BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

EXXEL Distributions

05-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Calgarians: Power Polish Recommendations

What is the best place for a power polish in Calgary? Is power polishing safe and effective or are dark colours always going to show more swirl or fine scratch marks and I'm just wasting my money?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azorean View Post
What is the best place for a power polish in Calgary? Is power polishing safe and effective or are dark colours always going to show more swirl or fine scratch marks and I'm just wasting my money?
I bought a random orbital buffer several years ago, did a BUNCH of reading, and now do all of this myself. I actually enjoy it and it is VERY easy if you take the time to learn. If you can't find someone in Calgary that knows what they are doing (and just because they have a "detail" business does NOT mean they know anything), do it yourself!

Also, IMO, dark cars benefit the most from proper prep and polishing. They will absolutely show more swirls and marring but, if done right, it can all be completely corrected and then avoided for a long time (not indefinitely) with proper washing techniques (two bucket, pre soak in foam, etc). If you find a good detailer, it is NOT a waste of money IMO if you then learn how to properly maintain the car.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yeah, been thinking about doing this myself because I've heard some nasty stories. I've been reading lots on the Meguiar's 105/205 products for this but it seems they can only be ordered and not available in stores. I don't even own a proper buffing machine so I figure it'll cost me $300 or more to set this all up and still have to do the work myself so why not hire a recommended pro to do this every couple of years?

I have a friend here who may be able to get me a polish with some guy for under $150 but I'll wait til he gets his car done first.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3

Google "Jed Bouscal" of "Mobile Reflections". I can personally vouch for his work ethic, and the quality of work. I know his prices can be a little dearer than comparable places, but his paint correction skills are phenomenal. Do tell him I referred you if you call.

Good luck
Asif
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
CCCP745LI
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E66 745LI

I bought rotary makita with buffing kit for 500$ from Bodyshop supplier I do my 745li myself takes a bit of time as it is a big car but it's worth it. I've done 6 step detailing on my car 3 times already and my paint is brand new. Swirl free at all times. Detail shop would charge crazy money for it and I don't trust ppl with my car. I recommend buying one and DIY
But u should be very careful with rotary as u can burn ur paint. But trust me no other polishing tool will give u same result as good makita or dewalt with proper woolpads and chemicals
And yes darker colors will show more imperfections I've done my friend Acura rdx 2010 black dammit it looked like mirror after I did it. Same with my friends BMW 125 even took deep scratches on his hood that he wanted to get repainting but that involved some wet sending
      05-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

http://www.refinesalon.com/detailing.html
      05-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
jjjheimer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 M-DCT

The guys at AutoObsessed.com sell Swissvax and seem to know their stuff. They had a huge both at the Edmonton Auto Show with a number of exotics they had detailed specifically for the show, many of which were black.

I'm considering the same do-it-yourself route because the last $500 I spent on an exterior detail for my Audi was a complete waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

I decided to go slow and do this myself with simple products first and hand buffing. I picked up some Meguiar's Ultimate compound and it seems to be working well (maybe 90% improvement) although my arm/shoulder is not doing so well and I have only done one small panel so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
CCCP745LI
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

I decided to go slow and do this myself with simple products first and hand buffing. I picked up some Meguiar's Ultimate compound and it seems to be working well (maybe 90% improvement) although my arm/shoulder is not doing so well and I have only done one small panel so far.
Mmm u should stop doing that never ever apply anything by hand except of wax. Ull spend 500-600$ for everything and it's gonna last u forever. Buy makita rotary and presta detail kit which includes everything u need 2 black wool pads one bottle of heavy cutting compound 2 green wool pads bottle of polish one foam blue pad bottle of swirl removal and hand wax DVD with explanation on DIY u might wanna buy clay bar with some microfiber towels that kit will last u forever and after ur 1st time ur gonna be wow.
Rather then paying 500$ for one sh!TTY detail u should buy one instead. I've done my car 3 times my friends cars and I have a lot left. With ur hand applying ur loosing ur time and energy if ur interested pm me and I'll tell u where to buy it with good discount good luck bro.
      05-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP745LI View Post
Mmm u should stop doing that never ever apply anything by hand except of wax. Ull spend 500-600$ for everything and it's gonna last u forever. Buy makita rotary and presta detail kit which includes everything u need 2 black wool pads one bottle of heavy cutting compound 2 green wool pads bottle of polish one foam blue pad bottle of swirl removal and hand wax DVD with explanation on DIY u might wanna buy clay bar with some microfiber towels that kit will last u forever and after ur 1st time ur gonna be wow.
Rather then paying 500$ for one sh!TTY detail u should buy one instead. I've done my car 3 times my friends cars and I have a lot left. With ur hand applying ur loosing ur time and energy if ur interested pm me and I'll tell u where to buy it with good discount good luck bro.
My arms, my arms!!

I finally finished it by hand and it does look much improved I must say. Power tools scare me on car paint but next time though I will follow your advice! Thanks for all the information.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
CCCP745LI
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP745LI View Post
My arms, my arms!!

I finally finished it by hand and it does look much improved I must say. Power tools scare me on car paint but next time though I will follow your advice! Thanks for all the information.
Lol I really feel sorry for u
      03-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
xbaie90
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335xdrive B8 S4

definitely for e90sim@ecuprogram.com
he did nice job yrs back on my E90 & B8 S4
pm him or check out his shop at NE. they do many other things too.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=hrs+detail this may helps too

pls say jason with S4 referred u
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #13
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbaie90 View Post
definitely for e90sim@ecuprogram.com
he did nice job yrs back on my E90 & B8 S4
pm him or check out his shop at NE. they do many other things too.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=hrs+detail this may helps too

pls say jason with S4 referred u
Why did you bump a year old thread?!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0