BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Question Low mileage maintenance

He anyone else brought their car in for time based maintenance for a low mileage car?

The service manual states that an oil change should be done at least once a year (and I am guessing the filter service with that since it calls for the air filter change every second oil change) and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything else that should be done. Brake fluid is every two years as I recall.

It should be covered under the maint plan, I hope they don't give me trouble have had to educate dealers before about required time based maintenance vs only doing what the computer tells them. I'm sure they will be happy to do a test drive and put miles on as they always are though :P
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
He anyone else brought their car in for time based maintenance for a low mileage car?

The service manual states that an oil change should be done at least once a year (and I am guessing the filter service with that since it calls for the air filter change every second oil change) and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything else that should be done. Brake fluid is every two years as I recall.

It should be covered under the maint plan, I hope they don't give me trouble have had to educate dealers before about required time based maintenance vs only doing what the computer tells them. I'm sure they will be happy to do a test drive and put miles on as they always are though :P
Do a search. This has been covered many many times.

If you put less than 6K miles a year, BMW will change your oil and perform time based maint on your car as part of maint plan. And yes, they will change your brake fluid every 2 years regardless of the milage.

Bottom line is, -if your car's indicator says "service due" BMW will service it and cover it under free maint service plan.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Do a search. This has been covered many many times.

If you put less than 6K miles a year, BMW will change your oil and perform time based maint on your car as part of maint plan. And yes, they will change your brake fluid every 2 years regardless of the milage.

Bottom line is, -if your car's indicator says "service due" BMW will service it and cover it under free maint service plan.
Thanks. I did search fwiw. The indicator does not say service due yet, it would be time based only to change oil, air filter and perhaps anything else people have had done that I might be missing for a 2011 DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I have a car on a low mileage maintenance plan. The CBS will tell you when you have to come in for each service. Dealer will ask you for your key fob, they insert into their reader and the computer system will pull up any required maintenance. This record reflects any updates to the maintenace intervals from BMW. At that point, dealer will tell you what BMW will require them to provide to you for free. If you think other items needs to be serviced, it's up to the discretion of the service advisor to negotiate any other rate for these non-required services. The most common negoitation is on service that is slightly earlier than scheduled. For instance, I came in 15k before the required spark plug maintenace, and negoitiated an free early plug change in lieu of the original schedule.

so if you're not sure what can be done early, you need to at least go to the dealer and let them read your fob, as you car's CBS interval is not updated by BMW.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673157
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
Thanks. I did search fwiw. The indicator does not say service due yet, it would be time based only to change oil, air filter and perhaps anything else people have had done that I might be missing for a 2011 DCT
They will not do anything until your car says service due..... When you start up, it either tells you the date or the mileage. Mine usually showed something like Dec 2012 --> 13000 miles..... Which means the car is due for an annual oil change even though the mileage is not reached. When I sold my M3 it was 2.5 years old with 5K miles..... It went to the dealer for 1200 and two additional oil changes.

When you turn the car on, what does your indicator say?

And here is a much more useful link to actual policy:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421437
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 12-04-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! With past BMWs I had to go in and argue for the time based maintenance, show them the manual, so I was expecting the same again. Will have to see what the computer says.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
They will not do anything until your car says service due..... When you start up, it either tells you the date or the mileage. Mine usually showed something like Dec 2012 --> 13000 miles..... Which means the car is due for an annual oil change even though the mileage is not reached. When I sold my M3 it was 2.5 years old with 5K miles..... It went to the dealer for 1200 and two additional oil changes.

When you turn the car on, what does your indicator say?

And here is a much more useful link to actual policy:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421437
Thanks for that link to the bulletin by the way, it states that some cars mileage will be insufficient for the computer to call for an oil change at 12 months for service so it is looking like there is a possibility of having to take it in without the car indicating.

There is some time though, it may be 365 or more since in service but there was the 1200mi oil change that I wasn't accounting for at first

5k in two and a half years is low! You beat me

Last edited by M3tallicar; 12-04-2012 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0