much as planed.

I installed the first of the magnetic plugs in the front drain. The one that contains about 0.5-1.0L of oil. Perfect fit, everything looked good.

I then went to install the 2nd plug in the main dish, start turning the wrench, turn turn turn... Bitch keeps on turning.

I'm no pro at this stuff, but it turns out the plugs I got were aluminum and had a small magnet in them. The thread on the plug had stripped. And the plug was basically stuck in the pan, spinning endlessly.

Thank god for the 2 gentlemen there, who in the end, spent 2 hours with me fighting to remove the stripped plug.

We ended up drilling it, and clawing out the thin skin that was left over after the drilling. Magnet came out attached to the drill bit.

Saved me a $XXXX repair job as I know a pan swap on the E92 entails removing much of the front end.

So, a word of advice:

Be VERY cautions when installing an aluminum magnetic drain plug. If the thread strips, like it did on mine, your in for a hell of a job to get the bastard out.

This is the item I purchased:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-S...-/301113733836

In hindsight if you compare it to the OEM, the OEM is a nice solid piece of steel... This is not. I should have known.

Feeling quite lucky today, could have been bad... Real bad.

Going to do a quick oil change in about 250-500KM as its possible a tiny bit of the aluminum from the drilling was left in the pan. Although from what I could tell, everything came out quite clean.

Next time use vaseline on the drill bit and no shavings will go into the pan and stay on the bit.

Also the OEM plugs are also designed to "give" before they do damage to the pan. They're made softer to be sacrificial and remember they are plugs, not bolts, so you don't have to torque them down like a mad man, just tighten gingerly.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
anom3
Captain
Rep

Thanks for pointers from both of the above posts.

I wont be trying that again, regardless. OEM or go home

I feel really stupid for even trying this to be honest... But *sigh*... Thought the idea of a magnet catching the bits of metal sounded like a good idea. And I'm sure it is, as long as you use a quality plug as mentioned by MisterEm.

Seriously feel like I dodged a $5000 bullet. I checked the price, the pan itself is roughly $1000USD (in local currency here)... Plus I can imagine the labor being quite involved.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Flea7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT/F48 X1/F430/F12

Garage List
2016 X1  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
2005 Ferrari F430  [0.00]
2014 Ferrari F12 Be ...  [10.00]
If you did stripped the threading on the oil pan...couldn't you tap and die? I would rather do this than replace the unit. Much more cost effective.
      09-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Threads don't strip themselves. Tighten the plugs by hand then carefully torque them to spec and they won't strip. With aluminum, this is critical... you have a lot of leverage with a wrench and getting a feel for when things are not threading smoothly or starting to strip is a bit of an art. Can't tell you how many times I've stopped and backed fasteners out and started over after taking a close look at the threads...

Steel sparkplugs in aluminum heads are one of those you definitely don't want to strip!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Aluminum also expands and contracts at a different rate than steel, so I would use caution simply with that in mind.
      09-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
THIS

Have used these on severall BMWs now.

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/bmwautomobiles.php
Are both S65 plugs the same from this place? Thought about ordering a set of magnetic plugs but never did due to issues with clearances on the pan and putting a wrench/socket to break it loose.

How is the fit and finish on the ones youre using? Any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Sorry no pictures. They are almost identical to the OEM ones. No clearance issues, even uses the same crush washers. The pic on the website is accurate.

Attachment 1092223
So you can easily access the plug with a socket and not have clearance issues with the head of the plug being too close to the pan from the area being recessed? i think I may get this plug!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

That's why I stick with OEM.
I only experiment with hobby cars that cost less than 20k.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

If the one that fits is still in there, I would remove it before the next oil change. I have heard stories where the magnet tip breaks off and you do not want it floating around inside your engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
anom3
Captain
Rep

we removed the one that was "ok" as soon as the thread issue came up with the other.

i forgot to mention this in my original post, but..

while this was all happening, the magnet off the one that did fit came off, after it was removed thank god.

frankly... i cant believe they are allowed to / do sell these.

by the looks of it the magnet was just glued in to the head. unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
If the one that fits is still in there, I would remove it before the next oil change. I have heard stories where the magnet tip breaks off and you do not want it floating around inside your engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
This is the reason I would never use one. It is asking for trouble it seems.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
jimk
Captain
Rep

Magnets don't stick to aluminum pans.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/bmwautomobiles.php
Anybody know which one to order? Website is confusing to say the least....

One size references M3, another for V8's, and yet another for E9x
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
jimk
Captain
Rep

I'm all for using dimple drain plugs. I was addressing your comment that if the magnet breaks it will stick to the oil pan and you know it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #17
anom3
Captain
Rep

exactly.

as mentioned by others, the pan it self is allum. so it wouldnt get stuck to that... what i would be more concerned with is it sticking to something non aluminum. eg: the oil pump / chain / etc... or worst :/

anyways by the looks of it, it sounds like this was a blessing in disguise as if it did mount correctly, and the magnet broke off inside... who knows what could have happened :/

Quote:
Not dimple magnets. I used this in an n54 for 5 years and saw temps over 250 deg F. They are rated for 300 deg F.

Besides which if you used a cheaper magnet that broke off, it wouldn't "float around" it would stick to something metal, most likey the oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #18
MisterEm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow turd

Quote:
  • M12X1.5X12 for Oil pan
  • M18X1.5X12 for Manual Transmission (NOT DCT)
  • M22X1.5X9 for Rear Differential

I am using all of them 2 for engine oil, 1 each for drain plug on trans & diff.

You can use 2 for the fill and drain plug on both the trans & diff, but that is overkill.

The magnet is so powerful one is all you need, I use two for the oil since there are 2 sumps.

Part #3
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...12&hg=11&fg=10

Part #6
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...66&hg=23&fg=15

Part #3
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...19&hg=33&fg=10
Very nice and good information. The dimple magnets have incredible power for their itty bitty size.

I have 3 dimple magnets on the M car (engine, diff, trans), 2 on the pickup and 4 on the X5 diesel (Xdrive, front/rear diff, engine, and trans).

The magnets do not go anywhere on any of the vehicles I've seen them on but they are expensive at $30 each.